• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Negotiates Credit Line, Delays More Payments

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
I hate to say it, but I'm rather happy with this. I've have watched, for far too long, corner comic shops slump into the shadows because of big corporation-chain, book stores. Now that most of those stores are sinking, there is a newfound zeal in comic book shop owners.

Perhaps.

But about a year ago my LCS moved to a smaller space, I think, and their manga selection shrank. Or it appears to have shrunken. There is a Borders near them though. If that one folds, I never shop there, maybe the comic store might expand their manga section. I doubt it though.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
What's with the Borders has a small manga selection and is the same as Barnes and Noble and is no loss? Have you ever even been to one and realized it has a (free) rewards program with 33% to 40% twice weekly coupons? The Borders I go to has a great manga selection with various genres not just masses of shonen and shojo like Barnes and Noble with its (not free) rewards program and 15% (at most) coupons. I would cry if the Borders near me closed. I've been spoiled by its coupons and it is almost physically painful to pay for anything at full price (like at BN). It's even usually a better deal to buy from Borders then buying from Amazon. I really hope that they are able to pull through and that my store is spared.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
BookSock wrote:
Closing underperforming stores will help lower costs, and I think they'll be able to work through this.

Not only that, they need to get better people in management. Fire a few of the top guys and replace them with more competent people that knows about the book market as a whole.

I could not believe they thought forcing books onto customers would draw in sales. Why the **** would I wanna read about a Forest Fire or Soldiers on Horses?
loplop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
BookSock wrote:
Closing underperforming stores will help lower costs, and I think they'll be able to work through this.

Not only that, they need to get better people in management. Fire a few of the top guys and replace them with more competent people that knows about the book market as a whole.

Actually, that's the reverse of what happened in 2006 with Borders. In 2006, they got rid of all the people they had who really knew books, media, andhowto run their stores when they brought in a new CEO. At that time, It all became a numbers game that they could not survive because the new CEO at that time wanted to run it like any other retail store. Borders former uniqueness is what did make it a great place to shop. At least there is still Amazon and Right Stuf to get manga and anime from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2