• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NTV to Make Madhouse Anime Studio Its Subsidiary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chunx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
i only hope that NTV would not be imposing any restrictions on what the studio can produce or any limitations of any sort... business as usual please!
braves

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Their situation hadn't been looking too good for them lately given the talent that they've been letting go off and that they have lost. Hopefully this will shore things up on the TV front, since it looked like they were going to focus much more on movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Their situation hadn't been looking too good for them lately given the talent that they've been letting go off and that they have lost. Hopefully this will shore things up on the TV front, since it looked like they were going to focus much more on movies.

You forget, NTV has a robust theatrical division. They were the master licensor for the live action Death Note movies, and were on the production committees for both Summer Wars and Girl Who Leapt Through Time, IIRC. They also have a very close relationship with Studio Ghibli.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
braves wrote:

You forget, NTV has a robust theatrical division. They were the master licensor for the live action Death Note movies, and were on the production committees for both Summer Wars and Girl Who Leapt Through Time, IIRC. They also have a very close relationship with Studio Ghibli.

Yes. And NTV (and Yomiuri TV, which is in the same group) actually have only a small handful of timeslots for tv anime. (3-5 I think?)
Far less than TV tokyo which has like 30 or so.

I'm not sure about exactly why they purchased Madhouse, but in terms of putting their works on their TV station, I don't think that's relevant or possible.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd consider this good news.

samuelp wrote:
I'm not sure about exactly why they purchased Madhouse,

Quote:
NTV aims to have an operating profit of 300 million yen (US$3.6 million) in three years.
TJR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
NTV is bringing in their own people to restructure Madhouse. While it's good that they intend to keep the studio afloat (and the writing has been on the wall for a while now), Madhouse as we know it is probably finished.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'd consider this good news.

samuelp wrote:
I'm not sure about exactly why they purchased Madhouse,

Quote:
NTV aims to have an operating profit of 300 million yen (US$3.6 million) in three years.

Well, yeah, duh...
Obvious the reason one company buys another one is because they think/hope it will make them money.

The question of "why" I am asking is how it fits into NTV's overall business, not whether they think it can make money.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Didn't jsevakis just answer that? Razz
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Yea apparently they're the master licensor for Summer Wars as well. I thought it was weird that WB didn't license it, but apparently they were just the theatrical distributor in Japan (In GWLTT, Kadokawa took that job as M/IL even though both titles share pretty much the same production committee).

It's also worth noting that most titles (if not all) produced by D.N. Dream Parters have been animated by Madhouse. The way I'm seeing it, it was a marriage waiting to happen. Good luck to them though
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Yes. And NTV (and Yomiuri TV, which is in the same group) actually have only a small handful of timeslots for tv anime. (3-5 I think?)

Far less than TV tokyo which has like 30 or so.
How many TV anime series would a single studio be the animation producer on during a season?

If Madhouse has been shifting to a greater focus on theatrical releases, and if as Justin says, NTV has a robust theatrical division, one or a few TV series a season to maintain the commercial ecosystem for properties that are aimed at theatrical release probably makes good commercial sense, and NTV has sufficient anime timeslots for that.

samuelp wrote:
I'm not sure about exactly why they purchased Madhouse, but in terms of putting their works on their TV station, I don't think that's relevant or possible.
So putting their works on their TV station is relevant, but as a secondary rather than as a primary consideration.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
NTV seems to have a good track record and they already have produced a number of good Madhouse programs, on top of being a minority owner beforehand, so hopefully this bodes well for the studio in the end and doesn't disrupt the quality of their work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Has Madhouse made any TV shows recently? I can't remember any in recent years.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

They've done a lot over the last few years including Rainbow, Wolverine, Ironman, High School of the Dead, Kobato, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Monster and several others.

Don't forget those two little movies called Summer Wars and Redline they did last year. There's also the Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail OVAs they're currently doing. They've been quite active and have several successful titles under their wings.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
molibdaenum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

Oh, come on!
Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei
Highschool of the Dead
Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin
Aoi Bungaku
Kobato.
Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger
Needless
Iron Man
Wolverine (Running)
Kaiji - Season 2 (to come)

Last edited by molibdaenum on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
molibdaenum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

They've done a lot over the last few years including Rainbow, Wolverine, Ironman, High School of the Dead, Kobato, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Monster and several others.

Don't forget those two little movies called Summer Wars and Redline they did last year. They've been quite active and have several successful titles under their wings.

Birdy the Mighty Decode is from "A-1 Pictures". Madhouse made the OVA adaptation back in 1996.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2