• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clash of the Tytans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I also love that Dirty Pair exudes an extremely positive view of the future....It's as if Japan's '80s bubble economy extended naturally into space...Kei and Yuri never seem in danger of getting fired, so I suspect they are employed for life.

Compare to the '90's re-take Dirty Pair Flash where the new WWWA is in the middle of a filthy slum and Kei and Yuri damn near do get fired.

Charred Knight wrote:
I am just going to say that to this day I still don't know what Mizushima, and Kuroda where trying to say with Gundam 00. The apparent message is that humanity will stop fighting once they start to understand one another, but the plan by Celestial Being really doesn't accomplish anything but start more wars.

Gundam series tend to be unable to decide what they're trying to say (except maybe the wonderful 0080). They're all anti-war, but none of them escapes the fact that they're action series that need to deliver violence to entertain.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Yeah, I'm a bit nervous of how the movie will play out. I mean sure, knowing what's up with Jupiter (the expedition mentioned in Season 1 and spoiler[the whatever-that-was we see moving in the planet] at the end of Season 2) would be nice, but Season 2 had a nice conclusive feel to it, I hope the movie doesn't screw it up, but if it does I can just pretend it doesn't exist like I do with Seed Destiny.

The movie is kind of messy, but is still somewhat of a natural progression. Its just not good. I still enjoyed it though. I have to say though your thoughts on 00 practically mirror my own.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
One thing that did irk me was Wang Lui Mei's direction.

Wang was a strange character, for sure; I liked her all the way through though, even if at time only because she was something of a wild card.

Regarding the outcome of the movie: suffice to say I enjoyed it; I just wish 00 had run as long as Seed/Destiny (neither of which I have watched, as it happens).
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd point out that the reason for the format of the Gundam 00 DVDs (3 for S1 and 4 for S2) was to match the manga releases, since each volume of the LE came with one, and they wanted you to have the full set.

Yes, while 7 parts is a bit much for 50 episodes with today's standard of half-season boxes, considering that the last 50-episode Gundam set came out on 12 parts, that's really not that bad (SEED was only 10, which I accepted much more... and still bought them used, or cheap on TRSI).
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I happen to like Gunman00 and watch iton the SyFy channel and would like to see a follow up to that series to see how the surviving charatures develop and how the political situation and if humanity journeys to the rest of the galaxy and what other beings they incounter and their relationships with them. Surprised
Alucalb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't get attached to any of the characters

Well, you did skip the first season.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The English dub is very good, although no one performance leapt out at me.

I'm glad you think the dub is good. I was all alone on that front for more than a year.

As for Dirty Pair, it's still on my planned list. I still have too many series to wrap up first.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
On Dirty Pair:
Quote:
There is no dub, and the extras are just some line art galleries.

It does come with a booklet with two interviews with Haruka Takachiho and a small tribute to Carl Macek.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Erin:
I'd love for you to watch DP, Flash. I'm still fond of 80's and 90's anime design styles.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I started to watch Gundam 00 Season One Part One, but it was too old to review for Shelf Life, so I started renting season two instead.

But you watched, right?
You didn't review a series you've missed the beginning of, right?
Quote:
In the second season, the world has banded together against Celestial Being and developed mobile suits just as advanced as the Gundams.

Quote:
Celestial Being's plan is to stop war forever… by making more war? That's the plan?

This was covered in Season 1. It's the whole "We make ourselves the villains so the world unites against us." Isn't it also brought up in FMA:Brotherhood? I'm confusing all the FMA plots now..
Quote:
There certainly are a lot of characters in this show!

My theory is Gundam characters have been increasing with each title. To be fair, there have always been a lot of random characters in Gundam, but now they're naming them all so we have to remember them.
Quote:
The first two DVDs of the series follow little clumps of characters.

I spent my SuperBowl Sunday finishing One Piece Season 3 Part 4 (2nd dvd. Excellent), Set 3 of Gundam 00 Second season & Tweeny Witches OVA. I HAD intended to kill off Gundam 00 with set 4 but this one has so many characters I so thoroughly HATE, I couldn't take more than 6 eps.
However, Japanese VA commentaries are often very interesting & this one for ep 14 was a winner. Keiji Fujiwara (Ali) commenting on his observations that the actors all sat in their little groups (Innovators, Celestial Being, etc.) so he usually wound up finding a dark corner of the studio to lurk in since he wasn't really attached. Then it got into the actions the VA's make while they;re recording & that he had been informed he clenches his butt so the 3 VA's (Miyano & Marina's VA's filled it out) discuss butt clenching for about 5-10 minutes.
Point being, like some strange social experiment, the character clumps extended to the studio
Quote:
An alcoholic strategist who is pulled out of her drunken tailspin to plan the jail break.
Leesa Kujo aka Summeragi, schoolmate of Billy Katagiri & Kati Mannequin
Quote:
We meet Soma Peries, a genetically engineered super soldier girl who pilots Gundams.

We met her in Season 1 when her quantum brainwaves mucked with Hallelulia's head whenever they came within range. Hallelulia, Allelujia's psycho personality only appears at the end of the 2nd season, doesn't it? Or not at all. He was insane, but way more interesting than the emo-boy Allelujia.
Quote:
Soma is the youngest Gundam pilot ever (in the 00 universe), Another soldier named Allelujah Haptism insists Soma has amnesia, and is actually someone else with a different name. This all unfolds with a soap opera quality.

Isn't EVERY Gundam a soap opera? All the ones I've seen seem to be.
Anyway, both these guys are Russian Super Soldier experiments as laid out in season 1.
Quote:
I also laughed a little at some of the exhaust emitted from the flying Gundam units. It seems that the more advanced the Gundam, the more its jet stream looks like a sparkly rainbow.

But those particles are different from Gundam to Gundam. Technology to regrow limbs or some such is of course in place in this future, but the Psuedo GN particles Louise was exposed to from the Trinitys' Gundams apparently disrupts this process, feeding some of her bitterness.
Quote:
The lucky amnesiacs get two awesome names.

The main players for Celestial Being all had 2 names. Lockon had 3 (The dump the perfectly good, cool Lockon in Season 1...I do not care for Lockon 2.0)
Quote:
The production quality is outstanding. The character designs are appealing,

Yun Kouga. Loveless. Earthian. Gestalt. (all 3 have BL elements)
Quote:
I didn't get attached to any of the characters, (although I did like the alcoholic strategist, she didn't get much screen time).

Every title seems to have to have some irritating characters. This one REALLY upped the level. So many need to just die. Nena Trinity (Konishi's Trinity Brother was great so sure, they had to take him out) Wang Lieu Mei has been annoying since she started playing both sides against the middle. She SO deserves what she's going to get, but not her brother. Marina is annoying like all the Gundam heroines. The whole "A song will bring world peace" bit is that whole simplistic Gundam anti-war weird hippie logic (What if they gave a war & nobody came?). We all saw how well "We Are the World" ended starving people in Africa.
Quote:
I got attached to Amuro Ray in the original Gundam film, and Quess Paraya in Char's Counter Attack. I think 00 is missing a human warmth that's difficult to describe. I wasn't rooting for any of the characters.

That's why you should be listening to the Japanese side. Guess who Ribbons VA also voiced? (And I don't mean Tuxedo Mask, Seiya, or Yamcha)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
I started to watch Gundam 00 Season One Part One, but it was too old to review for Shelf Life, so I started renting season two instead.

But you watched, right?

Just last week she reviewed the second half of Xam'd without having seen the first. It's somewhat common on Shelf Life.

I'm honestly surprised both Erin and her husband were able to get some sort of enjoyment out of Tytania. Maybe it's because I've seen LoGH, but after one episode I had no desire to see any more.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I take it we'll eventually get a shelf life named "Clash of the Tits", right? We played a lot with that pun at work.
So... make sure to grab a bunch of ecchi titles to review!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
On Dirty Pair:
Quote:
There is no dub, and the extras are just some line art galleries.

It does come with a booklet with two interviews with Haruka Takachiho and a small tribute to Carl Macek.

*facepalm* Gotta remember to check the box...

Mohawk52 wrote:
@ Erin:
I'd love for you to watch DP, Flash. I'm still fond of 80's and 90's anime design styles.

No, you wouldn't love that. I've seen an episode of Dirty Pair Flash and I super-hated the designs.

Megiddo wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:

But you watched, right?

Just last week she reviewed the second half of Xam'd without having seen the first. It's somewhat common on Shelf Life.

Yeah, it was especially a problem when I first started. Part 2's kept coming out and I didn't have time to go back to Part 1 of anything.

Megiddo wrote:
I'm honestly surprised both Erin and her husband were able to get some sort of enjoyment out of Tytania. Maybe it's because I've seen LoGH, but after one episode I had no desire to see any more.

I cannot emphasize enough how much my husband liked this show. He was disappointed I didn't make it Shelf Worthy.

CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
An alcoholic strategist who is pulled out of her drunken tailspin to plan the jail break.
Leesa Kujo aka Summeragi, schoolmate of Billy Katagiri & Kati Mannequin

Thanks!! I couldn't remember her name, and didn't find it fast enough for the column...

CCSYueh wrote:
That's why you should be listening to the Japanese side. Guess who Ribbons VA also voiced? (And I don't mean Tuxedo Mask, Seiya, or Yamcha)

I always do check out the Japanese side for comparison. But I'm not a huge fan of VA's like you are.
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Gundam 00 is the best Gundam I've ever watched. I guess some people would rather watch little girls dancing, playing with guitars, engaging in love/school comedies or some other such nonsense...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Been meaning to try out Gundam sometime but I've never been quite sure where to start, I've heard that Gundam Wing is a good place to start though.

CCSYueh wrote:

Quote:
Celestial Being's plan is to stop war forever… by making more war? That's the plan?

This was covered in Season 1. It's the whole "We make ourselves the villains so the world unites against us." Isn't it also brought up in FMA:Brotherhood? I'm confusing all the FMA plots now..

Sounds more like Code Geass than FMA:B but I see where you're going there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7