• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clash of the Tytans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Mohawk52 wrote:
@ Erin:
I'd love for you to watch DP, Flash. I'm still fond of 80's and 90's anime design styles.

No, you wouldn't love that. I've seen an episode of Dirty Pair Flash and I super-hated the designs.
Laughing I thought you might. Laughing It was released in 1998 so you know it would be different. Wink
To be fair to it though if you got pass all that you just might have found a delightful series with some very poignant moments. spoiler[Like Rei using some ingenious lateral thinking in keeping a crying baby quiet when they was being hunted by the baby's assassins.] I noticed that an ADV VHS copy is going for $138 on Amazon and even the used one's are going for close to $50, and the later DVD is going for the same.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm honestly surprised both Erin and her husband were able to get some sort of enjoyment out of Tytania. Maybe it's because I've seen LoGH, but after one episode I had no desire to see any more.

Hey, I hadn't seen LotGH at all when I watched the first half of the first episode, and I couldn't stand it. My reaction to it at the time:
Quote:
This series is horrible. Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE. I only got two-thirds of the way through the first episode, it was that bad. Oh sure, the opening credits make it look epic: operatic music, detailed character designs, huge spaceships sailing the stars. And then it actually begins. And you realize that while those character designs may be gorgeous, the characters never move!!! It's like watching He-Man, I swear to God. And there are so many of introduced all at once that they 1) put their names on screen as they appear and 2) color code them. No, I did not make that up. Every character wears a different color. If this were a trippy surrealist piece like Revolutionary Girl Utena, I'd be fine with that, but for crying out loud... Not to mention that the characters really are introduced by just appearing on screen: "Here is a new character. Here is their name. And the disembodied narrator will tell you how they fit into interstellar politics." Even the space battle, when it finally began halfway through the episode, was boring.

True, some of those things can be said about LotGH, but I might also add that (1) LotGH was made 20 years ago, animation techniques should have updated, (2) LotGH may use a narrator, but it does so far more adroitly than Tytania's opening episode did, and (3) LotGH has a ton of characters who it helps you keep track of with on-screen captions, but it doesn't color-code them! I think of the first two episodes of each series, and it's like a study in how to something the wrong way and the right way. Same director, same author, completely different level of engagement on my part.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I don't think Celestial Being's plan was THAT hard to figure out. Since the world was forced to unite together to take Celestial Being down, the 3 major nation groups would be united and conflict would be vastly reduced (and any remaining fighting occuring in non-treaty countries could easily be death with). And if the 3 groups let their pride get in the way and chose not to unite after all, then their economy would eventually not be able to continuously try to stop Celestial Being and the groups would have to cease all conflict (granted, Ribbons' plan would never have allowed this, but it could have been an option in the main Celestial Being's eyes).

The problem was that the newly formed united government went "Big Brother" on everyone and Celestial Being had to fix that. While I could somewhat understand people not sympathizing with CB in the first season (since while we the viewers know they're honest about their goal, the other characters can't know that for sure), in the 2nd season they're clearly in the right.

I mean, the beginning establishes war is a common occurrence from our modern day to their current time period. That's like 300 years! Eventually someone had to show up, slam all their heads together, and say, "hey morons, KNOCK IT OFF!" I nearly wanted to slam my head against the wall when one AUE politician actually said, "war is a part of our national identity". Geezus. Rolling Eyes

But even if someone argues Gundam 00 doesn't end up having a message, is that a bad thing? Neither did Lord of the Rings according to Tolkien himself (he said he just wanted to tell a good story, nothing more), but I'd roll my eyes if someone said, "Lord of the Rings doesn't have a message, so what's the point?"

Actually, aside from maybe the original Gundam, I found 00's the easiest to relate to of the franchise (at least in terms of the sympathetic characters, obviously characters like Ali or Nena make me grind my teeth in anger). Granted, it took a while, I didn't really start feeling that way until about halfway through Season 1.

I hate to break it to you but war has been going on for thousands of years, hell if our closest relative the Chimpanzee is anything to go on war has been going on for millions of years. Do you honestly think that war is some recent development?

What Celestial Being wants isn't a utopia it's a dictatorship where the strong few (Celestial Being) decides how the world should be run. What about gun control? Is America forced to adopt other countries Gun Control or do we keep our own and their forced to adopt America's gun control? Are muslim nations not allowed to have laws based on their religious beliefs? Is cultural differences respected or are the people oppressed for having different beliefs?

People fight because they disagree, that's not a bad thing, people are naturally going to be different. What Celestial Being wants is a uniform universe where everyone is the same. They are an oppressive terrorist organization, so it's natural that they would cause an oppressive world.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Tytania. Probably the most disappointing anime I've ever seen.

I wasn't expecting a repeat of Legend of the Galactic Heroes exactly, but they could have at least fleshed out both sides of the conflict the way LoGH did, developing all the characters. Fan Hyulick is a poor man's Yang Wenli who falls for a girl he met for two minutes and moping over being apart from her while doing absolutely nothing at all for several episodes. The Tytania family, while infinitely more interesting, could have been more developed, too. The little girl character that lives with the red haired Tytania guy is an entirely worthless, pointless character.

If a company is going to license a work based on Tanaka books, they should have licensed Ryoko's Case Files, a fun, light-hearted version of The X-Files with a relationship dynamic a lot like Haruhi and Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

As for Gundam 00, it's pretty average as a Gundam series. It certainly isn't as dispassionate and lifeless as CE Gundam, but it doesn't really live up to its potential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
But didn't Celestial Being pretty much reject their own plan of armed interference after the end of season 1 and realised how foolish it was? They pretty much spend all of season 2 trying to clean up the mess they made.

And I have to wonder how much of the "armed intervention plan" was actually Aeolia's will, and how much of it was really just Ribbons manipulating things.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
It astonishes me that anybody could become attached to the shrill harpy that was Quess Paraya. Seriously, people can relate to her?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
But didn't Celestial Being pretty much reject their own plan of armed interference after the end of season 1 and realised how foolish it was? They pretty much spend all of season 2 trying to clean up the mess they made.

And I have to wonder how much of the "armed intervention plan" was actually Aeolia's will, and how much of it was really just Ribbons manipulating things.

They stopped doing it because the Earth united, they never really once regretted what they did.

Their was one episode where a character reveals that his wife/Girlfriend was killed in a war started by Celestial Being, but then his immediately killed afterwards by Setsuna.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Aeolia's plan was to turn the Celestial Being you see on season 1, into the world's enemy, thus uniting the whole world against them. According to Ribbons, Aeolia did seem more attached to the first part of the plan than the rest, but that doesn't change the fact that by Aeolia's own plans, the Celestial Being were sacrificial lambs.
Although it gets trickier later on, but that covers the part you thought they dropped their ideal... and no, they kept it even after they discovered the "betrayal".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Aeolia's plan was to turn the Celestial Being you see on season 1, into the world's enemy, thus uniting the whole world against them.

So what the heck was the plan after that? America was supposedly united after 9/11 and now look at the partisan divide less than 10 years later.

I've never seen Gundam 00, but the plot wasn't seriously that level of stupid right? They certainly had other plans, dealing with the subtle differences with every country (be it religion, territory disputes, form of government, etc)... right?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Aeolia's plan was to turn the Celestial Being you see on season 1, into the world's enemy, thus uniting the whole world against them.

Quote:

So what the heck was the plan after that? America was supposedly united after 9/11 and now look at the partisan divide less than 10 years later.

Dunno, but they totally stole that idea from Watchmen.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

Mohawk52 wrote:
@ Erin:
I'd love for you to watch DP, Flash. I'm still fond of 80's and 90's anime design styles.

No, you wouldn't love that. I've seen an episode of Dirty Pair Flash and I super-hated the designs.

I thought you might. It was released in 1998 so you know it would be different. To be fair to it though if you got pass all that you just might have found a delightful series with some very poignant moments.

Actually, it was released from 1994 to 1996. The design and look fit pretty well into that time-frame.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Quote:

Dunno, but they totally stole that idea from Watchmen.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been thinking ever since page 1 brought up that plot point.

I read yet another multipage debate on the merits of a Gundam series and once more remember why I've never been able to get into this franchise. Nobody can agree on what's worth watching or not!
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I read yet another multipage debate on the merits of a Gundam series and once more remember why I've never been able to get into this franchise. Nobody can agree on what's worth watching or not!

Then decide for yourself. Watch some of the more standalone stuff, and branch out gradually from there.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Then decide for yourself. Watch some of the more standalone stuff, and branch out gradually from there.

Except I don't know which ones are stand alones, and with the few I've tried to start at the beginning, I've been completely confused because I don't know anything about the timelines and world history.

And yes, I did try watching the first series up on Crunchyroll, but for at least the first episode (which was all I could bring myself to watch) every last second of it was baaad. So... yeah, I still have no idea where my "entrance point" is into the Gundam world.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
"As far as I can tell, this series is like Legend of the Galactic Heroes if it were only 26 episodes long and starred only hot dudes. Also if LotGH was based on the British Empire… alright, maybe it’s not like LotGH. I mean I’ve never even seen LotGH..."

Well, it's by the same author, only he never finished this work, unlike his big epic. And according to the comments posted at Theron's review, they actually changed elements of the original novels to make it more like LotGH to cash in its success.

Also, I know plenty of gals who would protest your assumption that the dudes in LotGH are not hot. Wink

I can think of at least one. Wink I haven't seen Tytania yet. I was half tempted, but I've heard so many bad things that I think I'll just go rewatch LoGH instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7