• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Siren Visual Acquires Hakaba Kitarō and Mononoke

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloggett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
I asked them about "Mononoke" last year and they looked awfully surprised, mentioning they were currently looking into it. Twisted Evil

This is great news and a day one purchase from me.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
First Dennou Coil, and now Mononoke? Siren, you put the R1 licensors to shame. I wonder if Siren will release it packaged together with the original "Bakeneko" episodes like the recent Japanese BD re-release did?

Is the market for anime in Australia more "sophisticated" in its tastes than the market here in R1? Here's a country that is only a bit larger in population size than the state of New York alone, yet Siren believes they can make a profit selling Coil and Mononoke there. Why isn't it viable to release shows like these in the United States with more than ten times the population of Australia? Rights fees will naturally be higher in the US, but the larger market ought to generate enough sales for these shows to be economically viable.

I liked the comic-book style of Hakaba Kitarou but thought the writing petered out a bit in the later episodes. Still it scored the highest average viewership ratings of any show ever carried on noitaminA (4.8%), just nosing out Nodame Paris-hen (4.6%). As of 2010, Mononoke was Toei's, and noitaminA's, most successful DVD release, averaging some 12,500 copies per volume; Hakaba Kitarou was third at 6,800. It also has a terrific OP, "Mononoke Dance." The OP for Mononoke is none too shabby either, though I like the ED better. (I cannot show you that one because Sony somehow thinks a 1:30 clip from a song released in 2007 will diminish their profits in 2013. You can watch the video of the ED at YouTube, but not hear the song, even though complete fansubbed versions of the show itself are there. I guess Toei has a different perspective than Sony.)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the market in Australia is more sophisticated, I just expect someone over there loves these titles as much as us.

Well anyways I have decided to import this & Dennou Coil. I have given up hope on any US company picking them up.

As for Chihayafuru still holding out hope on that one getting a release here so I will wait a bit longer before importing that.

But clearly Siren Visual wants my money more than any US company.

Edit: I didn't realize this news wasn't on the US front page, no wonder I didn't see it before.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Edit: I didn't realize this news wasn't on the US front page, no wonder I didn't see it before.

Welcome to Australia, we do things backwards here Smile
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:

Welcome to Australia, we do things backwards here Smile

Hey Australia happens to be one of my favorite places and not just because you guys get great anime.

I studied abroad there for a semester back in college. Honestly I think it is unfair that you live in such a beautiful country & get great anime. Wink
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote

Hey Australia happens to be one of my favorite places and not just because you guys get great anime.

I studied abroad there for a semester back in college. Honestly I think it is unfair that you live in such a beautiful country & get great anime. Wink

Mocking Australia is required by all citizens, but here's a more succinct version of my thoughts on living in Australia: http://youtu.be/OeI3Wg0H4SI
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1