• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Next 2005

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The other title Anime Crash has been involved with recently, Geisters: Factions of the Earth, is on hiatus. The Japanese company that produced the series has gone out of business, and Anime Crash has been unable to contact it or receive any material past the episodes already released.

Has it? I suppose they didn't try contacting the Koreans then? It's not that I'm a big fan of Geisters or anything, but I design the packaging for the Dutch and German release as a sidejob. Hmm, if it's true, I know I'll miss the cash... Confused
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:27 am Reply with quote
It's kind of funny, because the item of most interest to me wasn't even anime at all--it's the Wild CATS release, since I enjoyed that show back in the day. However, I did see news of its release a few weeks ago at a certain known bootleg site.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:

Has it? I suppose they didn't try contacting the Koreans then? It's not that I'm a big fan of Geisters or anything, but I design the packaging for the Dutch and German release as a sidejob. Hmm, if it's true, I know I'll miss the cash... :?

My understanding is that although Geisters is a Japanese-Korean co-production, the Korean side wasn't involved in any of the business aspects, just the animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After being approached by a Japanese production company, Anime Crash has begun work, as a co-producer, on the 26-episode series Shiden. Anime Crash staff is directly involved in the production process, working on tasks such as vehicle design. (...) Anime Crash will not accept any attempts by a TV station or cable channel to edit Shiden in any way, with the exception of edits necessary to comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations. The TV premiere of Shiden may take place in Japan first, with the US premiere to follow some time later, but it is possible that the reverse will occur, and it will actually air in the US first.

OK, call me naive, but seriously, if Anime Crash is a "co-producer" and is "directly invovled" shouldn't they be able to direct the production in such a way that no edits are necessary for airing on American TV? I'm not saying "I don't want to see 'Shiden' butchered" or something (I know nothing about the title), but if the future is co-productions targetting both markets, should the show be made in such a way as to be cleanly broadcast in both? (Unless there's not illusions about broadcasting in one or the other market) Really, if they KNOW something will be in opposition to FCC regs, shouldn't they just clear that out in production?
(I mean, regardless of whether one LIKES or AGREES with FCC regs, it seems kinda stupid to explicitly make something you KNOW you'll need to change)
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Quote:
After being approached by a Japanese production company, Anime Crash has begun work, as a co-producer, on the 26-episode series Shiden. Anime Crash staff is directly involved in the production process, working on tasks such as vehicle design. (...) Anime Crash will not accept any attempts by a TV station or cable channel to edit Shiden in any way, with the exception of edits necessary to comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations. The TV premiere of Shiden may take place in Japan first, with the US premiere to follow some time later, but it is possible that the reverse will occur, and it will actually air in the US first.

OK, call me naive, but seriously, if Anime Crash is a "co-producer" and is "directly invovled" shouldn't they be able to direct the production in such a way that no edits are necessary for airing on American TV? I'm not saying "I don't want to see 'Shiden' butchered" or something (I know nothing about the title), but if the future is co-productions targetting both markets, should the show be made in such a way as to be cleanly broadcast in both? (Unless there's not illusions about broadcasting in one or the other market) Really, if they KNOW something will be in opposition to FCC regs, shouldn't they just clear that out in production?
(I mean, regardless of whether one LIKES or AGREES with FCC regs, it seems kinda stupid to explicitly make something you KNOW you'll need to change)

Sometimes you want something edgy enough that people will buy it on DVD where it hasn't been censored. I've seen that happen a couple of times with some other popular TV series such as 24, and The Shield. While both shows are excellent IMO, they can push for that extra content on the DVD. It's also not that different than anime series broadcast in Japan. If there is nudity or sexual situations involved, the DVD release can vary from the broadcast version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nihonpsper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I agree with G-san, the crash guys are probably gonna have scenes that maybe extended or a bit to rough for TV, but would be totally cool for DVD! Like extended cuts and such, which wouldn't be far off because scenes from transformers and old school Gatchaman did the same thing... But since it seems to be geared for a younger audience I would say the only reason for edits may just be for time constraints which always sux.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1