• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wreck-It Ralph Beats Ghibli's Poppy Hill in Annies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I could say the same for Hollywood remake of Asian films, when Hollywood remake a Japanese films (or any Asian films) there's going to be backlash and hate all over it.

No, you really can't say the same, because as far as that "exchange" goes, it's almost entirely exclusive to Westers and Samurai films. No one complains about either because those two genres are insanely interchangeable.

That said, the reason why people get rile up over stuff like The Ring is because, I dunno, it's a really crappy movie? Ever thunked that one?

This, however, is nothing but stupid ass cinematic xenophobia. I hate the word, but it perfectly applies to some people here: Weaboo. Automatically dismissive of anything not from Japan, automatically worshopping anything from Japan.

All forms of medium need to be approached with a critical eye, and not a cultural one if they are to be evaluated properly. The moment one makes one's intentions clear that they're going to be culturally biased from the get-go, the opinion is worth piss.

The American remake of The Rings wasn't that horrible, I've heard some people said it was better then the Japanese version. I do agree there are horrible remake of Asian films (One missed Call for example). I'm afraid it's not only weeaboo, but Asian supremacy also come into play. I remember the Departed (the remake of Infernal Affairs) got a lot of hate from fans of foreign films and fans of the original films despite the Departed won best picture at the Academy award, I could say the same for other remake of Asian films (The Grudge, Dark Water, etc...). It's not only Japan that is remaking American films, but also China/HK and Korea is also remaking American films and they never get any flak or criticism from the same group of people that bash American remake of Asian films. Hong Kong remake Cellular into Connected:

Some people that are not bias on the remake thing said the remake was a bit better then the original. Also Connected was the one that started the whole Asia remake American films fad.

2009: Zhang Yimou remake Blood Simple

2009: Japan remake Sideways

2009: China remake High School musical

2010: Japan remake Ghost yes the one with Demi Moore and the late Patrick Swayze got a Japanese remake.

2010: China remake What Women want

Japan not long ago remade a famous French film and a German film. After that Japan has announced a remake not only Unforgiven, but other American films like An Affair to Remember and Working Girl. Also Hong Kong is going to remake Mr & Mrs. Smith. I believe South Korea is going to remake Breakfast at Tiffany's. South Korea did remake Phone Booth into Cell Phone. One K-drama, Couple or Trouble was a remake of the 1980's film Overboard. they also remade A Better Tomorrow (poster below).

I have never seen any of these Asian remake of American films getting the same level of hate or criticisms as American remake of Asian films. So how come the same people that bash Hollywood for remaking Asian films don't go after Asia for doing the same thing to American films (and for remaking other Asian films). People are either staying silent or praising Asia for remaking American films (and also bashing the American original that the remake was based on). So yes, there's hypocrisy when it comes to remake, I'm seeing free passes from backlashes and bashing when it comes to Asia remaking American films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
It's not only Japan that is remaking American films, but also China/HK and Korea is also remaking American films and they never get any flak or criticism from the same group of people that bash American remake of Asian films.

Because their install base is absurdly tiny compared to Hollywood. They're practically a non-threat. Hence, most people don't see any worth in getting riled up.

But when Hollywood is remaking foreign films that are critically acclaimed, the flak is raised because production politics come into play. Much of the original film suffers compromise at the hand of executive meddling. Well, sometimes. As for the asian remakes, honestly, most of them don't go anywhere beyond their home countries. Hence, not a whole lot of people care.

It's all about the exposure.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Don't blame the guys raging in this thread. ParaNorman got robbed.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Lots of ranting

And some people say I'm obsessed.

Not that I really want to dip my toes into this acidic vendetta you bring up about remakes, but it's pretty much like what PrecisionCrab said. Also the fact Hollywood is notorious for screwing over minorities in the industry. Hollywood is far more harming and damaging of an industry than an obscure remake of an American B-movie. If you want proof, just look at Japanese box offices and you'll see plenty of American films airing in Japan, movies like Harry Potter especially doing very well. You'll never see non-English foreign films given the chance to do that here. If you honestly think all the people behind the criticisms of Hollywood's treatment of minorities and foreign films are purely from "hypocritical anime fans", by all means, go right ahead and discuss it with the people who crusades this issue longer than the internet has been around. Your obsession with proving us evil anime fans wrong undermines the legitimate plight of minorities have had with the industry which is older than you or I have been alive.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
Wait, did you just say Pixar is stuck in the sandbox? Wow. Just wow. Sure, not all of their movies have been completely groundbreaking but you are doing them a huge disservice here.

>_> Wellll... actually I stole that quote from a New York Times review of Paprika, but I agree with them. They seem stuck in their ways, while Japanese companies can make lots of different stuff for kids.

Wait, you're comparing a single studio to a whole industry?

Crispy45 wrote:

It was a big deal when the Simpsons got one movie, but Shin-chan's got like 20 under its belt. x_x And the ones I've seen blow away the Simpsons movie at that.

Because those are basically just glorified TV episodes, including The Simpsons. But in America, they don't like their movies to be just glorified TV episodes. When they go spend the time and money to see a movie, they hope to see a glorified movie. No matter how popular, American movie-goers would get bored seeing a Simpsons movie every year, just like they got bored seeing the Pokemon movies, and even if Shin-chan was successful on American TV, they'd still get bored of the annual Shin-chan movies too. America just isn't into that - that's why TV-cum-movies are rare, e.g. they can stand one X-Files movie but not two (and that's from a very well-known franchise).

Crispy45 wrote:

And in 2D animation too, not CGI.

2D and 3DCG are just tools and have their uses. One isn't inherently better or worse than the other.

Crispy45 wrote:

And Pixar seems like huge hypocrites these days. They bashed Disney for turning out cheap sequels then they got the greed in their eyes and made Toy Story 2 and 3, Monsters Inc 2, Finding Nemo 2, Cars 2, and probably more sequels in the future. >_>

That I kinda agree with, even though they did a very good job with the Toy Story trilogy (and that too has its own story: T2 was supposed to be just DTV (so actually they weren't against sequels), then they didn't even make another sequel of any kind for more than a decade 1999-2010). So it's not like they're a sequel factory.............. (yet - we'll see).

Pixar didn't want to make sequels not because of what you think but rather because in their original distribution deal with Disney, sequels would not count against the 3-picture agreement before they can be free of the Disney deal and choose any distributor. What Pixar actually said regarding sequels was that sequels should only be made if they can come up with a story at least as good if not better than the original. (Arguably, that's not always the case, as with Cars 2. And technically, Monsters University is a prequel.)

So, they're kinda hypocrites, and they're technically not hypocrites. The no-sequel issue originally was more a business decision to keep away Disney from forcing them to make films that won't count in their 3-film deal, and their no-sequel statement was a reasoning excuse (albeit good reasoning) as cover. Though if they never said anything in the first place, they could've been like any other anime studio releasing a "sequel" movie every year.

Anyways, that's the short history of it.

Crispy45 wrote:

And they toted Brave as some revolutionary leap for females in animated movies then it turns out to be another Disney princess flick... meanwhile Japan's done female leads since the 70s. They just seem way too behind on the times.

Though to their credit, their women tend to be more progressive. In Japan, tends to be more of a case of 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

TitanXL wrote:

Hollywood is far more harming and damaging of an industry than an obscure remake of an American B-movie. If you want proof, just look at Japanese box offices and you'll see plenty of American films airing in Japan, movies like Harry Potter especially doing very well. You'll never see non-English foreign films given the chance to do that here.

Firstly, not all of those are B-movies. Secondly, never say never *cough*CrouchingTigerHiddenDragon*cough* Laughing
(And Gangnam Style was just playing all over the radio. So there's hope.)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
I really don't think Gangnam Style is a good thing to use to show Asian culture being accepted in America.. especially when most people like it for being funny and silly and the parody videos. Not as harshly as William Hung was treated, but still enough to make it an odd example to use. More than likely in a year or two he'll die down as the pop culture moves on to a new thing and he'll remain an outlier because of a single song.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, well, I suppose it's better than how Bruce Lee and other kung-fu movie stars were treated, but over ten years ago for a single film seems more like an isolated incident. Sort of like Spirited Away winning an Academy Award. Actually, those two films happened about a year apart of each other. I guess it was cool to be into Asian cinema that year.

As for the subject of annual shounen movies. I enjoy them and I appreciate they're able to happen in Japan. Seems like a lot of the time American cartoon movie adaptions bomb big time (Powerpuff Girls being a good example, which apparently did so bad it canned any other movies Cartoon Network had planned). I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because movies require parents to take their kids to the theater and sit with them and they don't want to do that for a kids show, so they just wait for a DVD release and put that in to satisfy their kid? Especially since it seems live-action adaptions always do better than animated ones. That's kind of a shame.. I would hope people who actually like a show like Avatar the Last Airbender would rather see an animated movie than a random live-action adaption, but maybe that's just my view from growing up with anime movies. Maybe live-action is more appealing to kids so a live-action adaption like Alvin and the Chipmunks gets two sequels where an animated movie wouldn't even get one. Different markets I guess.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
Hey its not even just asian flicks that get remade anyway, Death at a funeral got an american tart up about 3 years after it was made over here.

Think its just a cultural thing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I have never seen any of these Asian remake of American films getting the same level of hate or criticisms as American remake of Asian films. So how come the same people that bash Hollywood for remaking Asian films don't go after Asia for doing the same thing to American films (and for remaking other Asian films). People are either staying silent or praising Asia for remaking American films (and also bashing the American original that the remake was based on). So yes, there's hypocrisy when it comes to remake, I'm seeing free passes from backlashes and bashing when it comes to Asia remaking American films.

This is where the terms Japanophile and Weabo come into play. Everything America does in any reference to Japan, and anime/manga, is wrong. While anything they do is awesome fo course because Japan is so much more awesome than us. That's the attitude of many of them. Most of which don't even have a basic grasp of Japanese culture beyond what they assume via anime and press articles related to such. Or just their pipe dreams. Regardless, many are just hypocrites to put it simply.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:
This is where the terms Japanophile and Weabo come into play. Everything America does in any reference to Japan, and anime/manga, is wrong. While anything they do is awesome fo course because Japan is so much more awesome than us. That's the attitude of many of them. Most of which don't even have a basic grasp of Japanese culture beyond what they assume via anime and press articles related to such. Or just their pipe dreams. Regardless, many are just hypocrites to put it simply.

Again if you look at other countries, you'll see that American movies are widely accepted while foreign films here aren't in America.

While it's understandable that a large portion of the best films in the world (yes I'm biased since I'm American) are made in America, I'm not so arrogant to think that only America is the only country that can pump out great works of arts and other countries can't.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
It's not only Japan that is remaking American films, but also China/HK and Korea is also remaking American films and they never get any flak or criticism from the same group of people that bash American remake of Asian films.

Because their install base is absurdly tiny compared to Hollywood. They're practically a non-threat. Hence, most people don't see any worth in getting riled up.

But when Hollywood is remaking foreign films that are critically acclaimed, the flak is raised because production politics come into play. Much of the original film suffers compromise at the hand of executive meddling. Well, sometimes. As for the asian remakes, honestly, most of them don't go anywhere beyond their home countries. Hence, not a whole lot of people care.

It's all about the exposure.

That's not a good reason, I like to add that doesn't give the right for remake haters to give Asia a free pass on remaking American films (or any foreign films). Also several of these Asian remakes of American films have went outside of Asia. The Chinese remake of What Women want got a limited US theatrical release. Also Connected also got released in US, and I recall seeing the Korean remake of A Better Tomorrow on Blu-ray at Best Buy when I was at the store. Also the news of Japan's remake of Ghost and Chinese remake of What Women want got some considerable attention on entertainment news, but it was the Japanese remake of Unforgiven that got a lot of attention, even mainstream entertainment news reported on it. I never seen ANN reported on Japan remaking Ghost, Sideways, or any previous remake film. ANN however did report on Unforgiven Japanese remake which is the only time ANN report on a Asian remake on American films (To ANN: please report more on Japan's remake of American films, it could help reduce pro-asian/pro-Japanese bias if people are made aware of Japan's remaking of American films).

TitanXL wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Lots of ranting

And some people say I'm obsessed.

Not that I really want to dip my toes into this acidic vendetta you bring up about remakes, but it's pretty much like what PrecisionCrab said. Also the fact Hollywood is notorious for screwing over minorities in the industry. Hollywood is far more harming and damaging of an industry than an obscure remake of an American B-movie. If you want proof, just look at Japanese box offices and you'll see plenty of American films airing in Japan, movies like Harry Potter especially doing very well. You'll never see non-English foreign films given the chance to do that here. If you honestly think all the people behind the criticisms of Hollywood's treatment of minorities and foreign films are purely from "hypocritical anime fans", by all means, go right ahead and discuss it with the people who crusades this issue longer than the internet has been around. Your obsession with proving us evil anime fans wrong undermines the legitimate plight of minorities have had with the industry which is older than you or I have been alive.

Well I'm afraid that's changing for Japan when it comes to American films, the reason for Japan remaking American films according to this article:

The Daily Beast wrote:
But for all its might, Hollywood has been losing market share in recent years to domestic films around the world. Audiences are more inclined to seek out films that mirror their own cultural values and feature stars they can easily relate to. Back in 2002, foreign films dominated Japan’s movie theaters, taking in 73 percent of box-office returns; last year that share fell to 43 percent. “Today’s young Japanese are not as inspired by Western culture as they used to be,” says Paramount Japan marketing director Hisamichi Kinomoto.

A foreign film adapted for a local audience can perform better than the original. Last year, Fuji TV remade Sideways, the 2004 Alexander Payne film about two friends road-tripping through California’s wine country. While the original film grossed around $960,000 in Japan, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com, the Japanese remake—featuring two Japanese pals in Napa—raked in $1.5 million.

As I said, it's hypocrisy when haters just goes after Hollywood for remaking Asian films but not the opposite. That's why I suspect pro-Asian bias when it comes to remake. Also it's not like foreign films will do well in US (only some exceptions like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragons like Enurtsol mentioned).

I remember Chagen46 said this on another thread when it comes to who remakes who:

Chagen46 wrote:
>America remakes Japanese film: "OMG ITS GONNA SUCK"
>Japan remakes American film: "OMG AWESOME"

What is this I don't even.

He's right and I'm not the only one, other people notice this double standard when it comes to remake. When America remake Asian film, everybody goes up in arm about it. When it's Asian remaking American films (or any foreign films), they either praise it and bash the American films the remake was based on or people stay silent about it and not speak up or spread dissent or criticism about Asia's remake of American films.

TitanXL, and PrecisionCrab: How many more Asian remakes of American films (or any foreign films) do you want to see until you start complaining and giving Asia/Japan the same criticism that Hollywood get for remaking Asian films.

Do you want to see Japan remaking this:

or what if Japan decided to remake True Grit (just like Unforgiven, it'll be a samurai film):

What about if Hong Kong decided to remake these films:

Johnnie To could direct a HK remake of Heat, To is like the Michael Mann of HK and I could see Tony Leung as Pacino's character and Andy lau as DeNiro's character.

There's many ways how this could be adapted for a Hong Kong audience.

Maybe Hong Kong could improve on the original American version which wasn't bad if they remake this film. Like let say in the Hong Kong remake the assassin works for the communist regime from Beijing and the target he killed are pro-democracy activists and dissidents living in Hong Kong.

or what about South Korea decide to remake these film:

You know the story could be outfitted for the South Korean audiences, just change World War 2 to Korean war and there you go.

I always thought that could end up getting a Asian remake, South Korea could be a major contender to maybe adapt Jason Bourne for the Korean audience.

Psycho 101 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Change that to pro-Asian bias. I don't see people that accuse Hollywood of whitewash going after Korea and Taiwan for doing similar thing that Hollywood when they do live-action version of anime/manga. While people attack Hollywood for remaking Oldboy and using whitewash, I don't see anybody going after South Korea for "yellow-wash" Japanese characters into Korean when Korea did a live-action Oldboy (and loosely adapted from the manga). How does Shinichi Gotō becoming Joe Douchett for the American remake is any different from Shinichi Gotō becoming Oh Dae-su for the Korean adaptation. I'm kinda surprise the people that go after Hollywood live-action Akira adaptation and calling it whitewash didn't go after Taiwan and South Korea's adaptation of Boys over flowers where the original characters from the manga went from Japanese to Chinese and Korean for their respective live-action adaptation and nobody called whitewash. So Tetsuo being renamed Bob is not the same as renaming Makino Tsukushi into Shan Cai and Geum Jan Di. I wonder would people complain whitewash if US was to remake Boys over Flowers. After reading about how Korea is going to make a live-action Jin-Roh and going to make it take place in Korea instead of Japan, I assume the characters in the Korean live-action of Jin-Roh will be Korean not Japanese and nobody made a big deal about "Korean-wash" the characters (if it happen in the Korean adaptation). If the live-action Jin-Roh had been done by US and replace the character with a non-Japanese/Asian cast, I bet people will complain about it and using "whitewash" on Hollywood and ignoring the Korean adaptation. Ain't pro-Asian hypocrisy great after all and beside maybe Asia should dominate USA and become the next superpower. Laughing

In Conclusion: I'm not against remaking film. I'm glad to see Asia is remaking American films, it balance the scale and I love to see Asia's take on American films. Also It's really good Hollywood is giving back Asia for all the remake we did from their films. Hell I would love to see some of our American films getting foreign remake, people said we don't watch a lot of foreign films, would people watch these films more if the foreign film was a remake of American films?? Maybe, who knows??!! Would I love to see John Woo doing a Hong Kong remake of Leon: The professional with Chow-Yun Fat playing Jean Reno's character, sure!!! Why not!!! Would I love to see Toho doing a Japanese remake/reboot of King Kong as a response to Warner Bros's Godzilla American reboot/remake? I'm in for that.

I'm just against hypocrisy even pro-Asian bias and Asian supremacy. I'm not racist against Asian since I'm Asian myself but I don't like people turning Asia into a religion (like weaboo, or people think Japan or Asia is the greatest continent of all, or whoever think Asia is superior).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
If asia remakes the bourne movies with 100% less shakey cam i'll watch em lol.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Soapboxing and movie posters have now killed this thread.

I could just delete the posts, but if the "debate," which has absolutely nothing to do with either Wreck-It Ralph, Poppy Hill, or the Annies anymore, is going to continue in an endless circle, then I see no point in leaving this open.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4