• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release Corrections.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
Chibi Shoujo wrote:
Angel Sanctuary is another manga that still has a Volumes list. This one's a little strange though. The titles listed are actually "chapter" titles because they are found within the books, and not actually volume titles.

Judging from the date those "Volumes" were submitted, I suspect those were probably from flipped pamphlet-styled issues, similar to US comics. Was Angel Sanctuary that old in US?

Chibi Shoujo wrote:
Looking at the covers, these manga also have volume titles that can be added to the releases:

Done. Two reasons that I don't have volume titles for every release:
1) Some volume titles are too long and may exceed the length limit; see Angel Sanctuary vol. 8
2) Many volume titles are not known before the actual release is available

bglassbrook wrote:
Ranma BD set 7 needs to be moved down into Region A.

Done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Judging from the date those "Volumes" were submitted, I suspect those were probably from flipped pamphlet-styled issues, similar to US comics. Was Angel Sanctuary that old in US?

I haven't seen anything in that format since Kodocha and Evangelion.

I have some random "Viz Select Comics" monthly comic issues for Battle Angel Alita and Lum I picked up somewhere second hand. They didn't seem to believe in putting dates on them outside the original Japanese copyright year, but they have to be older than the Eva ones - just look at this logo for ADV!

I tried to add some of the ones I have to the releases system, which was difficult. this Eva one dates to 2001 apparently. According to our news archives, Angel Sanctuary was first released by Viz in 2004.

While mentioning Kodocha mind, the only place "Welcome to the Jungle Gym" appears in anything Tokyopop published is on the contents page of the TPB, and I'm not finding any evidence of the Japanese tankoubon having volume titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Space Dandy season 2 needs to be recategorized/moved into BD+DVD.
Index vol. 6 needs to be moved down into regular novels.

With RightStuf's transition, their new domain RightStufAnime.com needs to be added to the permitted list for submissions. Considering it didn't work to use the old domain or format, and hope for a successful re-direct, I would guess this overhaul is throwing general havoc with the scraper.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
ugh... we have to go and manually fix every single TSRI link now, don't we?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
ugh... we have to go and manually fix every single TSRI link now, don't we?

I think the scraper has been using an API for some time now, so if it didn't already have the capability of returning the current web address, hopefully Dan can magic something up on this end. We can run searches by UPC to get the item, and TRSi seems to have been trying to move to a UPC based SKU system for the last year or so, so hopefully it won't be that rough... or manual.

Come to think of it, I hope they brought along all the tombstoned pages for out-of-print items. It would be a shame if all that data was lost.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:01 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Space Dandy season 2 needs to be recategorized/moved into BD+DVD.
Index vol. 6 needs to be moved down into regular novels.

Done.

Waiting on dan for a TRSI fix, but I can see it is going to be awkward as there is no obvious API or even an affiliate program on the new site, and it doesn't appear that you can directly access items by SKU or UPC anymore; you have to search for them so (unless there is a hidden API) updating existing links programatically would require scraping the search page for the new item URL.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
No Game No Life 4 should be moved to non-graphic novels.
Also, shouldn't the novel titles on the page be without commas? Neither Yen Press nor major retailers like Amazon and B&N use them. Plus it would help to differentiate between the LN and the manga published by Seven Seas.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
No Game No Life 4 should be moved to non-graphic novels.

Done.

Quote:
Also, shouldn't the novel titles on the page be without commas?

Hmm... it depends if the power button in the logo is stylistically taking the place of a comma.
It does say "NO GAME NO LIFE" on the [url=http://www.yenpress.com/no-game-no-life-novel/[Yen Press page[/url] and if we take that as the official then we should be changing the title here to match, which will cause new releases to automatically take that title anyway.

I will change it to a version without the comma, but with no prejudice to changing back.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Hmm... it depends if the power button in the logo is stylistically taking the place of a comma.
[...]
I will change it to a version without the comma, but with no prejudice to changing back.

That was basically where I landed, and both use the same stylized title/logo. TRSi uses a comma for both the manga & novels, but the other majors don't use it for either. Yen Press' website, the first novel's credit page, and mention of the title in the afterword don't use a comma. Seven Seas' website does use one, but I don't have a copy to check the inside pages (and Amazon's inside look is actually the manga's color insert pages.)

Though checking the page, e-novel #4 needs to be moved up to the e-book section. Not to mention novels #1, #2, #3, and e-novels #1, #2, and #3 need to be flipped from Yen Press to Yen On (debatably the series licensor too.)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I created the Yen On company entry and so far I'm the only person who's ever used it...
I'm still always uncertain when it comes to things like imprints and sub-labels.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Does it work like the title, where new items will default to the series' listing, or does it always just populate the drop-down box group based on the UPC's prefix and folks will have to pay attention?

EDIT: Is the scraper down? There's been a couple times this weekend where it couldn't fetch pages from any of the stores, including on releases that aren't freshly posted.
EDIT2: Caucus Race #1 is missing the space between "Pandora Hearts"

Last edited by bglassbrook on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
About ANN's Dragons Rioting page. I've yet to find an official source that spells the manga's name as "Dragon's".
Both the seller lists and Yen Press's announcement here, heck, even the Japanese volume use "Dragons" without an apostrophe.

Also, nitpicky as this may be, ANN's description for the manga says "Rintarō isa boy" instead of "Rintarō is a boy".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
@bglassbrook: The other day I had "Could not fetch page" but when I retried it worked. Right now, I'm getting it constantly.

bglassbrook wrote:
Caucus Race #1 is missing the space between "Pandora Hearts"

Done.

@Double Mangekyo
Someone seems to have fixed that already.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
@bglassbrook: The other day I had "Could not fetch page" but when I retried it worked. Right now, I'm getting it constantly.

I haven't been able to visit B&N for over a week. The only message it sends me:

Code:
The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: [a number of 19 digits]

For a brief period of time I was able to visit B&N with my smartphone but it's no longer accessible now. Rolling Eyes
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had any problem getting to the site itself from here. And, ironically, while the wizard was saying it couldn't access the site, I tried adding stuff manually and the scraper then happily pulled details from B&N.
The "could not fetch page" error, when it happens, affects all retailers though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 43