• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I've always wondered, why is the "TV" frequently tacked onto the end of the Air series? It is rarely done with any other series adapted from a game; I've never seen Kanon TV, Fate/Stay Night TV, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni TV, or anything like that. I understand that it's to differentiate it from the original game, but why just Air?

To differentiate it from the (inferior) movie version. Well, Zalis might not agree with me. Cool

The movie version has

spoiler[1. removed the "millennium curse" plot,
2. removed two female protagonists completely,
3. removed many background music at key events, such as natsukage,
4. unstable animation quality, which is unacceptable for an anime movie,
5. a wrong start, for a story with such length shouldn't be stuffed into a movie at the first place (looking at the coming up Clannad, to be directed and produced by the same group of AIR movie =.=; )]

If you have never seen the TV series AND know nothing about the original plot, then you MAY find the movie decent, but personally I have yet known any fan of the original game and/or the TV series regard the movie better than the former two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought the movie was overall pretty bad. They really condensed everything (pretty badly as well, I must say), and I really wondered why a short 1 hr 30 min movie would be inferior in animation and quality to a 12 episode series. It just occured to me after checking the encyclopedia that it was Toei who did the movie (and not KyoAni).

So, I assume that the movie was not based on the anime and Toei would have produced the movie anyway, regardless of whether the series had been produced or not? (Since they did the original Kanon afterall)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
So, I assume that the movie was not based on the anime and Toei would have produced the movie anyway, regardless of whether the series had been produced or not? (Since they did the original Kanon afterall)

Both anime adaptations started from the game, and in fact the movie project started earlier than that of TV series, but due to delays it was premiered (on 2005-02-05) after the series (started airing on TV on 2005-01-06).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
frentymon wrote:
I've always wondered, why is the "TV" frequently tacked onto the end of the Air series? It is rarely done with any other series adapted from a game; I've never seen Kanon TV, Fate/Stay Night TV, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni TV, or anything like that. I understand that it's to differentiate it from the original game, but why just Air?

To differentiate it from the (inferior) movie version. Well, Zalis might not agree with me. Cool

The movie version has

5. a wrong start, for a story with such length shouldn't be stuffed into a movie at the first place (looking at the coming up Clannad, to be directed and produced by the same group of AIR movie =.=; )]

If you have never seen the TV series AND know nothing about the original plot, then you MAY find the movie decent, but personally I have yet known any fan of the original game and/or the TV series regard the movie better than the former two.
Oh no, I agree, the movie was inferior, but I didn't see it as "crappy." Then again, I broke up my viewing of it into four or five segments, so it's possible I didn't get the full underwhelming effect. However, one complaint I've heard about the TV series is that spoiler[it has multiple female protagonists who come in, have their story, and are never heard from again,], and the movie fixes that "problem." Of course, such complaints probably come from people who aren't familiar with the game, because I'm sure that game fans wanted those characters included.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
Well I never played the game until after I saw the series and movie and I mean WELL after, but the movie just didn't effect me like the show. The movie's animation was a major turn off atfirst glance, but I watched it anyway. Then all the charcters weren't their which made it extremely awkward and too different, since it was supposed to be a re-telling. So it just wasn't all that great. But since I saw it after the series and OVA's, it could just be because I was expecting way too much from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
But since I saw it after the series and OVA's, it could just be because I was expecting way too much from it.

You mean the special, right? As far as I know there's no OVA for AIR.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
But since I saw it after the series and OVA's, it could just be because I was expecting way too much from it.

You mean the special, right? As far as I know there's no OVA for AIR.

Ya I meant the Specials. I've been using OVA for anything not related a TV series, so I need to stop that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
treatment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
frentymon wrote:

The movie version has

I'm a fan and owner of both the TV and the Movie dvd's, and I still I think the Movie's actually better than the TV-series. The game-version had some nicely "interesting" art, imo. Razz

Reason why the Movie was better? Tighter and more realistic storytelling. The legend was actually better portrayed.

The TV-series is closer to the game, but that doesn't really mean it's an actual better story.

The TV-series was fine for a fantasy-series, but as legends-portrayal go, it was quite lacking. To make matters worse, the TV-series rushed the important spoiler[Kanna-arc]. Took them 6-7 months or so after the sat-broadcast ended to make the Air in Summer OVA, that they showed in BS-i, anyway. Just to give the spoiler[Kanna-arc] some sort of justice. You can nitpick whether it should be called an OVA or just a mere Special. I know it doesn't say "Special" anywhere on my dvd. Just Air In Summer title on the disc and the jacket-cover. Very Happy

The rather sudden spoiler[romance-angle] in the later eps of the TV-series didn't really gel with the main story, and as such, rushed as well.

Also, one has to remember that the Movie-version was a very different interpretation of the game's story. If someone's expecting it to be close to the game like the TV-series, they're just in for a rude shock.

The Movie is clearly a spoiler[tragic romance-story], while the TV-series is a spoiler[non-romantic maternal-love] story. That said, a viewer must completely throw away what he/she knows of the story from the TV-series. Otherwise, disappointment, frustration, and confusion will cloud their enjoyment of this excellent movie story.

I also think you're a bit wrong with the Movie's animation-quality. It was actually superbly done and quite a bit more fluid than KyoAni's version. Just watch the waves, the flags and the sunset scenes. Even the rain scenes. The director had actually used some pretty nifty techniques that portrayed the summer season by the sea rather realistically.

Maybe you just meant the movie character-design quality, which again, is not all that bad. It got cartoonish a few times, but it's all good. It's just a fundamentally different style from the regular bug-eyed TV-version.

As for the music, again, it's different. They didn't rely on the game-soundtrack songs like the TV-series, but instead, the Movie used a rather unique summer-season/legends bg-compositions theme to fit the story they were telling.

and fwiw, if you listen closely, the If Dreams Come True song is very close to the futari song from the game. Just a more grander vocal-interpretation.

As for the length, it can't be helped that only the main story gets to be told with the Movie's runtime. The other stories are simply and really incompatible, anyway, because remember, the Movie is a spoiler[tragic romance] story interpretation of the game's premise. The spoiler[Kano and Minagi stories] just would not fit.

That said, I wish the bd-players drop down in prices soon so I can finally watch my Air-BD set and check out the video-improvements. Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
I also think you're a bit wrong with the Movie's animation-quality. It was actually superbly done and quite a bit more fluid than KyoAni's version. Just watch the waves, the flags and the sunset scenes. Even the rain scenes. The director had actually used some pretty nifty techniques that portrayed the summer season by the sea rather realistically.

Didn't you notice that I use "unstable" instead of "bad," "poor," "inferior," et cetera? Wink Those were the best part of its animation, however, there were scenes where characters were poorly drawn (the film isn't with me now; wish I could make screencaps):

1) In a scene at night where Haruko spoiler[in her sexy lingeries trying to tease Yukito], the shape of her face was kind of distorted.

2) In a scene where Misuzu went exited about Yukito's decision (I forgot the detailed conversation...), she was standing on her toes and put her face near Yukito, creating two unnatural effects:
  1. The camera angle created a strong 3-axis perspective view. If you don't know what I'm talking about, imagine standing at the bottom of a skyscraper. There would be three disappearing points: left, right, and top, with the skyscraper "tapering" towards the top, like this photo. In Misuzu's case it's the opposite: the third disappearing point was located at bottom; imaging if you were in a helicopter and hovering near the top of a skyscraper and looking down, and the building would be "tapering" towards the bottom. This effect is almost impossible to be seen at her height (about 5 feet) realistically, and while comedies use it as a comedic effect quite often, it is NOT appropriate in a tragedy like AIR.

2. When a person is very happy with a big smile, we don't see his/her eyes wide open. However, Misuzu's eyes were, creating a feeling that she wasn't really happy from her heart.
3) The white balance of (supposed) Summer Arc in the movie was way too high. They felt like overexposed photograph. There should be better ways to create a historic / legendary / nostalgic feeling.
treatment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Didn't you notice that I use "unstable" instead of "bad," "poor," "inferior," et cetera? Wink Those were the best part of its animation, however, there were scenes where characters were poorly drawn (the film isn't with me now; wish I could make screencaps):

1) In a scene at night where Haruko spoiler[in her sexy lingeries trying to tease Yukito], the shape of her face was kind of distorted.

I thought it was a good realistic/comical facial-portrayal of what a woman's face will look like if the intensity were done in live-action. Unlike in the TV-series where she was almost always spoiler[poker-faced] and rather static. Her facial-distortion is just part of the effect of spoiler[ totally confusing] Yukito with what her real intentions were. She was totally successful with it, too. Razz

Quote:
2) In a scene where Misuzu went exited about Yukito's decision (I forgot the detailed conversation...), she was standing on her toes and put her face near Yukito, creating two unnatural effects:
  1. The camera angle created a strong 3-axis perspective view. If you don't know what I'm talking about, imagine standing at the bottom of a skyscraper. There would be three disappearing points: left, right, and top, with the skyscraper "tapering" towards the top, like this photo. In Misuzu's case it's the opposite: the third disappearing point was located at bottom; imaging if you were in a helicopter and hovering near the top of a skyscraper and looking down, and the building would be "tapering" towards the bottom. This effect is almost impossible to be seen at her height (about 5 feet) realistically, and while comedies use it as a comedic effect quite often, it is NOT appropriate in a tragedy like AIR.

Are you talking about the beach-scene where the fishbowl-effect was used? It was cartoonish, but I thought the purpose of it was to break/calm down Yukito's angsty/depressing serious outlook. The dude really needs to chill out a bit. Wink

Quote:
  • When a person is very happy with a big smile, we don't see his/her eyes wide open. However, Misuzu's eyes were, creating a feeling that she wasn't really happy from her heart.3)

• I know kids with eyes way wide open when very happy with stuff. At any rate, there was always something subtly deeper with Misuzu's various expressions.

Quote:
    The white balance of (supposed) Summer Arc in the movie was way too high. They felt like overexposed photograph. There should be better ways to create a historic / legendary / nostalgic feeling.

The Movie's "summer arc" was portrayed as a vague and distant memory. Yes, there was too much "whiteness" and stuff, but one has to remember that Misuzu's the one spoiler[imagining/imaging these things from her mind when reading the book and viewing the detail-less board-paintings in the temple]. It was spoiler[ as dream-like] as it should be.

It's not it's own separate arc-portrayal as it was done vividly in the TV-series, in contrast.

The other whiteness in the movie that I'd read people complained about was in Misuzu's time. Definitely there was too much glare, but it really oughta be like that. It was uncanny.

I didn't like it at first, but then again, I live in SoCal and I pretty much experience the same glare-effect whenever I'm at the beach at certain times. Noonish, mostly. That's why we have ray-bans. Razz

Most people will prolly get turned off by it, but it is what it is. Laughing

edit: clarity
    Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    Page 7 of 7