• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At various points throughout the series – which all along the way is completely humorless, wallowing in angst, practically staring at itself in the mirror while applying black eyeliner through bloody tears – it's terribly confusing, extremely gruesome, and even boring at points.

This was what I thought about the first movie, and hearing it from someone else (furthermore, someone else I disagree with almost exclusively) doesn't really make me want to go on with the rest. I can't recall ever seeing anything in any media (off the top of my head) quite as humorless as the first KnK movie. It looked nice, but that's about it...oh well, I'll get around to the other ones at some point.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I think one of the most glaring moments of Garden's questionable pacing is a scene in the first movie where Shiki comes home and eats a cup of ice cream. I'm guessing the scene lasts for maybe 3 minutes, but those are the three of the slowest minutes of film I have ever sat through. In the moment, I'm wondering what's the point is of all this. Even with the context, I was still wondering why ufotable felt like so much of the movie had to be dedicated to a girl eating ice cream.

Kara no Kyoukai being sponsored by Häagen-Dazs? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
The thing that stuck out for me in the review was the comment that the $400 release had been sold out. That worries me heaps. That means that the experiment has succeeded and the forecast profits will be achieved.

Look out now for more super-priced fancy releases marketed to idiots who have more money than brains. Look out for reduced opportunities for the rest of us to legally watch anime that has caught our attention. (Which amounts to the same thing that people who only watch fansubs are doing).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
The thing that stuck out for me in the review was the comment that the $400 release had been sold out. That worries me heaps. That means that the experiment has succeeded and the forecast profits will be achieved.

If it's that popular, I hope it encourages Kodansha USA to license the novels. *crosses fingers* >.<
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Just to put it in context, the most expensive anime set purchase I probably have is the Genon boxset of Gankutsuou, which is about as long as the entire Kara no Kyoukai saga, and it was $150. Even if you need to tack on an extra for the Blu-Ray, $400 is insane; $200 would be far more reasonable, and at modern-day prices they need to make it lower still. It isn't going to get purchased by many people, and it's far more likely people will resort to fansubs at that price.

Well, back in the day I bought the original Pioneer (Geneon) Fushigi Yugi box set releases for $200 each, so the whole series for $400 and that was a partially blind buy (I had bought the first VHS before, so I guess you could say I paid $30 to sample it). Ok, granted, that's roughly 1300 minutes of anime, as compared to the 500 or so from this, but the point being that I didn't think twice about buying them. Same with this release. You can say it's insane all you want, but the fact is, it sold. Why would they need to lower the price if people were buying it up at the current price point? I didn't buy this because I just bought a condo and didn't have that kind of disposable income, but once I get my feet back under me, so to speak, I likely wouldn't think twice about buying something like that. But, Rightstuf would appear to be sold out of their stock, so I don't see me getting my hands on it any time soon. I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could track a copy down, but it's not very high on my priority list.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I think one of the most glaring moments of Garden's questionable pacing is a scene in the first movie where Shiki comes home and eats a cup of ice cream. I'm guessing the scene lasts for maybe 3 minutes, but those are the three of the slowest minutes of film I have ever sat through. In the moment, I'm wondering what's the point is of all this. Even with the context, I was still wondering why ufotable felt like so much of the movie had to be dedicated to a girl eating ice cream.

You left out the part where she's in her underwear. Considering the Japanese, and their love of demoralization, I assumed watching a one-armed girl in her underwear struggle to open and eat a cup of ice cream was some kind of creepy fanservice.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

Look out now for more super-priced fancy releases marketed to idiots who have more money than brains. Look out for reduced opportunities for the rest of us to legally watch anime that has caught our attention. (Which amounts to the same thing that people who only watch fansubs are doing).

This I don't and will never understand. An insult directed towards people that went out and actually purchased something they like. Forget the people that are probably at this moment ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADING rips of this set. Bash those now broke consumers instead Rolling Eyes

Why so bitter? Japanese releases have always been ridiculously expensive. Is this something you just discovered? I'm truly sorry that you can't have everything that you want for the price you are willing to spend. Where does this twisted sense of entitlement come from anyway??
utawoutau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but its like the publishers are practically begging fans to run to torrent this.

I hope that there will eventually be a more reasonably priced set. I don't need collector's edition garbage. It would also be nice if I didn't have to buy this blind. Despite positive review, tastes are subjective.

Last edited by utawoutau on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Look out now for more super-priced fancy releases marketed to idiots who have more money than brains.

I honestly worried about supporting a release like this one, but at the end of the day, I don't think too many fans could continue buying $400 titles. So while I probably did add some fuel to the fire, I don't think there's enough cash out there for it to continue to burn.

I knew this would be a limited release and I knew that I would regret missing the opportunity to own it. So I bought it. That's not to say that I chomp on every limited edition release - this one was special to me.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
gerbilx wrote:
Not knowing what was going on and accepting the series' general pacing did not in any way seem like anything abnormal to ask of the audience.

I guess we'll just have to disagree there. That scene, specifically, sold me on watching the whole of the first movie.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Well, back in the day I bought the original Pioneer (Geneon) Fushigi Yugi box set releases for $200 each, so the whole series for $400 and that was a partially blind buy (I had bought the first VHS before, so I guess you could say I paid $30 to sample it). Ok, granted, that's roughly 1300 minutes of anime, as compared to the 500 or so from this, but the point being that I didn't think twice about buying them. Same with this release. You can say it's insane all you want, but the fact is, it sold. Why would they need to lower the price if people were buying it up at the current price point? I didn't buy this because I just bought a condo and didn't have that kind of disposable income, but once I get my feet back under me, so to speak, I likely wouldn't think twice about buying something like that. But, Rightstuf would appear to be sold out of their stock, so I don't see me getting my hands on it any time soon. I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could track a copy down, but it's not very high on my priority list.

How big was their stock, though? I mean, how many copies did they have? A hundred? Maybe? They may have gotten all the profits they felt they wanted from it, but they would probably get more if they lowered the price. Why not make it comparable to your blind-buy of the past and give it a $0.30/minute for a nice round $154?

Personally, I don't think spending $400 in one sitting on entertainment is fiscally responsible, but then again, I've been broke and underemployed for 18 months, so my perspective has been skewed to the "cheap." I really liked Kara no Kyoukai, but not enough to use up almost four years' worth of the "anime budget" that I give myself. Make it only $154, I could save up and buy that (after Utena comes out).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
This I don't and will never understand. An insult directed towards people that went out and actually purchased something they like. Forget the people that are probably at this moment ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADING rips of this set. Bash those now broke consumers instead Rolling Eyes

Why so bitter? Japanese releases have always been ridiculously expensive. Is this something you just discovered? I'm truly sorry that you can't have everything that you want for the price you are willing to spend. Where does this twisted sense of entitlement come from anyway??

I’m being a rational economic creature. I want to buy licensed product as cheaply as possible. People willing to pay $400 are pushing the price of anime up – it’s the simple equation of supply and demand.

here-and-faraway wrote:
I honestly worried about supporting a release like this one, but at the end of the day, I don't think too many fans could continue buying $400 titles. So while I probably did add some fuel to the fire, I don't think there's enough cash out there for it to continue to burn.

I knew this would be a limited release and I knew that I would regret missing the opportunity to own it. So I bought it. That's not to say that I chomp on every limited edition release - this one was special to me.

I just hope a budget release is on the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
The boxset is sold out already? Damn! I knew I should have splurged and ordered it right away instead of putting in an order for Funimation DVDs. After all, this was a limited edition, once it's gone, it's gone, type of thing, whereas Funi DVDs will be released and re-released forever.
Well, time to go see how much the actual import will cost...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Going by Zac's reactions over twitter I was expecting something like a C or at most a B-.

As for the price of the product, I spent about 400 dollars total on anime and manga last year, I have no intention of spending all that money on any one product unless it's something like a new Ipod or a game console.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Wishful thinking Zac. The fact that this release is sold out only a day after it came out, despite the price tag, is testament that Aniplex doesn't have to bother with anything proper.

Morons will continually spill over to scoop this up, even if they end up selling their own blood dry, and in the process, will screw over regular Joes like you and me.

Sorry, but my views on this bullshit are quite harsh, and no, nothing besides a proper release will change that. Which is pretty much never...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10