• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect Zac to like this much, given the previous ANNcast mention. The review does make me sort of curious, but there's no way in hell I'd ever spend that much money on movies. You could buy like eight whole series for that much.
Azure Shift

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
How big was their stock, though? I mean, how many copies did they have? A hundred? Maybe? They may have gotten all the profits they felt they wanted from it, but they would probably get more if they lowered the price. Why not make it comparable to your blind-buy of the past and give it a $0.30/minute for a nice round $154?

There's a lot more to the economics of this series than just the price.

At $154 they would have needed to have sold 2.6x as many copies to make the same gross sales, but obviously their profit per unit would have been much lower that 38% (Don't forget there are manufacturing costs, shipping costs from Japan and the retailers' cut). Suddenly 2.6x as many becomes something like 4x as many to make the same gross markup.

The retailers' cut is usually 50% of the SRP. But in situations where there's a high ticket price and an exclusive retailer, that % drops pretty significantly.

Thing is, to sell 4x as many, they're going to need more sales channels, so the retailer's exclusive is gone, and the per unit profit for the retailer is diminished, so the retailers won't be willing to accept diminished markup. Suddenly, despite dropping the SRP by 62%, the publisher has to drop the wholesale price by 75%, which is a very drastic cut into their per unit markup. They now need to sell 7x as many units to make the same profit.

Unfortunately, despite being only 38% of the cost, and despite being very good value for 8 movies, $154 is still way more than casual buyers are willing to spend on a single anime release.

I know how many units they sold (sorry, can't share) and no way in hell would a $154 set have sold even 5x as many units.

In other words, the $400 price tag and limited run was more profitable.

Hopefully there soon will be a cheaper (DVD only?) run that will sell more units to casual consumers without making the people who spent $400 for the limited edition feel cheated. They'll have to break it down into multiple releases in order to get the necessary sub $50 price tags.

Ahh..I see well that's something interesting. I do hope to come across individual DVDs for this,from this review Zac did I am really curious about this series now.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

This is really silly thinking to me. It's like complaining that because someone released an $800,000 limited edition Jaguar, cars in the future will be unaffordable to the common man.

Aside from Legend of the Galactic Heroes - which has hardcore fans begging to pay upwards of $1000 or more each to buy a legal subtitled release of the series - there really aren't a lot of other series out there like this one. A series of 7 theatrical films that tell a serial story is an extremely rare thing; the company is selling it as premium content to a fanbase that pays premium prices.

Interpreting every single release or every relatively new idea being introduced into the fractured R1 market for anime as some kind of game-changer, something that has an impact on the big picture of retail is foolish. This is a snow leopard, not a housecat.

Hm... But it wasn't the "premium fanbase" that brought attention to this series. Smile It was just regular curious people. Another case of elitists causing misconception: Just because the die-hardtoids "like it more than everyone else" doesn't mean everyone else doesn't like it at all.

Just because the method of the show is a rarity to the industry doesn't mean it should be a rarity to watch to everyday viewers. I never said this release will harm the R1 market altogether. I merely implied it will hurt Aniplex altogether.

Those guys have been pretty damn stupid with their prices, and you don't need a market analyst to tell you this...this "business strategy" of theirs regarding this release is none too helping their case.

The simple fact of the matter is, most people won't get a chance to see this series. Most people who have seen but want to own it won't be able to. And most people who are exposed to bits of interest towards this series, will automatically lose their interest when they see what the cost for their interest will be.

If that isn't enough to cause a legitimate upset, I don't know what is. And all of this boils down to one thing: Aniplex is practically holding up a sign shouting "PLEASE TORRENT THIS SERIES INSTEAD!" I don't know about you, Zac, but when it comes to Aniplex's release here, I'm having a really hard time finding something. It's a small, really stupid little thing that apparently only morons are perceived to make use of these days. I think it's called LOGIC! Rolling Eyes

I could be wrong though - after all, I'm one of those morons.
scottfrye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Zac wrote:

This is really silly thinking to me. It's like complaining that because someone released an $800,000 limited edition Jaguar, cars in the future will be unaffordable to the common man.

Aside from Legend of the Galactic Heroes - which has hardcore fans begging to pay upwards of $1000 or more each to buy a legal subtitled release of the series - there really aren't a lot of other series out there like this one. A series of 7 theatrical films that tell a serial story is an extremely rare thing; the company is selling it as premium content to a fanbase that pays premium prices.

Interpreting every single release or every relatively new idea being introduced into the fractured R1 market for anime as some kind of game-changer, something that has an impact on the big picture of retail is foolish. This is a snow leopard, not a housecat.

Hm... But it wasn't the "premium fanbase" that brought attention to this series. Smile It was just regular curious people. Another case of elitists causing misconception: Just because the die-hardtoids "like it more than everyone else" doesn't mean everyone else doesn't like it at all.

Just because the method of the show is a rarity to the industry doesn't mean it should be a rarity to watch to everyday viewers. I never said this release will harm the R1 market altogether. I merely implied it will hurt Aniplex altogether.

Those guys have been pretty damn stupid with their prices, and you don't need a market analyst to tell you this...this "business strategy" of theirs regarding this release is none too helping their case.

The simple fact of the matter is, most people won't get a chance to see this series. Most people who have seen but want to own it won't be able to. And most people who are exposed to bits of interest towards this series, will automatically lose their interest when they see what the cost for their interest will be.

If that isn't enough to cause a legitimate upset, I don't know what is. And all of this boils down to one thing: Aniplex is practically holding up a sign shouting "PLEASE TORRENT THIS SERIES INSTEAD!" I don't know about you, Zac, but when it comes to Aniplex's release here, I'm having a really hard time finding something. It's a small, really stupid little thing that apparently only morons are perceived to make use of these days. I think it's called LOGIC! Rolling Eyes

I could be wrong though - after all, I'm one of those morons.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. And this is nothing new, Bandai Visual USA and other Japanese attempts to sell directly to the US has never worked out. They didn't last long and didn't make anime expensive for all anime releases. Yes, it made their stufff expensive but not for all the other R1 anime companies. This won't change anything drastically.

Aniplex USA will try this again and they might make money on next release. But if they continue to do so then they wont last very long. We have seen this a few times now.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
The sky is falling, is falling the sky.

I'm sorry John but it is the ones who cannot pony up who are making the threads on this release into angry whingefests and cries for salvation from the doom of paying a premium price for a premium product.

Just because you can't afford porterhouse doesn't mean I shouldn't. There's plenty of top sirloins available, have you seen Samurai Harem? I'm sure its lovely and you seem to need a laugh.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
I'm superior because I can afford porterhouse steak.

Yes, maybe, but, unlike porterhouse steak, you can download fansubs of the Garden of Sinners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
I'm very curious if anyone here bought this blind?

I can't really see myself ever paying $400 on a blind buy. Maybe that makes me a crappy fan, but I'm ok with that in this case.

I know very little about KnK, so if I had bought it, it would have been a completely blind purchase. The more I hear about it kind of makes me glad I didn't go for it. Doesn't really sound like the type of show that I would want to re-watch very much. Sounds a little too gloomy for me.

Would probably pay for limited streaming if that was offered, though that would depend on price as well.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:40 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I can't really see myself ever paying $400 on a blind buy.

Actually, come to think of it, this would probably be a great show to buy blind. After all, you could probably re-sell it if necessary, even used, for as much as you paid.
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
This is a great review. I approve of this review. This review is awesome.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I can't really see myself ever paying $400 on a blind buy.

Actually, come to think of it, this would probably be a great show to buy blind. After all, you could probably re-sell it if necessary, even used, for as much as you paid.

I bought this blind myself. I'm up to disk 4 and have been loving it.

Then again, I enjoyed Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime. So its not really a blind buy, its a mystic eyes of death perception buy.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
After all, you could probably re-sell it if necessary, even used, for as much as you paid.

Maybe for even double considering they are sold out and its now impossible to get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Nayu wrote:
I'm superior because I can afford porterhouse steak.

Yes, maybe, but, unlike porterhouse steak, you can download fansubs of the Garden of Sinners.

Choosing not to do evil when you can get away with it is what seperates a man from the beasts.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't pay 5 bucks for it. Not counting the resale value. It's Nasuverse stuff so if one doesn't like the others, one won't like KnK either.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Choosing not to do evil when you can get away with it is what seperates a man from the beasts.

In my moral universe eating meat is evil (whether porterhouse or sirloin). I also think profiteering is evil. Which just goes to show that claiming the moral high ground is always a hazard.

Please bear with me. This will get back to Kara no Kyoukai.

There are three essential arguments against fansubbing:
1) It's immoral - a problematic argument as everyone has their own standards;
2) It's illegal. Has it been tested in courts? Will I be caught?
3) It hurts the fansub watcher because it deprives the industry of income, contributing to a reduction in output, and thereby reducing the amount of available anime.

I want to consider the last point because it has a parallel with Kara no Kyoukai.

Like most people (I imagine) I want as broad a range of anime available to me at the cheapest possible price. The two are connected: the cheaper the price, the more I can afford to buy.

Price is determined by how much people are willing to pay. A provider will predict how much volume (v) they will sell for a given price (p) and subtract how much it will cost (c) to produce that volume.

This formula can be put as: Return = v*(p-c).

The provider will look at a range of values for v, p & c and choose those values that provide the best return.

Aniplex may estimate they can sell 10,000 copies at $400. They may also estimate that they would sell 12,000 copies at $300. If so, guess what price they will settle for?

If only 4,000 people will buy it at $400 and 12,000 at $300, again, guess what price they will settle for?

The more people there are willing to pay outrageous prices for anime the more the distributors will charge and fewer anime we will have access to with the finite resources we have as buyers, regardless of our wealth. I may have to reduce my purchases from 25 a year to 20 a year. A bigger spender may have to reduce their purchases from 100 to 80.

This is precisely the scenario that fansubbing is creating. For sure, unlike fansubbing, access will be restricted by price barriers rather than production barriers, but the result is the same. We all get to see less anime.

Last edited by Errinundra on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
I don't know why some posters are so convinced that this Aniplex release means that there will never be a cheaper version in the future. While I am loathe to make any kind of definitive statement when it comes to any anime distrib, I find it kind of hard to believe that Aniplex - given the obvious popularity of the series - doesn't plan to vacuum up the money from those of us who found the $400 release too rich for our blood with a non-collector release at some point. And anybody who pisses and moans about "elitism" simply because some people exercised their democratic right to buy a product ... well, the "be polite and respectful" rule around here prevents me from giving full vent to what I think of that limpdick attitude but let me just leave behind one of these ... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10