• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Tokimeki Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
And BTW: I have never owned a cell phone (just needed to get that out of my system).

Why the hell don't you own a cell phone? It's the 21st century, not 20th! Get with the times!

LOL at Krillin in drag!
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Jrittmayer wrote:
Hey Justin was wondering if you could post a picture of boxset / DVD's you're reviewing in each article.

I can't promise that, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

Cool, thanks Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
vanfanel wrote:
And BTW: I have never owned a cell phone (just needed to get that out of my system).

Why the hell don't you own a cell phone? It's the 21st century, not 20th! Get with the times!

LOL at Krillin in drag!

Christopher Walken doesn't have a cellphone. Don't you wanna be cool like him?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

Not owning a cell doesn't make someone technologically backwards. I own a cheap Nokia for emergencies but I rarely use it. I just don't have much use for it.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

That's such a sweet, gentle little show, and well-written to boot. Nice to know there are other fans of it out there.

van: No problem friend. I have about a 4 episode backlog in that show in the subbed version, and I am a little ashamed of that. I used to keep up with the releases pretty tightly. I have the whole thing in RAW, but I have put it to the side knowing that it will eventually be complete. It's the kind of show I like to watch before bed, mellows me out.

And after reading this forum and thinking a bit more, I think I might start or post to a thread of "What is in YOUR pile of shame"?

I know BOTH Fullmetal Alchemist shows are on my netflix queue of shame, for one. In disks on my shelf the second half of about 3 series are on my pile including "Elfin Lied", "This Crazy But Beautiful World", and "Diamond Dust Drops/Daydreams".

Whole series on my Pile Of Shame include "Black Lagoon seasons 1 and 2", and "Spice and Wolf season 2", among I am sure many others.
Desert Kitsune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, this is not a "Pile of Shame", this is just "The Unwatched Pile".

A Pile of Shame is anime you don't want to admit you have watched, want to watch, or own (especially own), hence the "Shame" part.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Desert Kitsune wrote:

A Pile of Shame is anime you don't want to admit you have watched, want to watch, or own (especially own), hence the "Shame" part.

'Pile of Shame' has, and always has, referred to a pile of media you always meant to get around to and never did. Every film lover and media collector I know refers to their "stuff I keep meaning to get to and never did" stack as the Pile of Shame.

Also not going to change the name of the column based on your personal definition.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Desert Kitsune wrote:

Really? Reeeallllly?

You break nearly a year's silence to be pedantic and with a claim that so far as I can tell is nowhere near authoritative?

I don't get it.

What's more, I don't agree with your assertion. I think it's clear that idea here is that the 'shame' is having allowed such a vast, farraginous mass of unwatched titles accumulate. Besides, even if you don't accept that, The Unwatched Pile is nowhere near as punchy, distinctive or befitting of the author a title, which would make the semantic stretch worth it.

This happened with Buried Treasures from time to time too and I remember somebody one asking that, "the," be removed from The List because it wasn't entitled to claim to be definitive. I'm half surprised that nobody ever complained about Brain Diving being about books rather than neurology. Where does this inane urge to semantics-lawyer column titles come from?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I already have enough titles in the queue to keep me busy for quite some time, but some of those (Happy Birthday, Momoko) sound like good bets for down the road. (And Escaflowne??? REALLY??? What am I, a newbie?)

Oh yes! Definitely review those two movies I mentioned! Licca Fansubs subbed Happy Birthday, but Momoko still has yet to be subbed (Doll Licca, founder of said fansub group, has a RAW of it if you want to ask her for it). And yeah, I mentioned Escaflowne because I've been on a HUGE kick lately even though I JUST saw it over the summer and I'm head over heels for it, especially Kanno's soundtrack, Dilandau, and Dilandau's German dub voice!
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Desert Kitsune wrote:

'Pile of Shame' has, and always has, referred to a pile of media you always meant to get around to and never did. Every film lover and media collector I know refers to their "stuff I keep meaning to get to and never did" stack as the Pile of Shame.

Also not going to change the name of the column based on your personal definition.

Zac, I believe what Desert Kitsune is referring to is a "Guilty Pleasure". "Pile of Shame" well describes things that you should have gotten to some time ago, I have them on my workbench too, the chair I have been meaning to fix, the clock.. I have been meaning to fix, and the Master Grade Zaku I have been meaning to build.
smashwagon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

What's more, I don't agree with your assertion. I think it's clear that idea here is that the 'shame' is having allowed such a vast, farraginous mass of unwatched titles accumulate. Besides, even if you don't accept that, The Unwatched Pile is nowhere near as punchy, distinctive or befitting of the author a title, which would make the semantic stretch worth it.

This happened with Buried Treasures from time to time too and I remember somebody one asking that, "the," be removed from The List because it wasn't entitled to claim to be definitive. I'm half surprised that nobody ever complained about Brain Diving being about books rather than neurology. Where does this inane urge to semantics-lawyer column titles come from?

While I agree that it is senseless to quibble over titles, "shame" and "guilt" are words that have really negative connotations, and (at least until present) were used only to describe criminal activity, scandals and disgusting behavior. I actually alluded to that even as far back as page one of this thread.

I don't like the idea feeling guilt or shame by put off personal projects, and future mental or physical excursions, as it will color your experience when you finally get to it. Then that chair that you built will not be a source of pride and finesse but of obligation, and that movie you finally watched will often seem like a chore. It is quite silly the way people throw around "guilt" these days, when they are saying "I'm too much of a hipster to admit that I like this Justin Timberlake song" or something similar.

But hey, it isn't my column anyhow, but I enjoyed this one, and if they keep being interesting I will keep reading. As an anime fan, titles are something easy to overlook.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
smashwagon wrote:

While I agree that it is senseless to quibble over titles, "shame" and "guilt" are words that have really negative connotations, and (at least until present) were used only to describe criminal activity, scandals and disgusting behavior. I actually alluded to that even as far back as page one of this thread.

I think I may disagree with the idea that "Guilt" and "Shame" have always been used to describe criminal behavior. Something that you might not want others to know about, sure. But criminal, that is going too far I think. Look those words up in the dictionary and you will find that these are feelings, and do not necessarily indicate an actual crime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Not having watched all the anime that has come throught one's door in a reasonable time is pretty shameful to me. If I wasn't able to watch it, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I don't mean to boast ( but I will anyway ) Laughing every VHS and DVD that is on my shelf has been viewed before it got there. I mean how will I have known if the disc I received was faulty in the amount of time to get it exchanged, or refunded? Most shops won't do that after 6 months here in the UK.
kailegh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
Omg YES, this show! I'd watch this & Kiss Me, Licia with my sister. Her dad's ability to turn into an umbrella is the best thing imo xD
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
Good news for Ranze fans: I've been recruited to translate the remaining episodes.

I have three remaining (which should be done next week).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8