• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Tokimeki Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain most people today still use flip phones. It's pretty much the epitome of cell phone qua phone design.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You are wrong, Clyde. It may have changed now, but clamshells have remained predominantly popular in Japan even as the touch screens began taking hold. Even now, not everyone has smartphones or touchscreens. You may, but you are not everyone. In fact, you contradicted yourself by saying you cringe every time you see someone using a clamshell in real life, and I'm assuming you weren't using the past tense. But really, your argument of "why don't these late 80s teens have a $5,000 [in today's money] device!" is just idiotic. Gonna complain that ships in Gunbuster have reel-to-reels in the background?

Flip phones were cool....back in two-thousand-[expletive]-five.

Now? They're so backward! Get with the times, Japan! Flip phones are obsolete!

Do you still use DOS? Me neither. Why cling to ancient technology?
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
If you'd pull that stick out of your spine, you'd realize that flip phones are hardly obsolete - as I said, they're pretty much the best choice for people only interested in their cell as a phone. Not every wants or needs a pocket minicomputer.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
If you'd pull that stick out of your spine, you'd realize that flip phones are hardly obsolete - as I said, they're pretty much the best choice for people only interested in their cell as a phone. Not every wants or needs a pocket minicomputer.

You say that now but wait until everyone and their dog has a smartphone and you're left in the dust. I can say this because I once called out a coworker for using a flip phone (He was an exchange student who'd come here for the summer). Luddite.

For such a technologically advanced, perverted nation, Japan still has some catching-up to do in the cell phone department. Funny how we Americans invent things, Germany makes them last longer, England makes them more refined, and Japan makes them smaller and more efficient and yet they don't progress beyond flip phones en masse like we did.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
You say that now but wait until everyone and their dog has a smartphone and you're left in the dust. I can say this because I once called out a coworker for using a flip phone (He was an exchange student who'd come here for the summer). Luddite.

You're a jackass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
^And that as well.

My mom and sister don't see any reason big enough for them want to switch to a smart phone. They don't play games, they don't text (they have it turned off on their plan), if they need a computer then they have ones at home, my sister already owns a GPS, etc. I was in the same boat until last summer when I got a smart phone - it was convenient to check e-mail for work, plus many of the coworkers I hang out with kept texting me and it was becoming a pain constantly reminding them that I can't receive texts (mom, sis, and myself are all on a family plan, which I recently upgraded in order to have a larger data plan with my phone). My dad has a smartphone given to him by work, but he doesn't use it much beyond phone calls.

For many people, flip phones are enough. If all they want is a portable phone to call people with, it is a simple, cheap option. I don't think I could go back, because I've found other uses for my phone that are convenient, but I'm part of a younger generation that's more open to adapting new techs.

Also, I think the job you have possibly affects the type of phone you get. I'm a development engineer at a medical device company, and I notice that about 100% of the other engineers also have them (and they got them earlier than myself). Having 'em is a big plus for marketing and product managers, who adopted early. But for those down on our production line? I notice that many of them still have flip phones (then again, a majority of them are in their 40s-50s, so their age is probably a confounding factor).

-----

And in regards to the "Pile of Shame"... I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more from this column. Tokimeki Tonight sounds like fun, and I may just check the fansubs out some day (if an official release is never brought stateside).

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Polycell wrote:

For such a technologically advanced, perverted nation, Japan still has some catching-up to do in the cell phone department. Funny how we Americans invent things, Germany makes them last longer, England makes them more refined, and Japan makes them smaller and more efficient and yet they don't progress beyond flip phones en masse like we did.

Have you talked to your therapist about this strange obsession?
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Really?
Really?
Really?
REALLY?

Zac, I've spoken with friends and relatives about this "obsession" as you call it. Much cheaper than paying some shrink a few pics of Ben Franklin to say the same stuff.

willag, I'll take a smartphone over a flip phone but if I want to game, I've got a PC. Smartphones can't run the kinds of games I play. "Casual games" such as Angry Birds don't count. Those aren't even real games. They're an insult to us hardcore PC and console gamers.

I can barely even watch Misery now knowing that the whole mess with James Caan being held hostage and tortured would be avoided if they just had cell phones and the Internet. I couldn't help but burst into laughter upon seeing a [expletive] typewriter. I laugh every time I walk into Staples and still see them selling typewriters! NOBODY USES THEM ANYMORE! WE HAVE LAPTOPS NOW! GOOD JESUS MUHAMMAD ODIN CHRIST! To be fair, if Kathy Bates is smart enough to gut a landline phone, she'd be smart enough to smash a smartphone to pieces. It just hasn't aged all that well now.
Bio-Dome? Funny movie, but Pauly Shore and Steven Baldwin getting trapped in the titular dome would have been avoided if they had cell phones.
Cliff Clavin? The mailman-cum-bullshit artist from Cheers? We've all met someone like that--maybe you might know, say, some schmuck who claims they played a Storm Trooper in Star Wars. We can shut not-so-nice-people like them up with a quick Google search on our phones now.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TechnologyMarchesOn

Sci-fi, fantasy, and anything set from WW2 on back gets a free pass.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote=Some tech rant[/quote]

What does it matter if someone wants to use a flip-phone and not a smartphone. I have a flip-phone only because A) I got back before smart phones were starting to come out, and B) I really have little interest in smart phones. I actually don't like cell phones at all. If I had my way I would not have a cell phone at all.

Casual games are still games.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the article, Justin! I'd heard of Tokimeki Tonight, but not much about it. It sounds like a lot of fun, and hopefully gets a legal subbed release. I'd love to stream it on my five-year-old MacBookPro, or three-year-old iPod Touch, or the big fat CRT TV in the living room! Twisted Evil
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I laugh every time I walk into Staples and still see them selling typewriters! NOBODY USES THEM ANYMORE! WE HAVE LAPTOPS NOW! GOOD JESUS MUHAMMAD ODIN CHRIST!
Sci-fi, fantasy, and anything set from WW2 on back gets a free pass.

Wow... Just wow. Forgive me for sounding callous, but I think we have just seen a mental breakdown happen on the ANN forums.

Really, Clyde, you are taking this way too seriously. I can understand maybe chuckling at the sight of a giant cellphone from the 80s, but to complain about flip phones? Also, are you seriously trying to argue that the fact that technology advances means that there is no way to enjoy titles made from the past (or at least your oddly specific time frame of 1949-Present)? Just because we have more technologically-advanced devices doesn't mean that the older stuff is useless & should be buried. Also, how can one learn about how we got to the stuff we have now without seeing the stuff that predated them?

Granted, I might be an oddball who has his DVD player sitting on top of his LD player, with an Xbox 360, Wii U, Dreamcast, Saturn, & Sega Genesis next to them, but that's just how I see it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Really?
Really?
Really?
REALLY?

Even on the forums it's rare to meet a genuinely unhinged person. Thank you for giving me this opportunity.

You say that no-one uses flip-phones anymore, and yet you also complain that too many people are using flip-phones. That you have not realised this easy-to-spot contradiction - despite it being already pointed out to you - is frankly amusing.

As for what I use, I use a Samsung that was ancient even back when I bought it in 2010. It's not even a flip-phone, it's the older version of this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Bio-Dome? Funny movie, but Pauly Shore and Steven Baldwin getting trapped in the titular dome would have been avoided if they had cell phones.

You tipped your hand here but this is making me laugh anyway. Good show.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I openly laughed at the Big Lebowski part of his rant on cell phones. Good lord this is hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8