• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Tokimeki Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You are wrong, Clyde. It may have changed now, but clamshells have remained predominantly popular in Japan even as the touch screens began taking hold. Even now, not everyone has smartphones or touchscreens. You may, but you are not everyone.

I told him the same thing over on Crunchyroll, to no avail.

When I saw his first message here, I didn't even have to consider if the username was the same; the obsession with cell phones is a very unique and annoying identifier.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Unlike Paulie Shore, Clyde_Cash is hilarious. Anyone think he'd mind if I locked him in an unusually shaped scientific enclosure?

jsevakis wrote:
And you can't make me sit through that pile of garbage again. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

Aw, c'mon Justin, you still haven't seen the glory that is Media Blasters' Grindhouse Edition Blu-ray! It's got LD quality inserts and everything!

...seriously, I'll bring wine. (A lot. You'll need it.) You have to see that train wreck, from a video nerd standpoint if nothing else.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, it's not just me with the pile of anime series partly watched or not at all that just keeps growing instead of shrinking each year... after 17 (for me) years. Look forward to future columns.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I laugh every time I walk into Staples and still see them selling typewriters! NOBODY USES THEM ANYMORE! WE HAVE LAPTOPS NOW! GOOD JESUS MUHAMMAD ODIN CHRIST!
Sci-fi, fantasy, and anything set from WW2 on back gets a free pass.

Wow... Just wow. Forgive me for sounding callous, but I think we have just seen a mental breakdown happen on the ANN forums.

Really, Clyde, you are taking this way too seriously. I can understand maybe chuckling at the sight of a giant cellphone from the 80s, but to complain about flip phones? Also, are you seriously trying to argue that the fact that technology advances means that there is no way to enjoy titles made from the past (or at least your oddly specific time frame of 1949-Present)? Just because we have more technologically-advanced devices doesn't mean that the older stuff is useless & should be buried. Also, how can one learn about how we got to the stuff we have now without seeing the stuff that predated them?

Granted, I might be an oddball who has his DVD player sitting on top of his LD player, with an Xbox 360, Wii U, Dreamcast, Saturn, & Sega Genesis next to them, but that's just how I see it.

I only keep my 15" CRT TV around because my 22" LED TV won't display my Super Nintendo, N64, and PS1 games properly. Got a PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox which I barely touch.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
^^^
has a CRT TV to play old video games

flips his shit when people use old cellphones.

oh the irony.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Awesome column; I'm very much looking forward to more. As a UY fan, this show sounds like just the kind of thing I'd enjoy.

You're making me want to dive into my own backlog too. Actually, how's this for an idea: what if we all try to watch something from our backlogs during the next two weeks and tell what we watched in the comments next time (in addition to commenting on the article, of course)? The day a new column is posted could be Backlog Reduction Day!

And BTW: I have never owned a cell phone (just needed to get that out of my system).
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote

I was using one of these until 2009. I only replaced it because I couldn't find a new battery for it. I still have it as a backup phone in case my iPhone breaks. Best phone I've ever owned.

Back on topic, this show sounds awesome. 80's comedy is right up my alley. Looking forward to more of this column. I've missed Justin's writing.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
Clamshell use has dropped precipitously over the past 2 years in my opinion, as carriers other than softbank started carrying them as well as Android phones.

I'd say it's maybe 60% smart phone, 40% other at this point.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
Congrats on the new column!

...I see HachiKuro in that pile on the right. WATCH IT.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for this new column, as I was introduced to anime as a kid to things like CCS and Sailormoon, so beyond things of that era I've had next to no exposure to "classic" anime of any quality (Can it really be vintage if it's '80s? That can't be right). I'm eager to change that beyond delving into icons like Ranma, Kenshin, and Hakusho.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
Justin it is great to see you in a column again, and one I am very excited to see as well.

And your first choice for topic was Tokimeki Tonight! Awesome pick! As you heard there is a group that has been slowly subbing the entire thing, and that is very very welcome. I first saw a bit of this show back in the late 80's in raw Japanese because a friend of mine's brother had taped it while he was in Japan and was insistent on sharing it, and that was all of it I saw for about two decades. It remained in my mind because it struck me as just so light and delightful, and now that I have been able to watch it in better quality and subtitled it has held up to my memory pretty well.

Thank you for the review of it!

Another old classic, due to the fansub group "Technogirls" that did "Brother, Dear Brother" aka Oniisama E, is Mizuiro Jidai, They called it "The Blue Green Years", and it is a sort of Wonder Years of anime. I'd love to see that show up in your column. It is an old favorite of mine, and it is slowly nearing completion by another fansubber in DVD quality.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I still use a "clamshell" "flip phone" whatever. A Nokia 2720. I'm just not ready to talk into a ceramic tile just yet.Laughing

Justin wrote:
Update: There has apparently been a recent effort to fansub the show, and as of this writing they've managed over 20 episodes. Thanks to everyone in the forum that updated me!
I get the feeling this will become a common occurance here. Wink
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Awesome column; I'm very much looking forward to more. As a UY fan, this show sounds like just the kind of thing I'd enjoy.

You're making me want to dive into my own backlog too. Actually, how's this for an idea: what if we all try to watch something from our backlogs during the next two weeks and tell what we watched in the comments next time (in addition to commenting on the article, of course)? The day a new column is posted could be Backlog Reduction Day!

And BTW: I have never owned a cell phone (just needed to get that out of my system).

I support this idea, my backlog may not be particularly old, but there's stuff in it that i've had for over a year and need to get to.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

That's not my ACTUAL pile of shame, I added 2/3 of the discs in my collection for comedic effect. Of course I've seen HachiKuro/Honey and Clover, as well as the discs they're laying on top of, the Patlabor movies...

vanfanel wrote:

That sounds pretty cool! DO IIIIIT! I expect a full report by next column!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I already have enough titles in the queue to keep me busy for quite some time, but some of those (Happy Birthday, Momoko) sound like good bets for down the road. (And Escaflowne??? REALLY??? What am I, a newbie?)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

That's not my ACTUAL pile of shame, I added 2/3 of the discs in my collection for comedic effect. Of course I've seen HachiKuro/Honey and Clover, as well as the discs they're laying on top of, the Patlabor movies...

Okay, phew! I was wondering if that was the case but had to say it just in case it wasn't. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8