• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Dream Eater Merry Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
According to a dub voice actress it costs anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 US dollars to do a good dub per episode. Are you going to front the money?

They can bring the dubbing business over here and get the job done for cents on the dollar, or continue bitching about it forever.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I would like it to be dubbed, but if its not possible I'll just have to hope for a BD release or maybe special features that would make this worth buying on regular dvd.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Aw boo. I was afraid sentai would get this before FUNimation. Looks like there'll be no dub or thinpak release for this. Sigh. And before any of you dub haters attack me, everyone has their own opinion of how they like to watch their anime, just sayin.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Darksorrow29 wrote:
According to a dub voice actress it costs anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 US dollars to do a good dub per episode. Are you going to front the money?

They can bring the dubbing business over here and get the job done for cents on the dollar, or continue bitching about it forever.

Yeah, and further cripple our economy Rolling Eyes .
Ugh... no. I'm not getting involved in another "no dub, WAAAAHHHHH!" fiasco.

Show has been fun. Honestly though, why didn't FUNi go for this one rather than that god-awful Freezing? Laughing Now Sentai has licensed both of my guilty pleasures of this season; this one and Infinite Stratos. In fact, they've been licensing most of my recent guilty pleasures in the past year or so: Koihime Musou, Kampfer, Samurai Girls... Cool .
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Know how much I'd love a sub-only version of Kaiba, Dennou Coil, or even Minami-ke? There are a lot of great series that end up unlicensed, so if you're a fan of a show (meaning you've already watched it with the Japanese voices), then you should be happy about some company bothering to license the show to begin with.

I concur, especially in regards to Kaiba getting picked up. Seriously people, stop bitching. Be happy that these companies give us the option of owning a series legally. Perhaps if a certain sub only series sells well then a dub release will come along (like with Clannad).
Really, do we have to do this again? FYI people bitching about other people bitching are just as annoying as the person who first started bitching.

And please people don't tell others what they should and shouldn't be happy with.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Know how much I'd love a sub-only version of Kaiba, Dennou Coil, or even Minami-ke? There are a lot of great series that end up unlicensed, so if you're a fan of a show (meaning you've already watched it with the Japanese voices), then you should be happy about some company bothering to license the show to begin with.

I concur, especially in regards to Kaiba getting picked up. Seriously people, stop bitching. Be happy that these companies give us the option of owning a series legally. Perhaps if a certain sub only series sells well then a dub release will come along (like with Clannad).
Really, do we have to do this again? FYI people bitching about other people bitching are just as annoying to the person who first started bitching.

And please people don't tell others what they should and shouldn't be happy with.

How is asking people to stop bitching considered bitching? Confused

And really, if they aren't happy about a sub-only release then they simply don't have to buy it. Or if they want to bitch then they should personally complain to the company instead of crying on the forums.

You know, people seem to forget that anime is made in Japan and, therefore, is spoken in Japanese language. Having dual audio is an added luxury for those who don't want to read subs (or can't because they are visually impaired).

As long as anime is being brought over for us to legally own then I could care less if its sub-only, dub-only, or dual audio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Well since I am not watch the series as it is coming out, I can't say that I am excited about it, but for the fans of the series I am happy to hear that another show that they may like is getting a R1 release is always good news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I caught the first episode of this and it somehow felt like something Sentai might license, just didn't think it would be quite so soon. So, even though I didn't want to follow fansubs of it I'll catch the legal release of it sometime then.

everydaygamer wrote:
well i enjoy watching anime with other people and its hard for a group of people to watch a series when its subtitled.

Really? My anime club watches almost everything subbed and we have no trouble with it (the subtitles are actually better for us since we talk so much). And I'm completely for a dub for this series but most people can follow subtitles pretty well, whether they're by themselves or watching in a group.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
well i enjoy watching anime with other people and its hard for a group of people to watch a series when its subtitled.

How come you guys are already whining about of lack of a dub? You have no right or any excuse to because: 1. The series is still new in Japan and has only been on the air for a month. 2. Theres no word on whether or not it will be dubbed. and 3. You do know that Sentai sub only releases are solicited 3 to 4 months after they are confirmed and a retail date is already set. There's no such set retail date, which means it probably will be dubbed.

Relax and be patient.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Dream Eater Merry's a nice show and should stand a good chance at being dubbed, since it's an action show with pretty visuals. Not sure it should've been picked it up so soon, though, as the end results are still up in the air.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Cool Sentai is getting a lot of new title bur its kind of sad that Funi not really getting any thing of lately
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Cool Sentai is getting a lot of new title bur its kind of sad that Funi not really getting any thing of lately

It's cool that Dream Eater Merry is licensed for DVD/BD release, and I would definitely get it on DVDs.

Funi's not getting as many anime this year is probably because they still have to dub many anime they've licensed last year (such as Shakugan no Shana 2 and its film, Railgun, Index, etc...).
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
This show just recently started right? So I guess this means they'll simulcast the rest on TAN?
Could be a delaycast, since they've been running one simulcast that last few seasons and they already have one this season in Stratos.
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
no blu-ray no buy
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
The Count wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Really, do we have to do this again? FYI people bitching about other people bitching are just as annoying to the person who first started bitching.

How is asking people to stop bitching considered bitching? Confused

And really, if they aren't happy about a sub-only release then they simply don't have to buy it. Or if they want to bitch then they should personally complain to the company instead of crying on the forums.

You know, people seem to forget that anime is made in Japan and, therefore, is spoken in Japanese language. Having dual audio is an added luxury for those who don't want to read subs (or can't because they are visually impaired).

As long as anime is being brought over for us to legally own then I could care less if its sub-only, dub-only, or dual audio.

My mother tongue is English, therefore it would be nice to have the option to watch it in my own language. Is that so much to ask? Also, some of us have dyslexia and it gets to be pretty eye straining at times to read the subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5