• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Dream Eater Merry Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Exactly, and not every series is gonna get dubbed.

Don't companies have a right to turn a profit?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
well i enjoy watching anime with other people and its hard for a group of people to watch a series when its subtitled.

Really?
That's the only way they air anime at Comic-Con every year unless they are only given a copy with the dub like Dead Leaves was.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Cool Sentai is getting a lot of new title bur its kind of sad that Funi not really getting any thing of lately

It's cool that Dream Eater Merry is licensed for DVD/BD release, and I would definitely get it on DVDs.

Funi's not getting as many anime this year is probably because they still have to dub many anime they've licensed last year (such as Shakugan no Shana 2 and its film, Railgun, Index, etc...).

The reason why Funimation isn't licensing anything new lately is because of two things: 1. They had a licensing binge back in February of last year and are backed up on dubs and pre Sojitz ADV title license rescues. And 2. They're tied up in a headache libel with thier parent company Narrave. Remember, Narrave annouced last October that they were offfering Funimation up for sale, so far they have yet to have found a pontenial buyer. Its almost as if Funimation is waiting for the paper trial to clear up to whether they'll wait for Narrave to decide if they want to keep the label or sell it to a new parent company.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
My mother tongue is English, therefore it would be nice to have the option to watch it in my own language. Is that so much to ask? Also, some of us have dyslexia and it gets to be pretty eye straining at times to read the subs.

Funny you should mention. My mother tongue is also English, yet I have no problem reading subs. Again, having English dub is a luxury considering Anime are cartoons imported from another country, who's native language is Japanese. As Megiddo stated, not all anime shows are going to get dubbed. Be thankful that a number of them do get dubbed as, if they wanted, they can choose to eliminate English dubs releases completely.

I'm just thankful to be able to have anime be brought over for R1 release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Show has been fun. Honestly though, why didn't FUNi go for this one rather than that god-awful Freezing? Laughing
Perhaps because TBS had decided to try to work out deals with Sentai, so it was not available?

Of course, since Section23 is willing to release either dub or sub, they can pick up series that Funimation have to stop and think about ... the pre-licensing Funimation decision, "does this look like a dub will work for it" is a post-licensing decision for Section23.

The real good news will be if TAN shortly announces a simulcast (IS:Stratos only took a day or two between Sentai announcing the license and TAN announcing the simulcast) ... that would mean after nearly two years without any TBS produced series simulcast, both of them would be streaming in this season.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
well i enjoy watching anime with other people and its hard for a group of people to watch a series when its subtitled.

In my (actually fairly extensive) experience, it's not hard in the least for groups of people to watch anime subtitled.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Exactly, and not every series is gonna get dubbed.

Don't companies have a right to turn a profit?

They could even charge $400 for it if they want to. Laughing
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

How come you guys are already whining about of lack of a dub? You have no right or any excuse to because: 1. The series is still new in Japan and has only been on the air for a month. 2. Theres no word on whether or not it will be dubbed. and 3. You do know that Sentai sub only releases are solicited 3 to 4 months after they are confirmed and a retail date is already set. There's no such set retail date, which means it probably will be dubbed.

Relax and be patient.

No one has whined (well except about hoping for a BD) Smile), all they've said is that they'd like to see it get a dub when it finally gets a physical release (and hopefully a blu-ray since it's made in HD and getting Japanese blu-rays). There hasn't even been much if any "no dub, no buy" yet only on the blu-ray vs dvd end.

Either may happen but it's still kind of crazy that people hoping for the old regular standard of dual-languages for their loved shows have become the target that gets lynched these days, it's not like they are asking for dub-only releases unlike those asking for sub-only releases praying for no-dub even though it doesn't save them any money and might even cost them more and with both tracks it serves the widest audience and has an even greater chance to bring in new fans just discovering anime.

Anyway, good to see Merry picked up! Hope we hear some preliminary details about the home video part of the release soon after it finishes airing so that at least we get some idea of what their plans are and perhaps which format or both they are planning Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Sparvid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Action fantasy about boy who can predict others' dreams, & girl from world of dreams

And bare midriffs. Don't forget about those.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
Quote:
Action fantasy about boy who can predict others' dreams, & girl from world of dreams

And bare midriffs. Don't forget about those.

And well detailed bare midriffs at that.
Jacut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
Hands down the best new anime of the season, courtesy to Shigeyasu Yamauchi. So, good pick Sentai !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
It's good to read about a new license announcement from Sentai, it's been a little awhile since we've had any.

Ummm.. Infinite Stratos. That was only a few weeks ago. Not to mention Sentai announces a new license almost every month in their solicitations.

Anyway, since they are announcing the show like this, I think it means we'll quite likely see a delayed simulcast on TAN. The show sounds interesting, so I will definitely be checking this out.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
i hope they dub it, I'm sick of these guys getting shows i like and doing sub only releases.

Seriously same here. I mean it's fine that they didn't Gintama (the manga is good enough.) but I really had wished they would at least considered to dub season two of Your Under Arrest. I mean if they are dubbing a series based off a video game, then surely they could have taken a chance with this YUA.

But oh well, I'm going to pass on this one. Much like most of Sental releases.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
And before the sub/dub debate goes any further, and before more people right this off because of the potential lack of a dub, how about we wait to find out what they are going to do with it?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
And before the sub/dub debate goes any further, and before more people right this off because of the potential lack of a dub, how about we wait to find out what they are going to do with it?
Amen. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5