• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A strong female character who is not an iron lady?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
Tamaki Kawazoe from Bamboo Blade fits the description rather well. Though she's small and quiet, she can stand up to the toughest male opponents in a kendo match. She possesses unmatched innate instincts that heighten her speed and reflexes and solidify her role as a protector. She also has absolute respect for the rules of kendo and will only attack outside of a dojo when provoked or to defend others.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Here's my entry:

I think Birdy from Birdy the Mighty: Decode is a good example. Though physically she's quite the iron lady (she's essentially indestructible), in terms of her character she's very strong but doesn't fit the 'iron lady' criteria you laid out.

I guess she's a bit closer to the second type, where she essentially has a tragic past and a miserable life, and maintains an optimism despite that, or rather even because of that. However, in the moment she can get down, usually not about the past but the present or future, and show some 'vulnerability.'

I'm not sure I'd really call it vulnerability though. It's more a consequence of the fact that she's sensitive (as in she's very in tune with what's going on). She differs from the 'iron lady' because this sensitivity makes her to 'hot' to be one, for example she's the type to get really really mad at the bad guys for their transgressions. It's personal to her, even if their crimes didn't affect her directly.

She sometimes flaunts conventions and blows off authority, but on other occasions she's even overly apologetic. In one scene that's particularly funny, she says that Irma, her employer on earth is a "wrinkly old hag", only to discover that Irma is right behind her. She then starts apologizing profusely and begging for Irma's forgiveness.

She also can take on a slightly wry tone, and likes to troll her enemies sometimes, which I think is pretty unique.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Agree, actually it is not just Riza & Maria but all the female characters in Fullmetal Alchemist. It's one of the many reasons it's my favorite action/adventure story.

Don't quite know about that, Maiden. According to Raftina's criterion, of the other prominent women in the franchise Izumi and Olivier would certainly be considered Iron Ladies, the crime committed against Rose would disqualify her on Raftina's trauma grounds, and as for Winry I get the sense that Raftina means adults and she's a few years younger than Raftina has in mind (although I could be wrong about that assumption).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I think that Marika Kato from Bodacious Space Pirates fits the criteria. She's strong-willed, intelligent, adapts well to new situations, and has a positive attitude.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Asuka Langley Shikinami from NGE and NME

She may seem like a spoiled little brat, but thats her "disguise" so to speak. I think she's an extremely well crafted and strong female lead, especially for the 90s anime when stuff like sailor moon was airing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
I tried to think of the series with the strongest female characters and I can think of is Fairy Tail, although Erza can probably be described as iron. She tends to be pretty uncompromising, but she does get pretty warm with her allies, although showing affection often involves pain from something metal. But then I think of Mirajane who is one of the kindest characters in the show, and incredibly strong.

Marika from Bodacious Space Pirates was great for how we see her develop into a strong character, and not have to turn into being cold or iron.

Then there is Nanoha Takamachi, from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, especially in StrikerS. I am not just talking about physical strength, which she has, but she sticks to her beliefs, pushes herself to try hard, and later becomes an instructor. It can look like she just gets things handed to her just by being nice, but there is note of her actually getting very hurt from pushing herself past boundaries, and can actually be rather tough despite being careing.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
One excellent heroine is Noriko from Gunbuster. She starts out unsure of herself, but becomes braver and more powerful as the series progresses.

Revolutionary Girl Utena has a lot of complex female characters, and Utena herself is amazing. She's brave and strong on one hand, but on the other hand she's still a naive teenager. And the character spoiler[Anthy] is WAY more than meets the eye. (She's even more awesome in the movie.)

There's also Gally/Alita from Battle Angel. She's tough and smart, but also sweet and emotionally sensitive.

Seconding Lafiel from Crest of the Stars, Maka from Soul Eater, and most of the Ghibli heroines.

Hikaru, Umi and Fuu of Magic Knight Rayearth are a great trio. None are Iron Ladies, but each is strong in their own way. And Sailor Moon has so much variety that you're bound to like at least one of its heroines.

Recently I watched Hellsing TV and Seras Victoria seems to fit your criteria. Integra's more of an Iron Lady though.

Almost done, I swear: Yomiko Readman from Read or Die, Tsukimi from Princess Jellyfish, Miyuki from Tokyo Godfathers, Key and Sakura from Key the Metal Idol, Makoto from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Mato from Black Rock Shooter.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
RapidEyeMovement wrote:
Almost done, I swear: Yomiko Readman from Read or Die, Tsukimi from Princess Jellyfish, Miyuki from Tokyo Godfathers, Key and Sakura from Key the Metal Idol, Makoto from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Mato from Black Rock Shooter.

Sakura from Key the Metal Idol I can buy, but Key? Really? I want to hear a justification on that one, as for most of the series Key is incapable of effectively functioning independently. In fact, she's essentially helpless when her powers aren't kicking in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
RapidEyeMovement wrote:

Sakura from Key the Metal Idol I can buy, but Key? Really? I want to hear a justification on that one, as for most of the series Key is incapable of effectively functioning independently. In fact, she's essentially helpless when her powers aren't kicking in.

Okay, maybe she's not a great example. Anime smile I was thinking of her behavior in the last few episodes.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw Haruka from Noein into the hat.

Though she is an elementary school girl, she is extremely independent and mature, to the point where the role reversal between her and her mother is the butt of a few jokes.

She is obviously not physically capable in many ways, and doesn't have more intelligence than an above average grade schooler, but she keeps a very cool head through all the danger she witnesses and experiences. She fills the role she has to play in the show very well, as the way she speaks and deals with extradimensional beings is compelling, and her perceptive nature only strengthens her character here.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Iron lady territory: In the beginning of the [first] episode [of Moribito], spoiler[a imperial procession passes by. The locals, by custom, bow as the procession passes. She refuses to do so, citing the fact that she owes them nothing.] This seems to be a gratuitous flaunting of conventions that may be a part of her character, but it does not appear to be necessary for strength.

I think by picking only the first half of that scene, you've misinterpreted its purpose. It isn't there to establish Balsa's strength in the sense of authority or will, but her personality. I'd say it's actually a prime example of why she isn't an iron lady, because the exact next thing to happen is that the procession falls off the bridge, nearly drowning the prince, whom Balsa rescues. While the rescue itself demonstrates Balsa's physical capabilities, the fact that she unhesitatingly moves to rescue nobility she owes no allegiance to without any interest in reward demonstrates her capability for compassion and empathy. If not for Balsa's refusal to bow to the procession, we might assume that her action was driven by some form of chivalrous duty rather than a more general respect of human life.

As for other examples of strong female characters:
Ohana from Hanasaku Iroha. Perhaps a little far along the Honda Tohru length of the scale for your liking, but your two categories of external vs internal strength makes little to no account for strength of personality (which both Ohana and Honda have in spades), nor self-sufficiency. You have essentially eliminated any character not placed into extraordinary circumstances by requiring they have notable form of power, whether than be physical strength, intelligence, or some kind of authority.
Ohana might also deserve a special note, as she contrasts directly to her grandmother, Sui, who is a most iron, iron lady.

I think I'd also submit Karura from Utawarerumono fits the criteria. Aside from her obvious physical strength, she demonstrates perceptiveness towards other characters' feelings, and hints of wisdom that she frequently holds back (partly to hide her true identity), and when the series does get to the arc that fills out her backstory, we see that she will humble herself when needed. To some degree, Urtori, Touka, and even Eruru also could be argued to qualify.

Sen Yarizui from Ben-to. Despite the show being a hybrid harem-comedy/high-school brawl-fest, and Sen's nickname being "The Ice Queen", she is not an iron lady. It's not even a matter of needing the male protagonist to get her to defrost, because the Ice Queen title actually has nothing to do with her personality (the series does get to its origin, and it's kind of a funny joke, so I'm not gonna spoil it here). Sen's just a little introverted, but gets along just fine with the other characters.

Doing a quick scan through my watched shows list, and I'm gonna be typing all night if I write out full entries for every one that brings to mind a character worthy of mention, some I'm gonna just write out a couple as potential launching points for discussion or for me to come back to:

The title characters of Allison & Lillia
Yuuko from Denno Coil. At least one of them. Maybe both.
Mink from Dragon Half. Especially in the manga, which is much longer and has an actual plot with genuine peril to the characters.
Ahmey from Tower of Druaga
Nadie from El Cazador de la Bruja. Surrender Artist mentioned already her, though not by name.
Rally Vincent from Gunsmith Cats. Possibly also "Minnie" May Hopkins and Becky Farrah.
Eclair and Lumiere from Kiddy Grade. Probably also Tweedledee.
Kurau and Christmas from Kurau: Phantom Memory. Ayaka starts off as an iron lady, but changes some.
Kyoka from Kyoran Kazoku Nikki

... that's enough for now, and only like halfway through skimming the list.
Arkov

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with yuna49 and Dorcas_Aurelia; Balsa is not an iron lady. In fact, when I first read the thread title, I was going to answer with 'Balsa'. You can't take so few specific moments and stipulate that those particular moments are what make the character. Throughout the entirety of the series, Balsa develops into a well-rounded (though not flawless) character; I'd go so far as to say that she's the perfect example of a strong female lead who is not an iron lady.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
My pick would be Sonoshee McLaren of Redline... A very determined woman who has a set goal in life and is up to achieving it. But she's still very much a lady at the same time who needs support and encouragement from others sometime.

If it weren't for Sonoshee McLaren, then Birdy Cephon Altera (from Birdy the Mighty: Decode) would be my pick - Birdy is basically Wonder Woman with a tragic back story. She very much cares for others which becomes a dilemma when things start going downhill and crisis arise. Birdy is the character who makes the show so great, a conflicted individual who wants to do what's right but also not harm others around her in the process.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Aw, you beat me to Shuurei and Nina. Smile

How about Kurau of Kurau Phantom Memory? She had weird stuff happen when she was a child, but I wouldn't call her childhood full of suffering and whatnot. But while she's superpowered, she still has a caring heart and an independent streak without being nasty about it. I just really love her.

Both of the insurance girls from Trigun are pretty strong main characters, albeit in different ways, and as far as I know, have no angsty pasts to overcome (I know Milly felt she had a wonderful childhood). Meryl is just so devoted to her duty she'll endure whatever life-threatening dangers they encounter following the Human Typhoon around, and Milly is devoted to supporting Meryl and making sure everyone is happy. In their own ways, neither one of them behaves other than true to themselves, and yet this does not make them inflexible. On the contrary, both are insanely adaptable to all situations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2