• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Lookin' for manga in all the right places

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
I also have this book, I also love it, and I also refer to it constantly. Although recently, I can't help but feel like it's a giant catalog of artists we'll never see in English.

Here's hoping, though. We've gotten a lot more in the past 6 years.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Manga Design too - the biographical data is pretty scant but it works perfectly well as a very diverse artbook and the stuff on the DVD is a very worthwhile bonus.
It's out of print now and I think used copies are starting to get more expensive but it's well worth picking up if you can find it for cover price or less.

One small correction to the article though:

Quote:
None of Naoki Urasawa's manga was available in English in 2004

Viz released the first volume of Pineapple Army in the early 1990s.

Last edited by Moomintroll on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
This sounds like it would be a very useful book to have. Pretty much every Japanese manga I own has also been printed in English, and I'd like to branch out and find some titles that haven't been translated.
A couple weeks ago, I found out that there's a Book Off in Vancouver, and spent about 3 or 4 hours in there over the course of two days. Even being in a Japanese book store though, I found it difficult to find anything that wasn't already available in English. My reading skills are still that of a pre-schooler, so scanning the spines of the books was difficult.
That being said, I did still come out with a pretty big haul, but most of it was stuff that I was going to replace my English volumes with.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Viz released the first volume of Pineapple Army in the early 1990s.

Wow - you're right. Thanks for pointing that out - I don't know how I missed that in my research. I stand corrected.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This general pattern is repeated throughout with little variation, although the top manga creators like Osamu Tezuka and Fujiko Fujio.

Hmm, I'm not sure what happened here. I meant to say that the bigger creators like Tezuka got an extra spread in the book. (So they have 6 pages instead of 4.)
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
No Kinokuniya or Book-Off exists in Atlanta AFAIK, but the Tomato off Peachtree Industrial Blvd. does have a healthy line of shelves of used, untranslated manga. It's how I secured a great deal of Urusei Yatsura for $2 a tankubon before it goes out of print in September.

Thanks for the recommendation, Brian. I'll need to pick this book up.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I live within driving distance of 3 Book-Off stores and 2 Kinokuniya stores. Anime hyper Hooray for Southern California!

Manga Design got me into a world of trouble when I took a translation class that required it. To anyone who's interested in buying it, I warn that it has some pretty explicit hentai/shota imagery in it. My mom just happened to flip it open at exactly the wrong spot ...and let's just say I had some 'splaining to do. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1