• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
How far you're into the visual novel? It's not until UBW that you have a full grasp of his reasoning and he's definitely not the "people die if they are killed" and "girls shouldn't fight, period" guy people judge him as after watching the anime.

I know that's an incomplete impression, yeah. Still playing Fate at the moment. I meant more his obliviousness to Sakura's thing for him and other typical dense MC stuff.

Oh, and the order you had it listed in is right: NGE with the Director's Cut episodes, EoE (you can skip D&R if you like, it's basically an unusually good 72 minute recap episode) and then Rebuild.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
It's a shame because after watching Fate/Zero it sucks to hear Stay Night does not come close to matching it's awesomeness.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I saw the anime a while ago and haven't finished the visual novel, but I think Theron is overstating the prevalence of the eroge elements in the visual novel itself. There are sex scenes (apparently hilarious; I'm looking forward to finding out), but the whole game is not filled with sleazy fanservice that's been removed for the anime adaptation.

Wasn't trying to give that impression, so my apologies if it came off that way. The anime version does completely remove any hint of sex scenes, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
well, except for the CGI dragon, but that's probably part 2
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
I never liked this anime. If it had set out to adapt ONLY the Fate path from the original visual novel like it looked like it was going to early on.(It's spot on for the most part until I think around the 10th epi but I could be wrong I haven't seen it in awhile) Instead it throws way to much junk together and then making the ending lose most if not all of it's impact because of the things that happen prior. It throws bits and pieces of all three paths from the visual novel into a messy 10 episode or so chunk that doesn't work(even throws in a little original stuff that complicates things more).

Because of that I really didn't like it. It's funny because I had seen the first half of the show when it was being released here in singles from Geneon and liked what I saw. Fast forward a few years and I played the original visual novel and was blown away. I finally went back and finished up the anime and was kinda sad I did cause the game just did a much better job(despite being pretty dated by VN standards) A friend of mine asked me the best to way do the Fate series and I told him to watch Fate/Zero and then go and play the VN.

I really do hope we get a Ufotable adaption of Heaven's Feel which is personally my favorite of the 3 paths from the VN and given how well they did on Fate/Zero and Kara No Kyoukai(which thematically is very close to Heaven's Feel) I think they could knock it out of the park.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
...Fatally injured but saved by a fellow student who is secretly a Magus...

Although the show suggests otherwise at that point, Rin doesn't have the ability to resuscitate people at death's door. Shirou revives because he has spoiler[Avalon within his body]. That last factor is central to his survivability, the reason why he unwittingly summons Sabre, and the instrument that he and Sabre use to deal with spoiler[Gilgamesh] later in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wasn't trying to give that impression, so my apologies if it came off that way. The anime version does completely remove any hint of sex scenes, though.

That's definitely true.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played the VN, but reading up on all of it, I pretty much got the gist of it. Sakura seems to always get the short end of the stick when it comes to these Fate anime series. I just loved how they played with that all the time in Carnival Phantasm.

fingers crossed...Carnival Phantasm will be here someday...someday...
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Although the show suggests otherwise at that point, Rin doesn't have the ability to resuscitate people at death's door. Shirou revives because he has spoiler[Avalon within his body]. That last factor is central to his survivability, the reason why he unwittingly summons Sabre, and the instrument that he and Sabre use to deal with spoiler[Gilgamesh] later in the series.

Oh, I'm fully aware of that, but there's no way that anyone new to the franchise could figure that out at that point. Remember, this review is about the first half of the anime only, not the game or the entirety.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

Actually, he does not. He has spoiler[the scabbard of Excalibur in his body], not spoiler[Avalon]. That's how I remember it, anyway.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
errinundra wrote:

Actually, he does not. He has spoiler[the scabbard of Excalibur in his body], not spoiler[Avalon]. That's how I remember it, anyway.

In Fate, spoiler[Avalon] is the name of spoiler[Excalibur's scabbard]
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Even after watching Fate/ZERO, Shirou's attitude and actions are still incredibly grating. I don't care if his heart is in the right place, he's a sexist moron, trying to put warped ideals above the stark reality of his (and Saber's) situation.

It may not make sense in the beginning why he is like that but there is a reason why his character is like that.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
In Fate, spoiler[Avalon] is the name of spoiler[Excalibur's scabbard]

Well, I'll be... so it is. My bad. I had always thought it was a completely seperate spoiler[weapon]. I guess I must've conflated my FSN lore with my spoiler[Arthurian] lore. Razz
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
errinundra wrote:

Oh, I'm fully aware of that, but there's no way that anyone new to the franchise could figure that out at that point. Remember, this review is about the first half of the anime only, not the game or the entirety.

No that's all Rin's doing. spoiler[Avalon doesn't become active until Saber is summoned and a connection with her established.] Rin specifically says that she's repairing damage to Shirou's heart. So it's exactly what is says on the tin.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Key wrote:
errinundra wrote:

No that's all Rin's doing. spoiler[Avalon doesn't become active until Saber is summoned and a connection with her established.] Rin specifically says that she's repairing damage to Shirou's heart. So it's exactly what is says on the tin.

And IIRC, she had to use the entirety of her most powerful jewel in order to accomplish it. A jewel she leaves on the scene and which Shirou recovers...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4