• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Moe is the Key

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:
Now If Jast Usa Or Manga Gamer would get the Visual Novels for these series licensed i'd be happy as hell.

They tried. However, the licensing fees Key asked for are simply highway robbery.

I'm well aware of this to.. I think asking $100,000 plus to license a visual novel "this is per vn" is a tad much. Then comes fees for the music and voice actors licensing as well, we would need a kick starter to get it off the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:
Now If Jast Usa Or Manga Gamer would get the Visual Novels for these series licensed i'd be happy as hell.

They tried. However, the licensing fees Key asked for are simply highway robbery.

Why would they bother? Anyone who wants to play them already has.

Though, if they did release a nice english translation with good packaging I would pre order in an instant.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
My two cents, for whatever they're worth.

I can't recall who said it (so sorry), but I remember: "Here's a box of puppies being kicked. Now cry."

As harsh as the statement is, pretty much spot on. Come to think of it, I think Zac said it because he contributed the notion there's a difference between this type of story telling and one with substance, or context. Hell, I've slept since then.

Oddly enough, as I was watching Kanon again, I couldn't help but think of this line and sure enough, that's pretty much what all three of these stories do.

But despite that, I still enjoy two of the three (screw you, Air). Kanon remains my favorite because I think the visual art in it is pretty good. I especially love the orange overcast of the sun setting and how the next scene can show off a vibrant blue sky over a landscape covered in snow.

Plus, Ayu grew on me, even with her "Uguu". It's an in-your-face cuteness that's pretty impossible to ignore. The Mikoto story arc blows chunks (I often skip it), but the rest is pretty solid.

Screw you, Air.

Clannad and its sequel, interestingly enough, gets far too much criticism over its ending. I often ask (with my inner voice), "Did this person really not see this ending coming considering the Fuko arc?".

The pacing of Clannad is very appreciated. It's slow and methodical, even if it does start to throw us boxes of puppies every now and then. The friendships in the series seem to be closer than any of the others in the trio, and this helps with the appreciation.

One of these days, I'll have to get this series on bluray.

Needless to say, a few years ago, I would have screamed "Never go away, moe!", but now, I think my patience for it has finally crept itself closer to the "Please. Please. Stop. This is tantamount to emotional abuse" limit. I'll still check out a few series that capture my attention, but it's not surprising to me I'm doing more re-watching of my collection than watching anything new.

Of course, I still need to watch Little Busters. Having bought enough Kudryavka figures, I practically financed the thing.

With a little help of some of you readers, of course. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ya guys are a soap opera. Laughing
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
grooven wrote:
While I can understand why people aren't a fan of Hinoue Itaru's style, I personally really do love her art. It is distinctive and unique. But the bashing is just to get reactions is a bit of an over kill. Kind of sad that people won't watch something because of the designs, when the animation is beautiful. I personally do not like Madoka's art style at all. But I still watched the show despite that. I guess everyone is different.

We're not bashing to get replies. We're stating our dislike for her style.

This is not the "Obsequiously heap praise onto Hinoue" topic, it's a topic over key and we can say what we want about her style. Grow some thicker skin.
Wasn't disputing that. I was mentioning how it feels like I'm reading a 16 year old trying to do an art critique is all.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad review, and fairly close to my feelings on the three shows.

That said, I tend to favor Clannad/AS over Kanon, but only be the smallest of margins. I am a fan of the Clannad After Story ending and never felt it was overly contrived. It finally makes sense of the whole "girl in another world" bit that is one of the early ties between Tomoya and Nagisa. There are some aspects of the gut-wrenching path the story takes to get there that are less than stellar, but it is massively effective, despite the overt emotional manipulation.

Where Clannad/AS falls short for me is a few of the sub-arcs, the one about Okazaki and his little sister being the biggest offender. If you cut out a couple of the side-stories and created a series that just featured the main couple's path to being a family, it would make a fantastic series.

Kanon has grown on me with time, partially because of the shorter length and lack of extraneous story lines that I find annoying. I pretty much enjoyed each arc and found that they all tied together nicely.

However, both of the shows suffer from the "mysterious illness" bug, which is a plot contrivance I am progressively growing to dislike more and more. Perhaps that is because I have one of those poorly understood conditions that doctors don't know what to do with and find using that type of thing as a plot device, usually ending with a mysterious recovery, to be just annoying. (Of course, having it end in death, while more realistic, is just depressing!) At least with Kanon it is not the main character who is the "sick girl", and Nagisa has other strong points that counterbalance the sick girl moe.
Stratum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I can't recall who said it (so sorry), but I remember: "Here's a box of puppies being kicked. Now cry."

As harsh as the statement is, pretty much spot on. Come to think of it, I think Zac said it because he contributed the notion there's a difference between this type of story telling and one with substance, or context. Hell, I've slept since then.

Oddly enough, as I was watching Kanon again, I couldn't help but think of this line and sure enough, that's pretty much what all three of these stories do.

The only times I might consider the that puppy line is for spoiler[Saiyuri's brother Kazuya] in Kanon and spoiler[Tomoyo's brother] in Clannad because there really is nothing to them beyond explaining spoiler[Saiyuri's fake laugh and implied suicide attempt and being Tomoyo's motivation]. As far as the main cast goes I felt that there was enough going for them beyond the cute aspect to fit that analogy, but that's just me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Screw you, Air.

I laugh that I very rarely find people who can articulate their displeasure with Air other than them not being able to follow the rather simple story (such as why and how Yukito becomes Sora) or complaining about the character design.
Stratum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Screw you, Air.

I laugh that I very rarely find people who can articulate their displeasure with Air other than them not being able to follow the rather simple story (such as why and how Yukito becomes Sora) or complaining about the character design.

The only other problem I can think of was about how the two kids on the beach at the end wasn't explained. I heard that they're supposed to be spoiler[the next Kanna and Ryuya] but aside from my crazy fan theories, I don't know how they spoiler[exist simultaneously with Misuzu and Yukito.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
But that's extremely common for something like that not to be explained. You want the audience to use their brains and try and figure something out instead of simply feeding everything on a plate. Still, there is definitely enough to show that they are most like the next reincarnations of Kanna and Ryuuya (now able to play together and to find out what is beyond the shore).
Stratum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But that's extremely common for something like that not to be explained. You want the audience to use their brains and try and figure something out instead of simply feeding everything on a plate. Still, there is definitely enough to show that they are most like the next reincarnations of Kanna and Ryuuya (now able to play together and to find out what is beyond the shore).

Sure, figuring it out is half the fun, but would help to drop at least a couple of hints as to how the whole process works(assuming I didn't miss anything). Although I love coming up with my own theories, and I'm pretty happy with my current one, it can still be a problem for some people.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote
Well, from one little bit of reincarnation I have picked up in terms of the universe Air takes place in is that it is entirely possible for multiple reincarnations to exist at the same time. For instance, you will notice if you rewatch Air TV that Sora is with Misuzu from the first time we see her interact with Yukito. How is that possible if both are reincarnations of Ryuuya? Honestly, I don't pretend to know how but I do know within the concepts of reincarnation in Air it is entirely possible. Another example is that Kanna is still in the sky, cursed, but not dead. And yet she has had many reincarnations who shared her curse as well.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Screw you, Air.

Megiddo wrote:
But that's extremely common for something like that not to be explained. You want the audience to use their brains and try and figure something out instead of simply feeding everything on a plate.

Heh.

Can't wait to see how you use your brain to determine the reasoning behind my statement of opinion.

Can't promise I won't laugh, but do your best, okay!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
Oh not at all, if you cannot bother to articulate your problems with the series, then I just won't pay any mind. I'm always looking for more people to discuss the show with, its pluses and minuses. But if you can't do that then there is no point since it's not a discussion.
Stratum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Well, from one little bit of reincarnation I have picked up in terms of the universe Air takes place in is that it is entirely possible for multiple reincarnations to exist at the same time. For instance, you will notice if you rewatch Air TV that Sora is with Misuzu from the first time we see her interact with Yukito. How is that possible if both are reincarnations of Ryuuya? Honestly, I don't pretend to know how but I do know within the concepts of reincarnation in Air it is entirely possible. Another example is that Kanna is still in the sky, cursed, but not dead. And yet she has had many reincarnations who shared her curse as well.

The multiple reincarnations thing was the starting point to my theory in that Kanna bonds pieces of her soul to human souls, which I then used to explain the spoiler[two Michirus], and also elaborate on spoiler[Kano's possible connection to Kanna]. I just can't find enough clues to have any confidence in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11