• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Maid to Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh man I need those shelves, just the shelves mind you, KoH can keep what's on them (and I sympathize with the height, I have some that go to the ceiling in my room so they're 8-9 feet tall and I'm barely over 5ft, I've gotta pull out the step-ladder and pile some of my thicker books on it if I want to reach the top shelves).

Weirdly enough I've actually seen all three shows on Shelf Life this week and agree with most of what Bamboo said (well, that part's not weird but in any case); TowaNoQuon had weird pacing issues (which I feel like might have been resolved if it had been a tv series instead of a movie series), I saw some of Maid-Sama and then read the manga instead but had to give up because, like you said, there's just barely any character development going on, and Shangri-La ended up being a mess by the end (the whole "things are happening quickly yet not being explained" is spot on, I think this must just've been a week of weirdly paced shows).
Tochiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Really really impressive shelves! It's always nice to see a collection displayed properly. Am utterly jealous that you have the room to do so. Hope you dont get earthquakes every other week like we do here in Japan though. Otherwise you would probably be picking most of those discs up off the floor once or twice a month ^^;
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Hell yea my shelves got posted! Thank you for the kind words, everyone! It really means a lot since I take great pride in my collection.

sonryu wrote:
And that's why man created step-stools and ladders

Yea, I got nice and light step stool I keep. It's only a foot off the ground, but it's just enough of a boost to get the job done.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Is that a Time of Eve Boxset?!

Yes! Imported straight from the motherland herself early last year for about $65. Nowadays, though, you can get a copy here for only $50.

ailblentyn wrote:
Nice to see the King of Harts' beautifully displayed and pretty-box-studded collection but... where's Babbit?

I didn't even think about trying to get him in the picture. You can get a glimpse of his feet in the top left corner of this picture.

Covnam wrote:
Also, are those dvd covers around your windows?
Btw nice to see someone else with the Saber Marionette J boxset...

I have several types of things up there. Cut up spacer boxes (like you get with limited editions to keep things in place), slip covers (or O-rings), disc inserts, post cards, the cards you get with TRSI orders, and other various posters and extras. I have a crap ton more to put up, but I didn't feel like doing it before I took the picture. I may even have to start using my ceiling.

As for Saber Marionette J, I grabbed that a few years back for $26. Box number 4454, baby! I originally had the AL set for just the first season, but I liked it enough to get the rest and decided to just get the Ultimate box. Although, I still haven't tried Again or J to X since I'm a bit turned off by how Bandai never used the same dub studio for the franchise.

Myaow wrote:
The shelves especially cordoned off to Panty and Stocking are especially cool.

Like I said, I love me some PSG! I have matching Panty and Scanty figures coming in May (I hope) and I plan on eventually getting the RIO Bones as well. It's a bit ambitions (and expensive), but I want the best PSG figure collection possible. That's why it has it's own little shelf: I plan on filling it up with lots of figures!

Quote:
Hope you don't get earthquakes every other week like we do here in Japan though.

I'm in Virginia. Outside of one flooky one a couple years back, we don't get any earthquakes, thank goodness. Although, I'm now curious about how Japanese otaku deal with earthquakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, I am jealous of those shelving units! I wish I could just build from the floor to the ceiling and line it with anime and manga. And then be able to display the biggest side of every box to my heart's content. I would probably dedicate an entire shelf to Gurren Lagann myself, lol, and then nothing would be double shelved either, it would be glorious! Someday...
I also notice that you have a lot of yet to be filled shelves, very wise.... might as well just go all out if you know it'll be filled someday, right?
JuniorMintKiss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Maid Sama has a place on my shelf and it's not going to disappear any time soon. I found it very appealing after watching some stagnant titles and Usui made me laugh out loud on almost every episode. I had to keep rewinding the parts where Usui spoiler[buzzes like a locust everytime he stares at Misaki.]

My discs came in separate standard cases, so I'm glad I was spared all that bulkiness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I read some of Maid-Sama, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with Usui. I hate shojo that introduces a strong, smart female protagonist just to have an overprotective/obsessive/jerky pretty boy love interest bring her down in the name of "romance" (see also: Hana Yori Dango). If his character improves as the manga goes along, I'm glad. It's too bad anime usually has to be produced before the source material is complete.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Yeah, I knew Maid Sama was a cool shojo romance going into it... Which made the cover art choices even more baffling to me. I guess they were trying to trick the fanservice guys into buying a girls' show?

Same here. I fell in love with it thanks to the manga, and though I'm sad the anime doesn't really cover the major character-building moments found in later parts, what it showed was fun and true to the series.

Now if only someone could license-rescue the manga, I could complete my collection.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Also, are those dvd covers around your windows?
Btw nice to see someone else with the Saber Marionette J boxset...

I have several types of things up there. Cut up spacer boxes (like you get with limited editions to keep things in place), slip covers (or O-rings), disc inserts, post cards, the cards you get with TRSI orders, and other various posters and extras. I have a crap ton more to put up, but I didn't feel like doing it before I took the picture. I may even have to start using my ceiling.

As for Saber Marionette J, I grabbed that a few years back for $26. Box number 4454, baby! I originally had the AL set for just the first season, but I liked it enough to get the rest and decided to just get the Ultimate box. Although, I still haven't tried Again or J to X since I'm a bit turned off by how Bandai never used the same dub studio for the franchise.

Ah, that's a good use for those things. I just have a pile of those cards from TRSI off to the side and those spacers packed away.
I wish I had waited to get the box set, I've got #489 which is nice, but I much rather have saved $50-$100... The original series J was definitely the best of the 3. You're not missing much by skipping the two follow-ups, but if you already have 'em...
I do recommend picking up R though, it wasn't released by Bandai, so it should still be available. It's a different (darker) tone and style from J though just to give you a heads up.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Man, that's some Shelf Obsessed display of.... being economically privileged? XP I kid, I kid... honestly, it's pretty cool to see such a display of anime from The King of Harts. You've definitely earned your 'Collector Extraordinaire' status-- can't touch that collection myself! (But then again, of the comparatively few anime DVDs/BDs and box sets I own, there are still some releases I haven't given myself the time to see!)

I guess I do wonder sometimes, though, where the money for all this comes from or where you get the time to even collect and manage all this, given that collectors like you might be a college student (such as myself). It could be a matter of differing financial situations; it could also be just how we appropriate our own money, where my percentage of anime-related purchases isn't as high as yours. Anyway, it really isn't my business-- just wanted to get that out there.

Innocent, curious question though-- I presume that you got two of each of the "limited edition" sets for Madoka Magica? I see that you have each of the 12 episode end cards represented.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoPhoenixTE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
Just gotta comment on one thing on the shelves: Anyone who has a fscking Dragonzord on their shelf wins in my book! Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

I guess I do wonder sometimes, though, where the money for all this comes from or where you get the time to even collect and manage all this, given that collectors like you might be a college student (such as myself). It could be a matter of differing financial situations; it could also be just how we appropriate our own money, where my percentage of anime-related purchases isn't as high as yours. Anyway, it really isn't my business-- just wanted to get that out there.

I always wonder about this too. The average age for ANN users is around 20-30 right? How do you people afford all this? I'm always left at awe.

Oh, well, I'm seriously envious of all that space. Even if I had the money to buy all that stuff, I wouldn't have any room to store it [typing from a cramped bedroom, sharing with little sister. 4 square meters, at most]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
As other people have mentioned, it's the addition, the really too late addition considering he's the other love interest, of childhood friend Shintani to Maid-Sama that made the show okay. I liked the styling of the manga born drawn humor and as for characters, there's Misaki and her deadpan sister Suzuna but everyone else {including Usui} is just dead weight.

What makes Shintani so compelling is that he's the exact opposite of Usui's bland perfection. Shintani's dumb but hardworking, loyal but still a dork. And he is awesome. His re-introduction to Misaki is worth a viewing if only to remind the viewer "yes, this is what the losers in shoujo mangas act like."

It's no surprise that the original manga was created by a man.

The series would have been greatly benefitted with his introduction around episode ... 8, let's say.

Towa no Quon? All I remember about that show is 1) I never saw episode 6 and 2) There was something I really hated about it concerning the plant monster episode but I forgot what it was.

Quote:

because I never felt like I was in the right mood to watch a show about a girl with a boomerang

Wait, I love "girls with boomerangs" shows. I think...
I'm not even sure if this show's in my online listing, I know I've heard of it.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
I loved Maid-Sama, but I definitely agree with what Bamboo said about the dvd cover. The picture on the back of the complete collection sounds like the same one that's on the cover of the Part 2 set. If you saw that in the store, you'd definitely think that it's a pervy maid anime.

Those shelves are amazing. King of Harts, I'm jealous. Wish that I had the room to display my Utena box sets like that.
And how does that magical girl Arcueid figure look by the way? I've been contemplating buying that one for quite some time now...
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
aaron, is that k-on! on DVD, nooooo....!
and did just finish building the puella magica shelf, lol
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I didn't even think about trying to get him in the picture. You can get a glimpse of his feet in the top left corner of this picture
Now I see that little tootsie...
Seriously, it's a very pretty display.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4