• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Myers-Briggs Types (All Users)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Myers-Briggs Type Are You?
ISTJ
14%
 14%  [ 13 ]
ISFJ
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
INFJ
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
INTJ
29%
 29%  [ 26 ]
ISTP
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
ISFP
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
INFP
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
INTP
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
ESTP
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
ESFP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ENFP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ENTP
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
ESTJ
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
ESFJ
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
ENFJ
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
ENTJ
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 87

Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
A Subscribers-only one of these polls was started in the Subscribers Section of the forum by Surrender Artist. It's been pretty popular, so I've decided to create one for all users of the forum.

Currently, ISTJ ಠ_ಠ and INTJ are the most popular for the Subscribers poll. I'm curious to see if this will continue to ring true.

For those who don't know their type or wish to reassess it, there are quite a few Myers-Briggs tests on the internet. This is the one that we have been using: this one. There is also this much more simpler version.

You can also just look at these brief descriptions from the Myers & Briggs Foundation website and make a decision from them.

----

My Results:

ISFP

Introvert(56%), Sensing(25%), Feeling(38%), Perceiving(22%)
  • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
  • You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (25%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
  • You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll also note that ISTJ/ESTJ tend to be the biggest perverts.

Quote:
mix work and play

rofl can't let my future employers know that.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
My type:

ENFJ

Extravert (33%), Intuitive (25%), Intuitive Feeling (38%), Judging (56%)

•You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (33%)
•You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
•You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
•You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)

On the line, just as I was with the Wagner Preference test I took in Psych 101 (I'm just slightly, at a 7/5 ratio, more of a left brain thinker, but not enough to actually say I am). I enjoy the quiet, however I'm not as introverted as that may make me seem. I come from a family of people that are great with their sixth senses. I'm more of a subjective thinker, therefore I try to make a concerted effort to be as objective as possible during at least some of the time. I judge very quickly, again with the sixth sense. (I do believe in stereotypes, because there are REASONS why they exist.) I tend to be right with my gut feeling (I can't remember the last time I was wrong when guided by it.) a lot of the time, to the point where I've gone successfully against well thought out, educated guesses. For example, when filling a bowl with leftover food, my eyes see which bowls I have that I could use and my gut is what tells me is the one that will fit the food just perfectly when it may look too small right off. I think I've only been wrong on that... Once? (I can only remember one time involving some fried rice dish, but that's it.) Another example would be me pegging Carrie Underwood as the winner of American Idol in season five, all the way from the episode that featured her audition. (And I was twelve at the time, mind you.)
mlisette23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
My type is INFJ (also known as Counselor or Protector).

Here's some things that I've learned about this personality type that rings true for me:
    Seek to understand the patterns underlying his/her observations
    Have an exceptionally strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others
    they prefer to work intensely with those close to them, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes with their families, friends, and colleagues
    They are highly private people, with an unusually rich inner life, and tend not to share their reactions except with those they trust.
    Teaching and ministry hold attraction, although they must become expressive and outgoing in both professions, which for them requires a great deal of energy.
    More suited to them is the general practice of medicine, or psychological counseling.
    The most vulnerable of all types to the eruption of their own repressed material
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I recently had a training session on Myers-Briggs types, which prompted the poll that lead to this.

After some soul-searching and retesting, my type seems aptly described as follows:

INFJ

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (25%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

It's not a perfect match, but by the nature of these generalized tests, it can't be. That said, it does capture a lot about me quite accurately, in particular:

Quote:
Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others.

Always trying to suss significance and interconnections among things and causes for actions are a big part of how I interact with the world.

The documentation that I got from the training describes my type as, "An Aspiring Leader and Follower." It also points to a few points about the type's 'learning and communication style' that fit me very well.

Quote:
-Many more important issues and concerns are processed internally than in interaction with other members of the group.

-Many things go unshared because they are considered obvious, irrelevant or not ready for public view.

-Likes personal reflection about ideas and conceptual frameworks and enjoys working alone.

Those are very accurate. My thinking tends to be very tightly internal and takes a long time to brew. I often go to great lengths to give others the benefit of the doubt and to avoid condescending to them, even at my own expense. (This gets me in trouble on the internet, because people on the internet tend to be huge jackasses) I often won't say anything until my thoughts are 'just right', which means that I never get to contribute because the chattering classes have moved on by the time I'm read. (And even when I do get my thoughts out, sometimes I've made too big a batch for my own good)

And it includes another thing that's very true of me regarding the type's approach to problem solving and stress:

Quote:
Details, specifics, interpersonal conflict and excessive sensory input (noise, bright colors, smells and even temperature fluctuations) can seriously distract and stress this type.

I'm not that averse to details and specifics, although I do tend to look more toward the deeper, underlying patterns or causes, but I don't react well to interpersonal strife or a clamorous, unstable atmosphere. If you put me at a crowded table in a large restaurant, I will not be at my best, to say the least. (That has happened; a friend of mine actually apologized for it afterward)

It's an interesting challenge to try to assess the types of others. I can at least boast of having guessed that my mother was an ISFJ, which was indeed her result after she took the test. (I think that my father is an ENFP and my brother an ESTP, my typological polar opposite, but I haven't gotten them to take the survey)

For some fun with this, consult The Celebrity Types website. (It's an obvious dubious enterprise unless they have a time machine and are using it to make Socrates complete the MBTI survey instrument, but it's fun and might be closer than you'd expect to the truth)

My romantic best fit is supposed to be an ENTP or ENFP. Any extroverted, intuitive thinking or feeling perceiver ladies out there? Meerrrrrrrrrowww! I almost wish I were gay, because Stephen Fry is an ENTP. (So are Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Louis CK and Sarah Silverman... must be the witty type)

Among my renowned typological fellows are Plato, Thomas Jefferson, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Leonard Cohen, Edward Norton, Kofi Annan, Leon Trostksy... Robert Mugabe... Ayatollah Khomeini and... Osama bin Laden and Hitler!?!

Well, if you're ever arguing with me and want to just end things, I have a built-in Godwin switch, because in this sense, I really am just like Hitler.

mlisette23 wrote:
My type is INFJ (also known as Counselor or Protector).

Hey, another one! We're supposed to be the rarest type, especially among men (I purportedly have my type in common only with half a percent of my sex), but there were at least three on the subscriber forum and I expect that the population distribution here will be pretty skewed. For this brief moment, with merely seven responses, we are leading the poll.

willag wrote:
A Subscribers-only one of these polls was started in the Subscribers Section of the forum by Surrender Artist. It's been pretty popular, so I've decided to create one for all users of the forum.

Ahhh, good and faithful willag, I was hoping that somebody would do this. Very satisfactory. (Isn't filling in sixteen poll options, many of which vary by only one letter, fun?)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Ha. Haha. So I actually just took the Myers-Briggs test for my university's career counseling center, and I got a INTJ (slight-to-moderate in all of them) (and that's what I voted here, obviously). But I just took that online test and these were my results:

ESTJ
Extravert(1%) Sensing(1%) Thinking(12%) Judging(78%)
You have marginal or no preference of Extraversion over Introversion (1%)
You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)

So I guess I'm not much of either an extrovert or an introvert, nor do I favor sensing over intuition. But yes, I will judge you. Laughing

...it's times like these when I wished that these tests would have results geared towards the middle-hitting crowd as well.

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Hrm, I haven't done one of these in a few years. Seems like every time I take a test like this, depending on my mood or events between surveys, I think I fluctuate a bit between Intuition and Sensing, but the other three are consistent in leaning, if not in percentages.

INTJ
Introvert(78%) Intuitive(12%) Thinking(38%) Judging(67%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

Apparently we're a rarity at large (but maybe not on ANN)?

Whatever, I'm going back to my cave. :D
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
INTJ

Introvert(67%) iNtuitive(50%) Thinking(25%) Judging(11%)

You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
ISTJ
Introvert(56%) Sensing(38%) Thinking(50%) Judging(22%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (38%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

When I do these tests I always find myself analyzing if the answers I give are who I am or who I want to be, so I don't trust the results very much. Tomorrow this might turn out considerably differently.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
INTP

On the previous test I took I came out as INTJ, but I think I'm actually borderline INTP. The simple test that willag linked to supports my leaning more towards the INTP side. I love to procrastinate and I love variety and multitasking in my work. But at the same time I'm very cognizant of the importance to stay ahead of schedule and keep organized. As a more idealized me I'd be an INTJ through and through, but I'll always be the quirky, clueless INTP at heart. So I answered INTP instead (which is a very INTP-like thing to do Razz).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
For many years since my college days I scored as an INFP, but in the last decade I've been edging more towards INFJ. This is the first time that I've scored on the test as an INFJ. My Feeling score used to be much higher and my Perceiving was slightly preferred over Judging. I guess I must be turning into a crotchety old man who doesn't want a lot of stress from you young whippersnappers. Laughing

INFJ
Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(38%) iNtuitive Feeling(12%) Judging(44%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

Surrender Artist wrote:
For some fun with this, consult The Celebrity Types website. (It's an obvious dubious enterprise unless they have a time machine and are using it to make Socrates complete the MBTI survey instrument, but it's fun and might be closer than you'd expect to the truth)

OMG, I shifted from John Kerry(INFP) to Ron Paul(INFJ) and from St. Augustine to Hitler, NOOOOO!!!

Last edited by One-Eye on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Since at the moment the number of replies in the Community Forum poll and this one match, I think that a simple comparison would be in order.

At the moment, the results fall out along these lines:

23 (I)ntroverted vs. 2 (E)xtraverted
15 I(N)tuitive vs. 10 (S)ensing
16 (T)hinking vs. 9 (F)eeling
21 (J)udging vs. 4 (P)erceiving

The 'archetypical' respondent, found by combining the most popular letter in each pair, is an INTJ.

The subscriber forum number will be given first and the number here at the time of this writing second.

ISTJ: 6 (24%) vs. 7 (28%)
ISFJ: 1 (4%) vs. 2 (8%)
INFJ: 3 (12%) vs. 4 (16%)
INTJ: 5 (20%) vs. 6 (24%)
ISTP: 1 (4%) vs. 0 (0%)
ISFP: 1 (4%) vs. 1 (4%)
INFP: 0 (0%) vs. 0 (0%)
INTP: 3 (12%) vs. 3 (12%)
ESTP: 1 (4%) vs. 0 (0%)
ESFP: 0 (0%) vs. 0 (0%)
ENFP: 0 (0%) vs. 0 (0%)
ENTP: 1 (4%) vs. 0 (0%)
ESTJ: 1 (4%) vs. 0 (0%)
ESFJ: 0 (0%) vs. 0 (0%)
ENFJ: 2 (8%) vs. 2 (8%)
ENTJ: 0 (0%) vs. 0 (0%)

willag wrote:
Currently, ISTJ ಠ_ಠ and INTJ are the most popular for the Subscribers poll. I'm curious to see if this will continue to ring true.

At this point the answer would seem to be: Yes, but moreso.

So far, the general population seems more introverted than the gated community, although we don't exactly have the best figures for comparison.

jl07045 wrote:
When I do these tests I always find myself analyzing if the answers I give are who I am or who I want to be, so I don't trust the results very much. Tomorrow this might turn out considerably differently.

I was told that because these tests try to find preferences, we should answer as we would in an ideal world.

I was also told that the test wasn't well suited to those with mental health problems, so anybody who has a diagnosed disorder should probably be a little wary of the whole enterprise.

One-Eye wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

OMG, I shifted from John Kerry to Ron Paul and from St. Augustine to Hitler, NOOOOO!!!

Yeah, and "Mystery"; why he's not in a scary black box, I can't say.
warden13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ISTJ
Introvert(100%) Sensing(25%) Thinking(88%) Judging(33%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (25%)
You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (88%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

100% introverted? Time to find a house in the mountains.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
ISTJs are currently whooping your ass, INTJs.

ARE YOU JUST GONNA ACCEPT THAT?

...says the lone wolf.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, one INTJ already abandoned the boat. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5