• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Viz Manga [2005-07-18]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
Viz is trying to milk all they can get out of Jump titles, as evident by these third-rate mangas.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen them, but Viz probably won't publish them until '06. They got way too much on tap for the 4th quarter. I'm waiting until the next issue of Jump for Bobo-whatever to preview it, but the art style looks a little weird to be as much of a hit here as it is in Japan.
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I kinda agree. Black Cat is just a mix of Rurouni Kenshin and Trigun, Claymore is just a female version of Berserk, and D-Gray Man is just anoter demon huntering story that was way overdone.

But on the upside, 2 more characters that's in Jump Super Star has now arrieved in US.
Orca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
Haha, so I take it I'm the only D.Gray-man fan here? I wouldn't consider it "just another demon-hunting" manga, but each to their own.

I'm not surprised Viz has picked it up after all, especially since they recently snagged Death Note too. I'd be interested to see how they release DGM, given that the chapters themselves are rather small.
manafairy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
Orca wrote:
Haha, so I take it I'm the only D.Gray-man fan here? I wouldn't consider it "just another demon-hunting" manga, but each to their own.

Nope, there are two of us Anime smallmouth Out of all the license announcements at comic-con this is the only one I'm excited about. I can't wait to pick up a hard copy as I've really been enjoying it. As long as it stays out of Viz's Shounen Jump magazine, I'm happy Anime smile
Seca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
Nope, you aren't alone. I love this series and I can't wait for it to be released. The only thing I'm worried about is that with the normal Shonen Jump GN release rate it won't take too long for to catch up to the Japanese release. So I'm curious to what they're going to do about that.
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
D-Gray Man is just a mixture between Bleach, Shaman King, and maybe a little 3 X 3 Eyes and JoJo's Bizzard Adventure.

There is no innovation with this manga. All the ideas so far has been used in the mangas mentioned above and Van Hellsing, Flame of Recca, and many more mangas.

I have been reading manga since the days of pre-Doraemon, so I know what I am talking about.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I know D.Gray-man has a little cult fanbase right now, and I enjoyed what I read of Black Cat...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Should be interesting. I've read a few scans of Black Cat, and it seems to be a good manga. D.Gray-man fanart has been popping up on DeviantArt for a while now, I'm curious about the series.
VespaChick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
Viz is trying to milk all they can get out of Jump titles, as evident by these third-rate mangas.

You have got to be kidding me with the "third rate" business. All 3 of the titles might have smaller fanbases here but are popular in Japan. Especially D.Gray-man as of late. Im honestly surprised Gintama wasnt amongst the list as well.
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
Nope, you aren't alone.

I enjoy D. Gray Man, too. Typical shonen stuff as far as I can tell, but I like the art, the characters (Lina Li) and the humor.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
VespaChick wrote:
milcor1 wrote:

You have got to be kidding me with the "third rate" business. All 3 of the titles might have smaller fanbases here but are popular in Japan. Especially D.Gray-man as of late. Im honestly surprised Gintama wasnt amongst the list as well.

Because all popular things are good things?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Grayman and Black Cat (haven't read Claymore) are pretty standard Jump matterial, and while they aren't horrible per say, they certianly don't have anything extraordinary about them. I'd rather them put out more stuff from Shonen Sunday, which tends to be more diverse than Jump.
But I'm sure, like gatsu said, they won't be publishing these till 2006. THey've got too much stuff on their hands as is.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
And isn't Bleach a retread of YuYu Hakusho in many ways? The issue is in the telling. There's precious little new under the sun, TRUST ME(as a fantasy/sci/fi fan for the last .......almost 40 yrs. Really all my life since the earliest stuff I remember watching on tv was Addams Family--so over 40 yrs.) Somewhere someone else had the idea for just about everything we're seeing now.

My ears perked up at D.Grayman. I like demon stories. Don't care how similar they are. Just give me some bishies or an interesting read.

Sometimes it's interesting to see how someone retreads an old idea.
VespaChick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
VespaChick wrote:
milcor1 wrote:

Because all popular things are good things?

Not nessecarily, but popular things ARE popular and frankley, thats the most important aspect to look at when looking to license something.
I would reserve the title "third-rate" for something that not only lacked quality but lacked popularity as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2