• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCorpsMC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Are there any reputable manga publishers in the United States? I'm not japanese, so will that have any impact on my chances in the industry, and possibly becoming a popular artist?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
So, basically you want to be a comic artist? Publishers like Yen Press work with local talent influenced by Japanese comics. And dozens of small press and independent publishers. Oni Press is a good example. There are lots of publishers, so do some research. Look them up online, read some of the books they publish.

Your nationality or whatever has nothing to do with your chances of success. What matters is the comics you draw. The way you present yourself is important, though. There are so many people out there who want to draw comics, you have to show that you're something special. Saying "I can draw manga" won't help you. In fact, it may hurt your chances. It isn't the buzzword is used to be and the one publisher that was super interested in publishing homegrown manga is pretty much dead anyway.

What you want to do is make a solid portfolio. Don't just draw illustrations and splash pages, show that you understand how panels work; show that you can tell a story. And honestly, it doesn't hurt if you can draw in a few different styles. The chances the style of a young artist is both fresh and appealing are slim, so publishers appreciate someone who is versatile and willing to evolve.

Once you have a portfolio, you can start approaching publishers. Lots of 'em hold portfolio review sessions at comic conventions. Don't stop there, though. There are tons of ways to promote yourself. A webcomic for instance. Make sure you meet your own deadlines. Publishers love people who respect deadlines. And network. Networking is very important. Talk with fellow aspiring comic artists and whoever else is in or close to the industry.

I've also heard this advice a lot: make sure you have other skills than just comics. Publishers need more than just artists and writers. Being a sales manager or something may not be your dream job, but you'll be able to work closely with the people the people who produce comics and learn from them.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone has the time to help me with this unusual favor so I thought I should try to ask here...

So I'm on a mission of tracking down all the issue(s) of Shojo Beat Magazine that has the "Drawing with Yuu" column. I think it started on September of 2007 issue. I want to ask any of you who still has the magazine until what issue that column ran? Its basically like tutorial on how to create a series from Yuu Watase..

If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
hey everybody I am big fan of battle manga I loved hungry joker it got cancelled right away thanks shonen jump, I hated how series go away so quick I mean, is there a series similar to naruto, bleach and fairy tail. I like reading shonen manga with some little romance, have bunch of likable heroes and villains, epic fights, conflict and relationship between characters, different arcs that can to be animated into 100 episodes, but those type of mangas are gone now, I mean only ones I read is fairytail,bleach, naruto, nanatsu no taizai.

I do read others too but they don't count like attack on Titan I love it but it's not shonen okay. Is there hope future series can be similar to air gear, 666satan, d gray man, beet the vandal hunter, bosu renkin, blazer drive, medaka box, psyren, full metal alchemist, soul eater and rave master. I don't want one piece, toriko, and many others. Come on guys is there good ones that are new? Because I am picky reader only I like it if gets my attention, current mangas I'm reading is naruto, bleach, fairy tail, seven deadly sins, attack on titan, and claymore that's all. there are mangas

I don't like is magi, one piece, toriko, blue exorcist, and there others I can't remember. A type manga that I like to read is to has main hero or heroine with a love interest, best friend character, and cool character with a lot likable characters and villains, story arcs that be animated into 100 episodes or more, if it gets popular hoping for movies and games

[EDIT: Paragraph breaks are your friend. And please don't copy and paste the same post into other threads. -TK]
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
Have you read Kekkaishi? It only got a 52 ep series I think, but it's 35 volumes long (I think the manga went about 13-15 volumes in). It's fairly recent, the 00s decade, and is complete. Actually, I noticed your list didn't really have anything from Shonen Sunday listed (I see Shonen Jump and Shonen Gangen, but only Magi for Shonen Sunday, which you didn't like). I'd also give Ranma 1/2 a try, it's older, but it's a classic, though it's far more comedic than serious. That anime has well over 150 eps I believe.

It's a manhwa, but I'm also enjoying Witch Hunter (aka Witch Buster in the US) a fair bit. Seven Seas markets it as being similar to Soul Eater.

You might not know you need it, but everyone needs a healthy dose of Great Teacher Onizuka, one of the funniest manga ever and the best school-based shonen out there. GTO also has spinoffs to keep you busy for a while (GTO itself being the sequel to Shonan Junai Gumi, aka GTO: The Early Years). I think GTO got about 45 eps of anime, but it only covered half the series.

If you want to go into R rated dark fantasy territory, there's always Berserk (which probably could get a new anime series going over 100 eps, but for now has a 26 ep series and a 3 movie retelling)

And although it's a shojo, Basara reads like a shonen half the time, but with more romance emphasis at times because it is a shojo. But Sarasa is at least as awesome and badass as any shonen lead and damn can that author draw everything and anything. Hell, there's even a decapitation in the first volume, followed by epic horseback fighting. The only thing you might have trouble with is the art, which is shojo flowerly looking at all times, but I got used to it. It only got a 12 ep OVA, but could've gotten way more.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I was saving some doujinshis to my computer...while most have an English title, a few don't

I was wonder if anyone can help me with what they translate to

1st title is...
Nagisa-kun to Ikari-kun ga Ichaicha Shiteru hon (渚君と碇君がイチャイチャしてる本)

but I"m not sure about it. I saw that
Ichaicha=flirting
Shiteru=doing
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
It is just Nagisa-kun and Ikari-kun are flirting. Ichiacha shiteru = is/are flirting. If it had been "Nagisa-kun to Ikari-kun ga ichiatsukimasu" it would translate as Nagisa-kun and Ikari-kun flirt. The shiteru gives it continuity.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
thank you for answering
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone happen to know if this manga is still being working on in Japan?

DMP/June released Vol.1 just a couple months ago, and I looked if there were anymore volumes to come...only to find only 1 volume has been published in Japan
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Do anyone know if this huge ass book is hardback or not?

I read it's first 5 volumes (like making it over 1000 pages), and says it uses really good paper

I want to think it is hardback, just with how huge they're saying it's going to be....but then again, they could be cheaping out on it, seeing as the omnibus is only $60-ish retail ($10-11 is their standard price on singles)
oriana3k

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
You know...I'm honestly am not surprised

I was just hoping it was going to be hardcover, but I figured it wouldn't by the retail price

But I'm also disappointed. How well will the spine even hold up with it being so large?

It just seems too big to handle and seems aimed towards a collector, and not someone that wants to play catch-up with a series
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
I have a question about Dark Horse's Ghost Talker's Daydream release. The page for it says there's a total of 10 volumes and it's complete, but Dark Horse only released 6 volumes, and it's been many years since the last one. Did they cancel the series?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
^I wouldn't be surprised. They are jerk wads known for canceling series without warning or explanation. I think they do this weird thing where they print the next volume based on the last volume's sales. If the numbers don't add up, they quit. Which is why people aren't too thrilled with them when it comes to that. Good thing Berserk sells well, eh?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
So over on Vertical's Facebook page, they have their usual list of "manga coming out this month" up. I noticed on Wolfsmund that they wrote "vol 5 of 6".
So I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's 6 volumes and complete in Japan or still ongoing and vol 6 is simply the most recent one. I can't find any information on wikipedia or elsewhere on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 45