• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I didn't mean to step on a raw nerve there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
No worries, bruv. The only reason I said anything is that I'm sure you would have thought it weird if I didn't take what otherwise would have been a perfectly common sensical solution.

@ lys - ah, that's where my confusion was coming in. I could see that TRSI had BAA:LO vols 16-19 and I assumed those were the old Viz Media editions. I didn't realize that Kodansha was going omnibus then back to single volumes.

What that "seems" to mean is that I could buy omnibus 4 and it would pick up right where my Viz volume 9 left off - hopefully.
petezufe

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

My very first time posting in the ANN forums. I figured this would be most likely the best place to look for information regarding the manga series Metsuko ni Yoroshiku 滅子に夜露死苦

Does anyone have any information on this series?

Here is what I know so far from digging:
1. Made by cool-kyou Shinja (aka Cool Kyoushinsha and etc.)
2. Serialized in Comic Rex
3. Published Feb. 27, 2013 - ?

Pretty much what I could find on myanimelist

What I'm hoping to find out:
1. If the series is still running
2. If so, link to the series' webpage (I tried looking on Comic Rex's website but I don't know Japanese so I had a hard time of it)
3. How many volumes total have been released

If anyone could help I would be very appreciative. I absolutely love this series but there is very little information out there...! Sad
yutsudark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
alredy finished ?

i buyed manga volume 1 , 2 , 4 but no there 5 ?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
@yutsudark
Could you tell us the title of the series you are asking about?
yutsudark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
O Sorry this is manga im looking Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth Sad
ayanami000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
{I told you to properly capitalize your sentences -- and I meant it. ~nobahn}
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
You're going to want the Official Recommendations Thread.
Svcy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Are there any manga that is bigger than 7.5×5 in size? I want bigger (not thickness) maybe the drawing are bigger and words. I am planning to collect a manga for collection then i got my very first manga which is really not my first that is 7.5×5 in. Now when I was canvassing I saw this manga in store around 10×7. I only buy thru internet if cant see the item i want so i dont know the actual picture of the book. Are bigger size manga got bigger drawings?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Are you wondering on Japanese or English?

Japanese and English manga each tend to have 2 common sizes to them.

For Japanese books, the "traditional" size is about 4.5"x7", whereas some newer titles are coming out at about 5"x7". There's not really any way to tell what size a book is without physically seeing it, although some publishers, such as Hakusensha publish most of their books in the smaller size (example of the distinct branding on Hakusensha's Yume to Hana line). IIRC, most of the Shounen Jump titles also use the smaller format.

For English books, the "traditional" size is slightly larger than the larger Japanese format, at about 5"x7.5", with larger books being in the 6"x8.5" format. Most omnibus will be in the larger format, as well as hardcover books (which are slightly larger). Yen Press has also been putting out their OEL literary adaptations in this format. With English books, almost all books will be smaller format. Older Tokyopop books (Sailormoon and Cardcaptor Sakura, as well as anything that has the "Mixxine" branding) are even smaller, closer to the "traditional" Japanese size.

Light novels, btw, are also split in their size. Most current US light novels are roughly the same size as the larger English manga (my Log Horizon 1 is coming in slightly smaller, at 5.5"x8.5"). Older books are often the same as the "traditional" English manga size. Japanese light novels, on the other hand, are tiny. My Kamen Rider W novel (no, it's not a light novel, but it's the same size as light novels) measures at only 4"x6," and is noticeably smaller than my Japanese manga.

If you just want to follow the story, and prefer it larger, you might consider going the digital route, since you can zoom in and resize the images. If you just want pretty pictures to look at, artbooks are an option as well (and usually in full color!).
Svcy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
I saw this guy compare 3 in 1 vs single volume and the size are the same 7.5×5 in. They said the paper quality is bad in 3 in 1, is it bcos its thin? so they wont become thicker. I dont mind having thin paper as long as theyre not tissue paper quality. Anyway are 3 in 1 have the same art and sub quality as single?

Any pros and cons for 3 in 1 vs singles? I dont mind the price and having thin paper and cathing up. Whaf important for me is the art quality/subs and book size such as higher than 7.5×5 in. and what to look for a manga.

I think one thing that is bad for 3 in 1 since they are thick, I have to open it wide so the back carton cover will damage and it is heavier.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Before I attempt to answer your question I need to say something. As a confirmed reader, the idea of making a buying decision on the basis of the size or format of something instead of the content is a bit bewildering. You should be deciding what to buy on the basis of the story and artwork. Other factors should be secondary.

In the majority of cases, the size of a manga volume and the format (omnibus or single volume) is specific to the title. Basically if you want the series you don't have a choice. There are a few series that have either been reprinted or license rescued that are available in more than one size/format however only one version will be currently in print.

In addition to the sizes Dessa mentioned above there were some series published in normal comic book size (6 1/2 by 10 inches). Those were all in flipped format and are for the most part out of print.

As you noted the omnibus versions can be awkward to use. That seems to be less of a problem in the larger size. The question of paper quality depends on the publisher and in some cases the series. The quality in the omnibus volumes from Viz seems to be excellent. I just got the first omnibus of Dark Horse's Oh My Goddess! and the paper quality is substantially better than in the previously published single volumes.

TLDR: The quality of a given title is not dependent on the size or format. Unless you are unable to do so you should check the title at a book store or comic shop or ask for here for information about specific titles you intend to buy.
Svcy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Before I attempt to answer your question I need to say something. As a confirmed reader, the idea of making a buying decision on the basis of the size or format of something instead of the content is a bit bewildering. You should be deciding what to buy on the basis of the story and artwork. Other factors should be secondary.

ofc I've read it already. I only buy to make it as collection and when I collect things, they are worth buying (story, art etc). Now for the books, I have seen manga, comics and story books with 10"x format, isn't that good that the drawings are bigger? that is my point of wanting bigger size.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The only recent titles I have seen in 10 inch format are Nausicaa from Viz and Thermae Romae from Yen Press. Both are in hardback and are deluxe editions. As a result they are a bit pricey. There may be others currently that I'm not familiar with, others can chime in on that.

A bit of history, when manga first was published in the US most of it came out in comic book form. That is the standard 10 inch floppy format US comics still use. In the early 2000s that stopped and publishers went direct to graphic novel format. Both Dark Horse and CPM initially published graphic novels in the same 10 inch format they had used for the initial comic book release. Most if not all of them are flipped. This may be what you saw.

The 10 inch format is probably closest to the size manga is originally printed in Japanese anthology magazines. However, the current sized US manga volumes are at least as large as the Japanese collected versions and in some cases a lot bit larger.

Yes, if all things are equal, a larger size shows the art work better. However in most cases you do not have a choice. Unless you are willing to go on the secondary market, the current size is the only one available. A few titles were published in two sizes, most notably Dark Horse's titles from Masamune Shirow. However the older larger sizes are flipped. Your choice of course.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:17 am Reply with quote
It's not been published in English, so no. You're not allowed to ask for illegal scans or fansubs on here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 45