• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Rats, here I thought I had a chance to get rid of the older volumes. Sad

The only advantage to the flipped edition is that it is a bit larger on the page and, I think, a bit better paper. Dark Horse disagrees on the paper issue.

The new versions have restored color pages and some fairly interesting letters/responses from the original Japanese version as well as comments by Carl Horn. They also have many if not all of the Adventures of The Mini Goddesses. You might also want to look up the "Colors" volume. It has artwork, articles and other information. I understand that Dark Horse intends to reissue the early volumes in omnibus editions, if you like that sort of thing.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it told on multiple sites (including wikipedia, though they were quoting Viz) that Ooku: The Inner Chambers was projected to be ten volumes long. V10 just came out, but I have no clue if that's actually the last volume in the series or what. Anyone know if it's still ongoing in Japan? I've been collecting all the volumes, but the fakespeare makes it a difficult read, so I'm hoarding until it's done and will read them then, it'll probably be easiest for me that way (also, it's been a while, I've rather forgotten beyond v1), and I've no problems blindly throwing money at it because dude, Fumi Yoshinaga.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I've seen it told on multiple sites (including wikipedia, though they were quoting Viz) that Ooku: The Inner Chambers was projected to be ten volumes long. V10 just came out, but I have no clue if that's actually the last volume in the series or what. Anyone know if it's still ongoing in Japan?

Volume 11 of the Ōoku manga has been released in Japan in August of 2014.

http://www.hakusensha.co.jp/women/comic.html
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4592145453/

zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, so! Me and and my friend have finally gotten our Hidden Gems of Manga panel for Zenkaikon 2015! Feel free to come if you can! Buuut, I'm having trouble narrowing down my list, so I could use some opinions. I am doing mostly shonen and shojo as she is mostly doing seinen and josei and we need variety between us. I also want to have some manhwa as it's my newest craze it would seem (and I don't think she's read much, though I could be wrong). I'm personally trying not to have too many things from one company, or something to similar to something else. In particular, I easily have way too many CMX shojo, lol. I'm not covering Maison Ikkoku or Hikaru no Go as they have anime that people have at least heard of. She's likely going to cover Fumi Yoshinaga and Osamu Tezuka and older shojo (i.e. 70s).

So here's my list, tell me what I should definitely keep, consider axing, or maybe add. If I have a * next to it, then I'm already definitely covering that one. I'm going based on the number of ratings on My Anime List for determining most and least popular. The less popular, the better!

Shonen:
* Firefighter Daigo (of all potentials, third least popular, about 80 votes)
Record of a Fallen Vampire
Witch Buster (though I'd actually need to read what I have on my shelf for the first time after v4, lol)
Monster Collection
Maoh: Juvenile Remix
Threads of Time
Kiichi and the Magic Books (of all potentials, this one is the least popular with only about 30 votes)
Kazan

Shojo:
Afterschool Nightmare (of all potentials, this one is the most popular with about 5500 ratings)
*Baby & Me
*Goong
From Far Away
Please Save My Earth
* NG Life
Cipher
Palette of 12 Secret Colors
Key to the Kingdom (second least popular, about 50 votes)
Oyayubihime Infinity
Penguin Revolution

Other:
Real (Takehiko Inoue)
*What's Michael (seriously, the pitch for this is as easy as "do you enjoy silly cat videos and pictures? Read this then)
Banana Fish (she did this panel alone last year and had this series. We're trying not to repeat too much of last year, though this is my most fav manga evar!)
Twin Spica (same as above)
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

I would definitely keep Monster Collection.
I had never heard of that before I tried the first volume, and I really do not remember why I picked it up, but I got the other five volumes as soon as possible.

I really enjoy the series and have read it twice. It helps that it is only six volumes.
The action is good and it has some great characters and a compelling story.

I am not familiar with most of the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd keep Kiichi. You'll probably have a lot of book lovers in the room (why else go to a hidden gems panel?) and this is manga about books, so yeah... It also has a Japanese folklore vibe to it and I don't see any books like that on your list.

As for the shojo titles, I think I'd go with either From Far Away or Key to the Kingdom. It's good to have a solid fantasy manga in there, but two may be too much. Since From Far Away has the best potential when it comes to being found in bargain bins, I'd go with that one (it's nice if people have a decent chance to buy some titles right away). Plus, it would be interesting to contrast it with some more popular 'girl gets send to fantasy world' stories out there.

For the same reason I'd go with either Please Save My Earth or Oyayubihime Infinity, not both. Wouldn't want 'reincarnation' to rule over thee shojo list. Now, if you're going to discuss From Far Away and Banana Fish (nothing wrong with a few repeats!) I'd pick Oyayubihime. PSME and FFA are classics in their own right, add PSME on top of that and your hidden gems will look more like 'stuff that was pretty popular in Japan but didn't do as well over here'. Oyayubihime is the kind of title that will surprise even hardcore manga readers.

If you want to add some horror to the mix, how about Presents by Kanako Inuki? Short stories are easy to get into, even if visitors can't find the first of the three volumes. (But it's CMX, so... yeah.) Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezo is great too, but relatively well known. One of the more interesting things about manga such as these is how one culture is like 'well, it's dark stuff, but kids can handle it' and the other is all 'shrink wrap and M rating, please'. Okay, kids manga is a little bit tamer nowadays, even by Japanese standards, but the cultural differences are still noticable. Oh, and Presents is a great attention grabber. "Who wants to see Santa murder asshole children?"
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
I think I shall keep Monster Collection, the cover indeed doesn't tell you much about why it's so good.

I'm still stuck on the shojo mess though. I kind of want to do Key to the Kingdom a lot, but I'm afraid of the list getting dominated by CMX shojo (I'm fairly sure I'll do Cipher, there's nothing on there as 80s as that, not even Banana Fish). But yeah, it should be only Oyayubihime or Please Save My Earth. And yeah, PSME is more well known so I'm leaning towards Oyayubihime.
*edit, ok, I just realized something when re-reading some things (since it's been a while since I've actually read Oyayubihime), it's Oyayubihime and NG Life that are the most similar. So I should do PSME and one of either NG or Oyayu. Oyayu is the less well known of those two though, I will admit. NG might get a popularity surge because of Yona of the Dawn, which makes it both a good idea to include (as a "by the author of Yona") and likely to get more popular on its own so a bad idea to include. Will need to think on this, but for now, PSME is likely in (it has psychic powers, man!), as Oyayu and NG are more similar tonally than PSME is to either one. So I will do PSME and Key to the Kingdom, drop From Far Away, then pick either Oyayu or NG Life (leaning towards Oyayu, you're right, it is more likely to surprise even hardcore fans, I don't want to be too predictable)

I'm thinking I should keep Maoh, there's no other shonen on the list quite like that and it should appeal to Death Note fans and such.

So, for now I've decided to keep Maoh, Monster Collection, and Oyayubihime. Debating on Key to the Kingdom or From Far Away still. Still undecided on Kiichi, I have lots of fantasy as is.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Hi, ANN manga people! I finally decided to check out Club 9, and it is way funnier than I expected. I'd like to finish the series, so does anyone know which issues of Super Manga Blast I need to track down for the chapters which didn't get published in book form?
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
^Club 9 is indeed awesome, it's worth tracking down the SMBs to finish it off, I really wish they had printed the last two volumes. I think you need from SMB 30ish on. I can't remember the exact volumes anymore, therefore making me sadly useless on that.

As for me, I've pretty much completed work on my part of the Hidden Gems of Manga panel! Sneak peek of the series I've decided to go with (in alphabetical order):
1) After School Nightmare
2) Astro Boy
3) Baby & Me
4) Key to the Kingdom
5) Firefighter Daigo
6) Goong
7) Maoh: Juvenile Remix
8) Monster Collection
9) Oyayubihime Infinity
10) Record of a Fallen Vampire
11)What's Michael?

You may be think "Astro Boy? Why! He's so popular!" And in Japan, yes, that's true. But as much as people know the character by sight, they don't really know anything about him as a character and few have read the manga or seen any of the series, so I do want to include it. Of course, I've just suddenly realized that I have a write up for Please Save My Earth, which I'm not using, and not one for Baby & Me. Not sure how that happened, off to fix that!
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm making a webmanga, but I can't find a good site that meets the standards I made. It's in the traditional right to left format, and I can't seem to find a good site that allows readers to scroll pages from right to left. Does anyone know any good sites that support that?
joey w

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
I was wondering how badly the sorcerer hunters trade paperbacks were edited by Tokyopop, back when it was originally released, flipped with edited sound effects, before the unflipped authentic relaunch was done for the series. I know that the swastika on Chocolat`s hat was erased in some pictures, but besides that, was there any editing or censoring done to the series, that make it different from the reprinted, authentic relaunch? If anyone who knows can reply, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Does anyone happen to know which single volumes of Battle Angel Alita: Last Order correspond with the Kodansha omnibuses? I happen to own the first nine volumes of Viz Media's release and I know that Kodansha has published five omnibus editions. What I can't seem to find out is which omnibuses I'd need to buy to complete the series. Omnibuses are normally 3-in-1 dealios, so does that mean I only need to buy omnibus four and five? I'd appreciate any guidance here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'll try this again. I'm fairly sure you are correct that the omnibus volumes are three in one. However I gave my copies to Psycho 101. If you will look at the last page of "Free to a Good Home" you will see a photo of them. He can confirm the contents.

Are you sure the Viz volumes you have are "Last Order" and not the original series? That was nine volumes in total, which is why I ask.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I have volumes 1, 7 & 9 of Battle Angel Alita and the first 9 volumes of Last Order. I bought these all used in good condition for a decent price years ago and I've never read them (which is the fate of the vast majority of my manga volumes so far). I kind of lost my appetite for the titles after watching the Battle Angel OVA which I found underwhelming.

I'm not keen on asking Psycho101 much of anything these days so if somebody else knows the answer to my question, I'd be much obliged.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I've never read the series, but from browsing Kodansha's tumblr (under their tag for the series), that sounds right: the Sept 15 post on that page says that 13-14-15 was intended as the last omnibus before switching to singles, and that seems like it would work out to be the 5th omnibus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 45