• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Level E BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
So what if the series isn't what it portrayed itself to be? You going to mark PMMM down because it too had a game-changing twist in the third episode?

When I saw the third-episode twist in Level E, I laughed for ages. When I stopped laughing the first thing I did was applaud the writing for such an incredible bait-and-switch. It's not often that viewers are tricked by the creators in such a smart and comedic way and it's only fair to give credit where credit's due. Sometimes you've just got to grin and admire the brilliant way in which you've been had. Then of course there was the double-twist in the last episode that once again caused me to split my sides from laughing, while cheering the sheer gumption of tricking the audience yet again with an even more clever reverse-troll.

Baka Prince is definitely one of the most refreshing leads in Anime history, and watching him get get out-trolled was one of the most satisfying and intelligent mind game conclusions I've seen in a while. The entire series is imbued with spirit and energy and superb wit. It was one of the best shows in 2011 and it deserves a far better grade than a B. I'll admit that the superhero arc is not for everyone, though I still found it to be funny despite not being a fan of those sorts of games. But it's worth watching just for the first and last arcs.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Honestly I felt the series got kind of old after awhile. It was fun to watch once but not something I'd buy or need to watch again.

My favorite character was actually Craft.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
This show was a stinking pile of crap. A B? Really?

It had an interesting premise then went absolutely nowhere with it. It sort of droned on then I aborted it rather than continue to torture myself with this utterly mediocre empty show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
^
So you'll defend Sword Art Online and say that it's good but then turn around and attack Level E, which so happens to be a genuinely clever and well-written show full of great characters?

Yep, seems legit.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When I saw the third-episode twist in Level E, I laughed for ages.

The twist in epsiode three was good,but there were some episodes such episode 4 that had lazy and pretty unfunny twists.Although after brilliant last episode that all doesn't matter. I disagree with the score on animation,I mean this had one of the worst looking CG creatures (in the rank of Fate/stay night)and overall the animation wasnt really good.
Quote:
It had an interesting premise then went absolutely nowhere with it. It sort of droned on then I aborted it rather than continue to torture myself with this utterly mediocre empty show.

Would be nice if you actually explained why you found it to be empty and mediocre.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
I remember reading once that Level E was, essentially, Togashi testing the limits of the special treatment Shueisha was giving him due to the popularity of Yu Yu Hakusho, I.e. Togashi-ism. Honestly, considering the stuff that Level E pulls I wouldn't doubt that story.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
So you'll defend Sword Art Online and say that it's good but then turn around and attack Level E, which so happens to be a genuinely clever and well-written show full of great characters?

Yep, seems legit.

Yes, because Sword Art Online is a good show. Level E is a meandering trainwreck.
danilo07 wrote:

Would be nice if you actually explained why you found it to be empty and mediocre.

How does one explain emptiness? The lack of something. In this show's case, creativity and enjoyment. I watched through the fourth episode before I could not stand another minute of this crap.

It doesn't surprise me that both people who respond to me are namenumbers. A lack of creativity is a common feature.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Yes, because Sword Art Online is a good show. Level E is a meandering trainwreck.

Meandering? Yes, I will acknowledge that it isn't interested in an overarching plot (though it does actually have one) and it does tend to flit from one thing to another. But a "trainwreck"? Heck no, it's anything but. I don't know where you got that idea from but you need to return it to its rightful owner.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How does one explain emptiness? The lack of something. In this show's case, creativity and enjoyment. I watched through the fourth episode before I could not stand another minute of this crap.

A lack of creativity?I would say that the only thing this show doesnt lack is creativity.I dont know perhaps combining Twilight Zone sci fiction stories with black comedy,Super Sentai parody,Dragon Quest jokes and experimental art style, then turning it all into one big prank is considered a lack of creativity by such highly creative individuals such as you who apparently like SAO(the most creative show ever!).
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

A lack of creativity?I would say that the only thing this show doesnt lack is creativity.I don't know perhaps combining Twilight Zone sci fiction stories with black comedy,Super Sentai parody,Dragon Quest jokes and experimental art style, then turning it all into one big prank is considered a lack of creativity by such highly creative individuals such as you who apparently like SAO(the most creative show ever!).

Just because I don't find a parody, which is by definition not creative, to my liking and say so brings out the strawmen. Sweet.

I was hoping for something new and exciting from the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and I was given this whatever it is. Would you not be disappointed?

And honestly, I found the first episode good, the second passable and it went downhill from there. It had the beginnings of something that could have been fantastic and shat on them.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just because I don't find a parody, which is by definition not creative, to my liking and say so brings out the strawmen. Sweet.

Parody can be original if it uses new ways to subvert tropes of genre and to mock them.Which is what Level E does,not to mention a BIG chunk of this show is not an actual parody.
Quote:
I was hoping for something new and exciting from the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and I was given this whatever it is. Would you not be disappointed?

Having seen first five episodes of YYH and not liking them,my answer would be no.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Parodies can be very creative. In fact, most good parodies will get creative and put a new slant on things. And I think parodies can be more creative than the original source material, although it's not necessarily. Spaceballs was a great parody even though it didn't change too much, while something like Dragonball Z Abridged was extremely creative in how it changed lines of dialogue and gave characters new (and much funnier) personalities.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but Togashi is no Mel Brooks.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So what if the series isn't what it portrayed itself to be? You going to mark PMMM down because it too had a game-changing twist in the third episode?

PMMM maintained its storyline and focus on the same cast through and after its twist. This one doesn't. It transitions into being more of an anthology than a unified ongoing plot or series of gags featuring the same core cast. That's what bothered me the most, because the series gives no clue that it's going to go that route before that point.

And do keep in mind that I don't think that this is a bad series overall (I was entertained, though I have no desire to rewatch it), just not a great one.

Now, I do agree that parody can be creative, but this is more an exercise in absurdity anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
Not sure why we are comparing SAO and Level E. Although I admit while I am not the biggest fan of Level E, I will take it any day over SAO.

Comedy is just very subjective. Granted everything is but what will make one person laugh won't make another and it is hard to judge that. Anime comedy rarely does it for me. I tend to like it at first and then get bored of it after awhile (Level E is not the only series to suffer this fate for me, Ixion Saga is another recent example.)

The only two anime comedies I really love are: Azumanga Daioh and the recent Shirokuma Cafe but I am sure other people won't find them funny at all.

And I am not a big fan of Mel Brooks either (with some exceptions like Young Frankenstein) *Shrugs*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4