• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterclock

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Interesting.

But the two Macross titles I'm still waiting to reach American shores are:

1) Macross Zero OAV
2) Macross movie (and I don't mean the dub-only version w/ all the voices w/ British accents).
mitora

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Wow...I never even seen Eva.Did ADV mention when it's going to premiere?

So is it a good show? I hope so... Surprised I'm so happy.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
I think it will be in adult swin because the nature of evangelion fits it better...

sure there's "robot action" but later there are whole episodes dedicated to character interviews and indepth looks into them... the mood is depressing and leans towards adults interests.... there are plenty of dark confusing moments and a lot of confusing plot points that i still don't fully understand..

there is alot of gore... not just blood, but arms spliting, mutiliation etc. ....

i remember seeing during robot week a few years back and it got me interested in it because unlike all the other shows during that special week was that it was so deep and it made me cry. (i cry at everything though) i was so amazed at the maturity of the plot....it was to good =D (because at that time i only knew the anime on toonami)

evangelion is a really good anime... and a very well known one... unlike one piece or yuugioh, there are a lot more american fans that have seen the anime and probably won't take it lightly if it's heavily cut on toonami

besides? what kid who watches teen titans want to see something so heavy like evangelion? the first two episodes were friendly enough to be shown... and if you cut it...the plot will get even more confusing then it already is...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Considering Mari Iijima set up shop here, wouldn't the music for the dub have to be changed? Also, I don't see the point in airing Evangelion in the first place, unless the live-action movie's actually shooting, because ADV has made as much money out of it that they possibly can, mostly due to its 15 minutes being up 8 years ago.
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
Macross licensed by ADV (who has good working relations with HG), only months after AnimEigo announced they had lost the license? Raise your hand if you didn't see that one coming... Wink

Three unanswered (unanswerable as of yet?) questions:I wonder if they're going to use the AnimEigo re-master and translation, and give credit to AnimEigo? Also, (although I love AnimEigo dearly) will the new Macross discs be of better quality to avoid the chipping issues that have been? And for heaven's sake, tell me they have put armed guards to keep Tony Oliver and Reba West at least a mile away from the studio when they start to cast for the dub...
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Considering Mari Iijima set up shop here, wouldn't the music for the dub have to be changed?

I don't see why. They may have to re-dub the songs (although if they do, I will get out my 2x4 of learning... Twisted Evil ) but Mari-san might complain, I'm not sure if it would be her or VMI who would have the legal standing to sue over changes to the songs (with the exception of Cinderella, which Ms. Ijima did write, and was wholly her own composition prior to Macross.)
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote
Pat Payne wrote:
Three unanswered (unanswerable as of yet?) questions:I wonder if they're going to use the AnimEigo re-master and translation, and give credit to AnimEigo? Also, (although I love AnimEigo dearly) will the new Macross discs be of better quality to avoid the chipping issues that have been? And for heaven's sake, tell me they have put armed guards to keep Tony Oliver and Reba West at least a mile away from the studio when they start to cast for the dub...
I would certily hope they do get with AnimEigo about the subtitle track and the cleaned up verison. But this is ADV, so I won't but it pass them they would do it all themselfs. I hope they atleast give us the remastered verison. That's funny, I liked Tony as Rick, in a retro Robotech kind of way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Considering Mari Iijima set up shop here, wouldn't the music for the dub have to be changed? Also, I don't see the point in airing Evangelion in the first place, unless the live-action movie's actually shooting, because ADV has made as much money out of it that they possibly can, mostly due to its 15 minutes being up 8 years ago.

As far as I know, when you liscense something, you get all rights to the soundtrack aswell, including, but not limited to, opening and ending credits, bgms, etc etc.

No disrespect to Mari Iijima, but I think if ADV where to go with that, I'm pretty sure she couldn't, legally, do anything about it.

Why would she even want to?

As far as I know, Macross helped spark her popularity.

I am hoping ADV goes with the remastered version, as that would be awesome.

I held off buying AnimEigo late last year when I had the money to do so, because I had a gut feeling something would happen to Macross this year, and I was right.

I'm looking forward to getting these if they are the remastered version and have a good dub (aswell as sub).

In the even that they have neither.....I shall scour eBay for the AnimEigo dvds. Very Happy

After so long, seeing Macross finally get a proper dub, though. I'm glad to see I am not the only Otaku who feels a sense of gratitude for this. Macross has diserved a good dub for the longest time.

If the DVD's do well, I hope Macross Zero gets liscensed. I'v seen two episodes of it, and it was awesome. I really should finish that up.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
I would certily hope they do get with AnimEigo about the subtitle track and the cleaned up verison.

Given that ADV and AnimEigo are said not to like each other very much, I would be stunned ever to find them cooperating on anything. The closest they've gotten would be the dub of You're Under Arrest, and in that case ADV just used the same dubbing studio.

Every year I become more amazed that AnimEigo is still in business. They've shot themselves in the foot so many times, it's a wonder any of their employees have any toes left.

------RM
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Given that ADV and AnimEigo are said not to like each other very much, I would be stunned ever to find them cooperating on anything. The closest they've gotten would be the dub of You're Under Arrest, and in that case ADV just used the same dubbing studio.

It, of course, all depends on whether or not the license stipulated that AnimEigo could keep control of the translations, remaster etc. We already know that the restored footage is out of AnimEigo's control (ADV was given permission by HG to use it for the R-word Remastered collection earlier this year), so the license might have said that it was essentially a work for hire: AnimEigo would do the translation and restoration work with some money from HG, AnimEigo could split the costs of the set with HG to recoup the expense of the restoration process, but that at the end of the license period, all materials, including the translation, fell into the possession of HG.

Quote:
Every year I become more amazed that AnimEigo is still in business. They've shot themselves in the foot so many times, it's a wonder any of their employees have any toes left.

Their fanbase is very forgiving. I should know, I'm one of them.

Ataru wrote:
That's funny, I liked Tony as Rick, in a retro Robotech kind of way.

With the exception of Dan Woren as Roy, the R-word cast was pretty mediocre. If they really want a good cast, I'd hope they'd spring for the money to get the dub actors from Cowboy Bebop (IMHO, one of the few tolerable dubs). And as for Mr. Oliver... Both Arihiro Hase and Yasuo Yamada could run rings around him.

Last edited by Pat Payne on Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
The new Macross Dub makes me fall in love with ADV again...provided the Episode/Disc ratio is kind.

...now that I think about it, they've been pretty nice to Mecha Fans. Provided they hurry up with the Gekigangar OVA already!

Alter User Kazuma wrote:
Blah, I wish they would pick something everybody and their mother hadn't seen yet instead of Evangelion to go on TV, considering the size of the rest of ADV's library.

Maybe this'll start a trend...I'd like to see Dunbine appear on CN sometime.

Beatdigga wrote:
ADV, first you saved Gatchaman, now you saved Macross.

You are heroes to fans of old-school anime everywhere.

*prays for L-Gaim & Dragonar Releases*

Chrno2 wrote:
'Eva' on TV? Shocked Now there something you don't see.

Speak for your own country. Razz

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
But ADV may be attempting to bring in more casual fans who would rather see dubs.

Or people that like to watch things in a Language they can understand and connect with.

Subtitles Elitism = Not Cool

GATSU wrote:
Considering Mari Iijima set up shop here, wouldn't the music for the dub have to be changed?

Dubya-Tee-Eff?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
As far as I know, when you liscense something, you get all rights to the soundtrack aswell, including, but not limited to, opening and ending credits, bgms, etc etc.

No disrespect to Mari Iijima, but I think if ADV where to go with that, I'm pretty sure she couldn't, legally, do anything about it.

Why would she even want to?

It has happened a few times in the past that music is negotiated separately from the anime series. Recent examples that come to mind are the opening to Z Gundam and the ending to Hare+Guu, which are both replaced with instrumental themes.

Most artists evolve over time, and sometimes they do not feel that their old music is representative of their newer music, and would prefer to be associated with their new music instead. At least, that's one reason why she might not want to be associated with old Macross music.
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
The new Macross Dub makes me fall in love with ADV again...provided the Episode/Disc ratio is kind.

The episode/disc ratio's probably not going to be an issue. I'm guessing there's a 95% chance it'll be released in a brickpak like Mospeada and Southern Cross and pretty much all of their old-school series these days.

Quote:
Or people that like to watch things in a Language they can understand and connect with.

Subtitles Elitism = Not Cool

Hey, there's nothing wrong with preferring subs, although I see your point about liking dubs. The problem was that AnimEigo wasn't being elitist by not providing a dub track -- they were explicitly forbidden in their license to produce a dub for Macross, hence the confusion and surprise that now currently reigns woith ADV's announcement.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
I was actually criticising GATSU for assuming that everyone who watches a Dub is just a "casual" Fan.

My strategically-positioned Zeta Gundam Pencil Sharpeners would like to disagree.
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
It has happened a few times in the past that music is negotiated separately from the anime series. Recent examples that come to mind are the opening to Z Gundam and the ending to Hare+Guu, which are both replaced with instrumental themes.

Most artists evolve over time, and sometimes they do not feel that their old music is representative of their newer music, and would prefer to be associated with their new music instead. At least, that's one reason why she might not want to be associated with old Macross music.

A couple of holes in that theory: In both of those cases, it wasn't the artist who cried foul: In the Z Gundam instance, It was IIRC, the particular publisher (not the artist) for that song that put the kibosh on the opening theme. Most likely, the licensor wanted more money for the license than Bandai was prepared to pay. The issue with Guu may be more complex, because IIRC, The US licensee was mentioning unspecified copyright problems in using the song.

In most cases, the singers for anime shows have very little say in how their music is used, as it's often a work for hire. Mari Ijima does not own the songs from Macross (even "An Angel's Paints", which she wrote). They're held by Victor Music Industries, which is the licensor for all the music from the various Macross shows. She gets royalties, I'm sure, from her performance of those songs when they're rebroadcast or repackaged on DVD.

Even the Beatles, who wrote all of those great hits, can't claim ownership of them. The rights reside, (in?)famously with Michael Jackson and ATV Northern Holdings.

Besides, Mari Ijima's made peace of sorts with Macross, and she performs "Ai Oboeteimasuka" and "An Angel's Paints" and a couple others along with her later songs from her singing career here in Los Angeles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8