• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:

Let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. It's been about ten years since the original Japanese release of Eva's TV series (I don't know how long it took to bring it over to the US, but I'm guessing it was only a year or two?). People who were mere children at the time of its original release would not have watched it. I was between 9 and eleven, for god's sake, and had never even heard of "anime". Hell, the Pokemon craze hadn't started yet even, had it? ADV is clearly marketing to the new, younger (Adult Swim's considered appropriate for 14 and up) generation that has either never heard of Eva, or is curious about it, having heard about it from older fans.

Eva was being released here in the US at the same time it was still airing in Japan. Granted, the US release was during the second half of the series in Japan, but still, ADV was doing two episodes at a time on VHS tape and started in the early half of 1996, and it took close to two years for ADV to release Eva on tape.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
About Macross:

Dubs aside, is there any reason why I should wait for the ADV rather than getting the Hormony Gold one? Is it gonna be cheaper or anything? I would rather give my money to ADV than to Hormony Gold, but I'm sure it's all getting back to them anyway.
parabellum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
sorry for dumb question, but

what does this mean?

"for the first time ever, produce an English dub for Macross."

I never watched Macross, so I don't know anything, but
according to ADV web site entire Robotech have English audio?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Let me preface this by saying I didn't have time to read all sixtyodd posts in this thread, so sorry if some of these thoughts are redundant...

Ohmanohmanohmanohmanohman....

I cannot WAIT to watch AS Viewer Email Night the week after they air the finale of Eva.

We will discover a dozen different ways for n00bs to convey the question "What the hell just happened?"

AS is the only choice for Evangelion. There would be no market for the show on Toonami or Miguzi after episode 13, when mech battles begin to take a backseat to psychological wackiness and there's so much traumatic/bloody/quasi-sexual/religous content that practically every episode would have to be edited to the point where you'd have a half hour of Pen-Pen shaking his head back and forth.

spoiler[Plus, you know, it'd just be weird. "TONIGHT ON TOONAMI! Beast Boy plays video games and Robin goes all chibi! Zatch carries on an intricate conversation with a box of pocky! Naruto totally punches some guys! Shinji's school chum is reduced to the psychological level of an infant after being horribly traumatized in a giant robot battle, and meanwhile Misato and Kaji have sex and then she murders him cause she's a crazy drunk that way and then later Shinji has to decapitate his best friend whom he may or may not have had a homosexual attraction to! Followed by DICE! Don't miss it!"]
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:
sorry for dumb question, but

what does this mean?

"for the first time ever, produce an English dub for Macross."

I never watched Macross, so I don't know anything, but
according to ADV web site entire Robotech have English audio?

Robotech =/= Macross. Robotech is a hackjob combining Superdimensional Fortress Macross, Superdimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada into a single thoroughly improbable continuity. While "Protoculture" in the original refers to an ancient civilization whose descendants happen to be humans and the warlike race of giants known as the Zentraedi, in Robotech it's a magical mystery fuel made from some cosmic flower that, I might add, is used to tie the three series together. Adding insult to injury is that it's used to explain how the robots transform, instead of saying they were built that way to begin with...

In short, in Robotech they made the robots transform because of magic.

My facts may be a little off, but know this: I've seen the first DVD and the movie of Robotech, and I really don't see why the hell people defend it. They raped the story, raped Lynn Minmay's songs, wrote corny crap dialogue like "this calls for a rocket boost!", and worst of all, the dumbasses at Harmony Gold lord over the huge steaming pile of crap like gods, crushing almost all attempts to bring the unadulterated original or any merchandise related to it across the pacific without the aegis of "Robotech" stamped on it.

To summarize: I hate Robotech and I hate Harmony Gold. Anime smile
Kokaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
So, basically, they’re just going to separate the three series back into their original parts, and redub them.

Not the “first time ever” in English as their wording seems to make it out to be.
beast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

As for EVA, I watched that back when I was into dubs, so for old times sake, I'll watch the CN version. Anime smile

Wait, so you sued to a fan of dubs but your not anymore?
I really don't get how that happens.....

Good Lord.. Laughing
parabellum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
since anime network is currently airing Evangelion,
wouldn't there be some kind of problem?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:

Not everyone has The Anime Network, and Comcast just basically snubbed ADV and created their own network with anime on it.

Kokaku wrote:
So, basically, they’re just going to separate the three series back into their original parts, and redub them.

Not the “first time ever” in English as their wording seems to make it out to be.

Superdimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada already have their own dub and have had it for quite some time. Harmony Gold is allowing ADV to license Macross with the possibility of doing a dub on it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:

It's not the first time. Boggiepop as aired on TechTV and AN at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shadowe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:42 am Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
The cross-shaped explosions were left in last time, and I didn't hear anything about Misato not wearing her cross necklace, so the "relgious" content is probably fine.

What you seem to be forgetting is that this is america we're talking about. When peaple refer to the US as christian fundamentalist, they mean that in the same way we refer to saudi arabia as islamic fundamentalist. Nowhere near the padded rooms of the taliban, but definitely on the same floor of the hospital.

Cross shaped explosions could pretty much be ignored or put down to philosophical imagery, that would get left alone simply because it's too taxing on their limited intelligence. As for asuka...

A woman being allowed to physically abuse a man with no repercussions because of alleged perversions and demanding that he cook and clean for her is pretty much dead on for the feminazi standard of how the world should work. Of course that could just be how things work down here in bible land.

Pessimistic assessments of american culture aside, i'm looking forward to seeing ANY evangelion without having to choose between half a season or 2 years of college.
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
If they do Dub it, Robotech Macross Saga will be finished.
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Raoh:
Quote:
As far as I know, when you liscense something, you get all rights to the soundtrack aswell, including, but not limited to, opening and ending credits, bgms, etc etc.

As we all know, that's not necessarily the case. WKRP is the worst example of this unfortunate trend.

So, wait...they're releasing WKRP in Cincinatti on DVD, and aren't using that great opening theme? What a rip... Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Every year I become more amazed that AnimEigo is still in business. They've shot themselves in the foot so many times, it's a wonder any of their employees have any toes left. [/quote]

I'm surprised they've been able to get this far on UY, myself. [/quote]

We in Lum's Stormtroopers are very vocal and will buy the show -- besides, it looks as though the UY license has no sign of expiration, so they might as well release it to those of us who want to see ther entire UY series. If nothing else, AnimEigo deserves a gold star for persistence. Now if they'd just get rid of those blasted ghosting problems on their discs...
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Shadowe wrote:
I'm not 100% on this, but i'm pretty sure that in most (if not all) states it's okay to air adult content after midnight. I might be wrong on this but i've lived in 3 so far and you could find anything from those eurofilms that give you the Screaming Whafucks to softcore around 2am.

The pay cable channels (at least until the FCC decides otherwise) can do pretty much whatever they want. On broadcast and "free" cable channels (such as CN/[AS]), the FCC -- broadcast rules are federally regulated, not left up to the states, since broadcast transmissions can cross state lines easily -- says that you can loosen content restrictions after 10 p.m., when the younguns are theoretically in bed. However, it's still not "anything goes." Saying the naughty seven (see FCC v. Pacifica Radio [438 U.S. 726 (1978)] for more detail) will still call down a fine from the FCC regardless of the hour or context, just as nudity will at any hour.

Quoting from FCC v. Pacifica:
SCOTUS Associate Justice John Paul Stevens wrote:
Of all forms of communication, broadcasting has the most limited First Amendment protection. Among the reasons for specially treating indecent broadcasting is the uniquely pervasive presence that medium of expression occupies in the lives of our people. Broadcasts extend into the privacy of the home and it is impossible completely to avoid those that are patently offensive. Broadcasting, moreover, is uniquely accessible to children.

Adult Swim probably won't have to cut as much as you think, as they've been getting away with a lot thankfully, but there's no way that Eva will go uncensored. It's just too controversial in some areas.

Kusinagi-sama: I don't remember there being an ADV-sponsored dub on either Southern Cross or Mospeada, and I have both discs. I think those fell under the HG "thou shalt not dub Macross" injunction as well.

Jetblack:
Quote:
Dubs aside, is there any reason why I should wait for the ADV rather than getting the Hormony Gold one? Is it gonna be cheaper or anything? I would rather give my money to ADV than to Hormony Gold, but I'm sure it's all getting back to them anyway.

It'd get back to them anyway, as HG is the one who issued the license to ADV for the series, just as they licensed Macross to AnimEigo. I don't like it either, but it's pretty clear that at least as far as the TV series goes, it is legitimately HG's game. They'd better drop all thoughts of laying any more claim to DYRL though...

Last edited by Pat Payne on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
Even though I don't own Mospedea or Southern Cross, I thought that ADV dubbed these two since HG sublicensed it to ADV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8