• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Even though I don't own Mospedea or Southern Cross, I thought that ADV dubbed these two since HG sublicensed it to ADV.

Nope. Actually, HG's official position on dubbing the three shows was that they didn't want a dub to compete with the R-word. So this would be a sea change of a cosmic scale if HG allows a Macross dub. There have also been vague rumors (mostly fan speculation) that Mari Ijima might be approached to be the dub voice of Minmay, IF HG allows a dub.
Shadowe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I assume by pay cable you mean HBO and the other PPV channels. Great... well, i guess i'll be listening to a half hour rant of misato saying how great V8 tastes and how good it is for her.

One thing that confuses me, why the hell would they cut out pen?
parabellum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Why don't Japanese companies do their own English dubbing
and distribution in USA?

I mean Sony Entertainment is already here doing pretty well
making and distributing US movies,

it's not like japanese don't have
any experience in US market and they have money and resources
to do it, if they wants to.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:
and distribution in USA?

Toei has started doing this.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Hell must've frozen over.

Who'da thunk it?

Well, when Advent had his little leak that an ADV show was going to be on CN, I thought it could only be one of two things:

a) One of ADV's "newer" licenses, such as Full Metal Panic, GetBackers, Saiyuki, and the like

or

b) Evangelion

NGE is arguably the spine, muscle, and even the bodily fluids of ADV's anime department. Eva re-releases turn out like bunnies on Enzyte. If you want the job done, you put your best guys on the line, and Evangelion is that, but enough comparative language.

If the parties involved have their heads screwed on right, this is probably going to replace one of the ACTN shows in the rotation not named "Inuyasha" when it runs out of first-run episodes. My money is on FMA or GitS:SAC
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:
and distribution in USA?

I mean Sony Entertainment is already here doing pretty well
making and distributing US movies,

it's not like japanese don't have
any experience in US market and they have money and resources
to do it, if they wants to.

The technical issues of Toei's dvds make steer clear until they are fixed. I mean, did they even bothering doing market research at all.

Japan Anime (hentai company) releases 1 episode per disc with subs only (very unprofessional at that, when they can release a series all on 1 disc and get a much wider audience.

Wasn't Love Hina's dub done by the Japanese (or at least in charge of it)? It is quite a reviled dub.

Last thing to say is, "no one messes up a release more than the Japanese" since they are quite ignorant of what American fans want.
parabellum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

If the parties involved have their heads screwed on right, this is probably going to replace one of the ACTN shows in the rotation not named "Inuyasha" when it runs out of first-run episodes. My money is on FMA or GitS:SAC

GITS SAC has second season 26 episodes coming in Fall.
and FMA still has dozen or so episodes that need to be aired.

on adult swim that is.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Which is why I picked those instead of Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, or s-CRY-ed. Chances are, Eva isn't going to show up until around time next year. It's by no means going to show up overnight.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:
and FMA still has dozen or so episodes that need to be aired.

More like 25. Two-dozen plus one. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda: I still think Evangelion's as popular as it ever will be. And technically, ADV has to pay AS to have its shows on the air, not the other way around. So why put it on a channel most watched by people who've probably already bought the dvds?
Seriously, they should be promoting the other titles they've spent tons of money on, like Gilgamesh, instead of something which might make only slightly more cash than it did a few months ago.

Pat:

Quote:
So, wait...they're releasing WKRP in Cincinatti on DVD, and aren't using that great opening theme? What a rip...

What I meant was there were a number of references to popular bands at the time the show aired, and unfortunately, the rights to play their music or mention their names was lost in the mid 90's, so FOX doesn't want to pay the licenseholders for a show they feel will do weak business, due to its niche audience. A number of American shows have been released on dvd with music changes, due to licensing issues.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I just came from the adult swim forum and it was officially announced that EVA was gonna air in adult swim:
Quote:
Although no air date has yet been decided, Adult Swim will, in the near future, air the classic anime show Neon Genesis Evangelion. NGE is the story of Shinji Ikari, a teenage boy recruited by his estranged father to pilot the giant Evangelion Unit-01 to defend the earth against a horde of monsterous, invading alien creatures known as the Angels. A unique mix of exceptional battle scenes, religious symbolism, psychological storytelling and teenage angst, Neon Genesis Evangelion has been referred to by many as one of the greatest anime shows ever made.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Andromeda: I still think Evangelion's as popular as it ever will be. And technically, ADV has to pay AS to have its shows on the air, not the other way around. So why put it on a channel most watched by people who've probably already bought the dvds?
Seriously, they should be promoting the other titles they've spent tons of money on, like Gilgamesh, instead of something which might make only slightly more cash than it did a few months ago.

Pat:

Quote:
So, wait...they're releasing WKRP in Cincinatti on DVD, and aren't using that great opening theme? What a rip...

What I meant was there were a number of references to popular bands at the time the show aired, and unfortunately, the rights to play their music or mention their names was lost in the mid 90's, so FOX doesn't want to pay the licenseholders for a show they feel will do weak business, due to its niche audience. A number of American shows have been released on dvd with music changes, due to licensing issues.

No, AdultSwim pays for a license to air something. It isn't the other way around where ADV pays them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Actually, Woodhead said that the reason he never aired any of his company's properties on tv was that he'd be required to pay the broadcaster. Networks might need content, but they're not going to air it for free.
BigHurtBrad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well, luckily anyone's fears on Evangelion should be quelled: There's an official announcement now up at Adult Swim's forum announcing the aquisition of Evangelion. I doubt they'll be able to show it completely unedited, but hopefully some of the blood is all that gets edited.
parabellum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they will only air 26 episodes, or even air the movies too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8