• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shoji Gatoh Plans New Series, Full Metal Panic Short Stories

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, totally awesome. From internet scuttlebutt, the odds of getting new FMP stuff had seemed to be a pipe dream for fans due to low interest. Hopefully we'll get an animated version of the novels, since there seems to be a pretty darn interesting storyline that picks up where Second Raid left off. C'mon Gatoh, I need to see Laevatein in fully animated glory!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's some awesome news. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this "interesting little project".
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes indeed. Let the wild speculation about the nature of this "interesting little project" begin. Personally, I would not complain one bit if it should turn out to be another season of the anime, though that may still be wishful dreaming.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Shoji Gatoh wrote:
...interesting little...

Call me pessimistic, but I'm not getting "new series" off of this.

(Which is excellent, since I've got a penchant for being wrong about this sort of thing)
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
When's there going to be season 4 of the anime?
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Shoji Gatoh wrote:
...interesting little...

(Which is excellent, since I've got a penchant for being wrong about this sort of thing)

If it's animated it's probably one of those one shot OADs that would get bundled in with the other stuff.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Shoji Gatoh wrote:
...interesting little...

Add to that my own gut instinct.

I have this eerie, tickle feeling that they'll tease a new animation project. Maybe it won't be a new season, or even an OVA. Maybe just a movie. But the eerie tickle has usually never been wrong. :3

(Don't call me self-indulgent for this...but exactly 12 days before the Fate/Zero animation project was announced, I was rewatching UBW, and got that same feeling. Egads.)
Dakaran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
I want more Full Metal Panic!!! It's the most hilarious comedy with running jokes so you cannot go wrong! Razz
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
I want more Full Metal Panic!!! It's the most hilarious comedy with running jokes so you cannot go wrong! Razz

Why do I get the feeling that all you've seen was Fumoffu...
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
My mech-crazy friend told me that apparently KyoAni (I think) had said that they planned on making more FMP, they were just waiting for the main light novel series to end before continuing. Now that the novels are over, I'm guessing that they'll start working on it soon--or maybe they already are.

Of course, I could be overly optimistic, but I hope this is true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Put me down for "hopeful for more anime, but skeptical".

The new project sounds more like a manga or light novel based on the article. I didn't really get that "season 3" vibe from it at all. Although, I am pretty excited about it - regardless of what it is.

I'm hoping for the conclusion of the story. But, I have a strong feeling that there will be another Fumoffu-esque release before we ever see the end of the series animated. It would be a major let down if the project was something about minor characters or some kind of back story or alternate reality arc that I would consider filler. It would probably be gripping, amusing filler, but it's still filler and I'm ready for the end gosh darn it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Great, more novels and shot stories that I am not able to read because I don't know Japanese...

I don't want to sound like a downer... but the only Full Metal Panic related news that would get me excited was if either:
1. A new anime series is announced.
2. Tokyopop announces the translation of more novels.

But then again, hearing anything about FMP shows that there is still interest in it... so I guess hope isn't all lost.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I would love to see KyoAni do movies of the main story novels instead of TV series. TV Series would be great, but think of what they could do with a movie budget! Glorious SFX!

I only know one thing for sure: I need more FMP!
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Personally, I would love to see KyoAni do movies of the main story novels instead of TV series. TV Series would be great, but think of what they could do with a movie budget! Glorious SFX!

I only know one thing for sure: I need more FMP!

I think they need:
1. Another FUMOFFU!? type FMP.
2. Another TV series of FMP to cover the stories in some of the newer novels.
3. A movie to conclude everything.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Dakaran wrote:

Why do I get the feeling that all you've seen was Fumoffu...

Y'know, I loved the hell out of Fumoffu. It ranks up there as one of the most solidly entertaining anime comedies I've yet seen, at least by my reckoning. But I would honestly be sorely disappointed if they announced a new Full Metal Panic! series only for it to turn out to be more tangential comedy bits a la Fumoffu. The actual storyline, the dramatic bit that most people seem to overlook, is actually incredibly well done, and after KyoAni's short attention span and fad-riding greed led them to wander off to flood us with a torrent of absurdly well-animated moé fluff* and leave FMP! fans with a blueball-inducing cliffhanger, a proper sequel is long, long, long overdue.

*Yeah, yeah, I'll admit to liking some of it, but that massive Keygasm KyoAni went on and the copout Haruhi 'Groundhog Day' thing were really a bit (way) too much. Especially when they had certain mecha romance comedies they had rebooted and left blatantly unresolved...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2