• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Kill Me Baby TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I liked some aspects of this show. The story and interactions were great but the animation was a little lacking. I do not enjoy black out faces episode after episode.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Saddened but not surprised that Sentai didn't give this a BD release. I thought if they dubbed something it was BD guaranteed, but oh well.

I was thinking the same thing. This seems a really oddball choice to dub but yet not get on BD. Now I'm wondering if the bilingual format was a typo. It's happened before.

I've not seen the show, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.
coral422

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Was there ever a case when the ratio of an anime title sold overseas is larger than in Japan?

I think this is going to be one of those, just maybe. A few thousand isn't hard to beat considering the online following of the show, they just need to package this in a convenient way and get the dub to work with that crowd.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Now I'm wondering if the bilingual format was a typo. It's happened before.

The chances of that are rather slim, since Otaku USA let this license slip before Sentai sent out the PR.
And the Otaku USA review states it's getting a dub. ( http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4008/z8p64m7.jpg )

That's not really saying it couldn't be a mistake, especially since they wrote that it was licensed by Discotek and that it was coming out in April ( http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2528/bbzxc1acmaahbv6.jpg ) but I'd say the chances are good it's getting a dub and that it's not a mistake.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Saddened but not surprised that Sentai didn't give this a BD release. I thought if they dubbed something it was BD guaranteed, but oh well.

I was thinking the same thing. This seems a really oddball choice to dub but yet not get on BD. Now I'm wondering if the bilingual format was a typo. It's happened before.

I've not seen the show, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

If it was a mistake, David Williams would have corrected it on FandomPost it another site by now. Not to mention, the Otaku USA article specifically mentioned a dub.

The show is a niche title, so I can understand skipping Bluray. Even if they did one, the DVD would still outsell it (as has been the case with all their titles.). It's likely getting dubbed because other companies, like Manga or Siren, have also picked it up. We will probably see announcements from them, or other companies, later.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
coral422 wrote:
Was there ever a case when the ratio of an anime title sold overseas is larger than in Japan?

I think this is going to be one of those, just maybe. A few thousand isn't hard to beat considering the online following of the show, they just need to package this in a convenient way and get the dub to work with that crowd.

Actually, there have a number of shows that have sold better overseas than in Japan, most notably Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Big O.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Actually, there have a number of shows that have sold better overseas than in Japan, most notably Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Big O.

Not to say Cowboy Bebop wasn't considered a hit in Japan, it just never became the overwhelming immaculate classic in the way the West views it. More like "That was good, buy DVD, next."

I'm sure it's happened several times, like with Fractale. FUNi must have sold more than 883 copies. That's a truly unpopular series in Japan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kill Me Baby got licensed? Kill me now.

----------

Why would anyone rational and sensible put this on BD? Save your complaints for a show that would actually make use of the high-definition. Kill Me Baby was crudely drawn and will look perfectly fine at standard-definition. Well actually it will still look fugly, but that's not the fault of the DVD format.

Yes, I do know that most home video sales of the series in Japan were of BD, but no-one ever said Otaku were rational.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I never got around to watching it. A DVD (or possible future BD) release has no chance of getting purchased until I do see the whole series.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Sentai is starting to worry me. They haven't announced licenses of anything I like in a long time. And this is coming from someone who owns the majority of the ADV and currently released Sentai/Section 23/ Japan Maiden catalog.

There are still some decent shows that are unlicensed, yet they keep licensing shows that I honestly don't see how they even made it in Japan.

Sentai has been licencing some nice shows: Penguindrum, Moretsu Pirates, Tegami Bachi, the upcoming Kids on the Slope and, hopefully later this year, Tari Tari and Chu-2. Also, I believe Maiden Japan has the first Patlabor OVA.

But if you are talking about licence announcements for this year, you are right; Sentai has not impressed me much either.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Sentai is starting to worry me. They haven't announced licenses of anything I like in a long time. And this is coming from someone who owns the majority of the ADV and currently released Sentai/Section 23/ Japan Maiden catalog.

There are still some decent shows that are unlicensed, yet they keep licensing shows that I honestly don't see how they even made it in Japan.

Sentai has been licencing some nice shows: Penguindrum, Moretsu Pirates, Tegami Bachi, the upcoming Kids on the Slope and, hopefully later this year, Tari Tari and Chu-2. Also, I believe Maiden Japan has the first Patlabor OVA.

But if you are talking about licence announcements for this year, you are right; Sentai has not impressed me much either.

Sentai has already licensed Tari Tari. They streamed it on Anime Network.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Sentai has already licensed Tari Tari. They streamed it on Anime Network.

I'm pretty sure they know that, as I think that was in reference to hopefully being released later this year.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42: No one was complaining, though, they were just saying it seemed odd to dub but not release on Blu-Ray. I did mention I won't be picking it up if it's DVD only, but I wasn't complaining. (Mostly because it's not a series I'm really in love with.)

Out of interest, do you have a high definition TV and Blu-Ray player?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kill Me Baby got licensed? Kill me now.

*BANG*

I have high hopes that this will generate enough income for a second season, specially since unlike most anime, you can show it to anyone without getting blown to pieces for showing inapropiate material.

I bet they will sell several times the number of discs sold in Japan, the real question if it will generate as much income for the production company.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why would anyone rational and sensible put this on BD?

There are some nice bits of animation and layout work here and there, like the opening and ending by animator Shinya Hasegawa or the work of Ando Masahiro in ep 6.
Granted, it`s no Akira, but nevertheless would be a nice to have on either DVD or BD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5