• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aksys Licenses Idea Factory's Sweet Fuse: At Your Side/Bakudan Handan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alunimus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
I hope there will be Inafune route.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
As I'm interested in supporting the otome genre here in the US I'll be putting this on my upcoming list, though it probably won't be at the top.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
i will fully support this, as fan of visual novels in general this helps get more games localized the more you show support. Corpse party fear repeated from x-seed, Disgaea Infinite from nisa along with the two otomoe rpgs from Aksys are just some examples thus far that have done pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm not so sure such an obvious comedy parody of otome games would be any kind of indication that other otome games would do well here. A lot of guys like myself are going to be interested just because Inafune is in it and it looks ridiculously funny, but would never play a serious otome game like Hakuouki.

Emerje

Hakuoki is actually an amazingly written story. The characters are all engaging and the game is just well translated and full of gorgeous character designs (of all genders). Why avoid it?

And for everyone's information, I'm a straight male who wishes more of the male oriented visual novels for handhelds (Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, I'm looking at you!) would be brought over here.

I'm personally just glad to see the visual novel genre being supported. If all we get is Otome's, then that's still better than nothing. Now license Amnesia. I'm enjoying that anime and want to go through the original visual novel!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
HobbitonGuard wrote:

Hakuoki is actually an amazingly written story. The characters are all engaging and the game is just well translated and full of gorgeous character designs (of all genders). Why avoid it?

And for everyone's information, I'm a straight male who wishes more of the male oriented visual novels for handhelds (Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, I'm looking at you!) would be brought over here.

I'm personally just glad to see the visual novel genre being supported. If all we get is Otome's, then that's still better than nothing. Now license Amnesia. I'm enjoying that anime and want to go through the original visual novel!

I love you. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
@ DSX, Cecilthedarkknight_234, HobbitonGuard, and any other adult, non-trolling, supportive men on this thread:

Thank you for being awesome!
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
HobbitonGuard wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I'm not so sure such an obvious comedy parody of otome games would be any kind of indication that other otome games would do well here. A lot of guys like myself are going to be interested just because Inafune is in it and it looks ridiculously funny, but would never play a serious otome game like Hakuouki.

Emerje

I actually watched a first few episodes of the anime, but just couldn't get into it at all. Otome and reverse harem aren't for me. It's not even a romance or bishonen thing, I watch a lot of romance titles, but I need a better guy/girl ratio than most of these titles offer. Wink

But I have no problem with more Otome games getting licensed, bring them on! I just don't think Sweet Fuse is the game that will help push the genre. I think Aksys intentionally chose Sweet Fuse because they new it would have a broader appeal.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
First of all there are two hakuoki games, and then there was another one announced on this site maybe a month ago, also on the psp.

I dont play pc, and ergooge on the consoles have been around in Japan for years. Funny sony allows smut in Japan but not here. Because they dont, ergoge games are heavily cut up for console releases and thats fine. Though its hypocritical to approve over violent games that we have in the US but shun even the slightest showing of any sexual content.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=hakuouki

Great sales indeed, 17 games in the Hakouki series released in Japan sold a grand total of .67 million copies.

The US version had even better sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Hakuoki%3A+Demon+of+the+Fleeting+Blossom

yes a grand total of .06 million copies in the US, and .07 overall. For those who are math challenged that translates to 70,000 copies sold world wide. Thats not good.

Look I am not trying to attack otome lovers, hell Ill buy the games myself for my collection, as I collect any anime related games, but its just not a particularly big seller. And I wager myself and other would buy at lest as many copies if they released an edited ergoe on the psp.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
and ergooge on the consoles have been around in Japan for years.

The ones on consoles (and PSP) have the ero part removed, so they technically aren't eroge anymore when they get ported.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
VGChartz isn't a reliable source of sales information (I really doubt Hakukoki did 60k in the US), and even if they were, those sales aren't bad at all. Visual novels are like some of the cheapest video games to make, which is why they're typically the domain of the PC in Japan, despite that platform not being the most successful in that region.

phoenixalia wrote:
mistress_kisara wrote:
This is really great news! Very Happy Maybe if this was succesfull they'll be able to license the more popular Otomate titles (AMNESIA, Brothers Conflict, Clock Zero, Hiiro no Kakera etc.)

If they do, I'll do whatever I can to get my hands on a PSP. Laughing Laughing Laughing Do these games work on the VITA?

Yes.
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
HobbitonGuard wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I actually watched a first few episodes of the anime, but just couldn't get into it at all. Otome and reverse harem aren't for me. It's not even a romance or bishonen thing, I watch a lot of romance titles, but I need a better guy/girl ratio than most of these titles offer. Wink

But I have no problem with more Otome games getting licensed, bring them on! I just don't think Sweet Fuse is the game that will help push the genre. I think Aksys intentionally chose Sweet Fuse because they new it would have a broader appeal.

Emerje

Thanks for sharing your view. It helps to understand why you didn't find Hakuoki appealing! As well as your view on the reasons for licensing Sweet Fuse!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Nah.
I played Hakuouki for the plot and historical setting originally. The character interactions were just icing on the cake, so to speak. Even then, they were actually pretty good.

Was a pretty solid story either way.

Now, I'm hooked on the franchise. Still think Chizuru's useless though. Really wish she would get some guts and be useful for once. Razz
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

phoenixalia wrote:

Do these games work on the VITA?

Yes.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2