• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Law of Anime Part I: Copyright and the Anime Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
No, belvadeer, he's only trying to enlighten you on copyright. How many cases can you recall where an average fan was sued for cosplay? Why don't companies sue more often if fans are infringing upon copyright with their AMVs, doujinshi, and cosplay?

Why? Because it'd piss fans off and come back to bite them in the ass. It's long been acceptable to cosplay at conventions, make AMVs for conventions, write fanfics and make doujinshi. To suddenly take that away and punish people would have negative repurcussions and piss off quite a few people. Also, there are some unmeasurable benefits allowing fans to be fans - by allowing them to spread the love, they generate new fans, which means more potential pockets willing to spend money.

And most fans are small-fry anyways. If there was anyone out there making big bucks on infringed material, I imagine they would get sued. But to the average joe just wanting to dress up as his favorite character? There's nothing to really worry about.

EDIT: Additionally, as mentioned in the article, it is not economically viable. The average joe schmo likely doesn't have the money to pay for damages that the company is seeking. Why go through all that trouble of hitting the small fry especially if it pisses off the masses? (Headline: Big Bad Greedy Company Curb Stomps The Little Man)

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When working for a corporation such as Squire Enix or CAPCOM anything created by the employees using company materials or while on the clock is the intellectual property of the corporation, not the employee. This is a highly contested and litigated matter as sometimes corporations will argue that even things created on the artist's spare time still belongs to the company as it was done using the training and knowledge they gained while working for the corporation.

I have also seen it argued that since salaried employees are always "on the clock", everything they ever create (while employed there) is technically property of the company....
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
Best new column? Best new column.

Best new column.
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
S.Thordsen wrote:
This matter has been constantly debated by intellectual property attorneys for several years. General consensus is that most intellectual property laws are out of date and/or are in need of reform for several reasons. One of which is the fact that a lot of the laws didn't properly account for advancements in technology (most notably the internet). Other problems lie in the balance of the purpose of the law. Intellectual property law was originally designed to strike a balance between allowing someone to profit from their creation whilst also later allowing that creation to benefit the public by spurring on more creation. Over time the law has swayed more in favor of the former of those rather than the latter (look no further than the length of a copyright as an example of this).
Ah, I guess I was simply looking in the wrong places. I had to imagine that there was some discussion among the legal community about the place and nature of these laws in the light of newer developments, but I wasn't aware to what extent or in what form these discussions happened.

Thank you very much for responding.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is doubtful that any person who downloads torrents or digital copies of a show that they did not pay for believes that the act is legal.

Wait, it's not legal? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? Fortunately, I'm behind seven proxies. Good luck.

Anyway, I'ma just gonna leave this here. It's a quote from a famous Scythian sage:
Written laws are like spider’s webs, and will like them only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful easily break through them.
-Anacharsis

//3000 years, and all we've learned is that we never learn
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:
It is doubtful that any person who downloads torrents or digital copies of a show that they did not pay for believes that the act is legal.

Wait, it's not legal? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? Fortunately, I'm behind seven proxies. Good luck.

Anyway, I'ma just gonna leave this here. It's a quote from a famous Scythian sage:
Written laws are like spider’s webs, and will like them only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful easily break through them.
-Anacharsis

//3000 years, and all we've learned is that we never learn

Whoa man you totally just blew my mind with your incredible wisdom
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Does this guy really insist on being referred to with "Esquire"?

How does one become an esquire? If he's an esquire, I'm a general.

From now on, refer to me as General Penguintruth. No, no, Dr. Count General Penguintruth, Esq.

(Yes, I know esq is used for law now, and thus applicable.)

Fascinating articles, though. Just today I received a notice from YT about a clip from Legend of the Galactic Heroes I put up. It goes to show that even the shows you wouldn't normally think are protected, or they would be lax about since they're old, are still fully protected. I guess I can't really complain if Tokuma Shoten makes a copyright claim. Though oddly enough, Tokuma Shoten publishes the novels, not the OVA series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
S.Thordsen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
It's technically used for any liensed higher profession (Certified Public Accountants also use the title).

Though to my experience I have never met another attorney who insists on being referred to by the title, it's more of a formality and out of respect to other attorneys and quickly becomes habit when writing documents of a legal nature.

To answer your question in short, no I don't insist on being called by it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
No, I get it. I was just joking. Probably looks good on a document, though. I'm jealous of anyone with actual expertise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I love this idea . . . I wish I had had it Wink You've put together a great resource. I have a small quibble, though (I know, I know, let's sit around and be law nerds--but I don't practice copyright law, so I rarely get to be a law nerd about laws that actually interest me, sigh).

I would buy that you were avoiding unnecessarily complicating the issue, because the DMCA is a big complicated mess, but technically the DMCA does not itself prohibit circumventing copy controls. The only thing prohibited by the DMCA vis a vis copy controls is trafficking in technology that is meant to circumvent copy controls (17 USC 1201(b)), but the actual circumvention is not included in the statute. It's access controls where both actual circumvention and trafficking in the technology are prohibited (17 USC 1201(a)(1)(A) and 1201(a)(2), respectively), subject to the Library of Congress, of course. I only remember this because my Copyrights professor drilled it into us, and for some reason, I just didn't get it for a week, until suddenly the access vs. copy and circumvention vs. trafficking distinctions clicked and now I can't forget it.

Anyway, keep up the great work--it's a good collection of the relevant issues in one place, which makes it a nice linkable resource when I'm trying to explain these things to people.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
S.Thordsen wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Does performances also include covers of songs from anime? For example if I posted a video of myself playing a background song from the OST on guitar on youtube, does that infringe?

To avoid any potential problems I'm not going to get into the specifics of this but covers have their own specific rules and laws. Just so you are clear, songs have two copyrights - the performance and the composition. In covering an album the second copyright becomes a problem and generally a license is required. (Again though, with anime there are international treaties to be aware of). A very good example where a cover can go wrong actually is the recent Glee episode that used a composition from Jonathan Coulton's cover of "Baby Got Back." Fox has taken the position that Coulton has no copyright since it's a cover whereas Coulton maintains he has a copyright in his particular composition of it. What I'm getting at is that cover's can easily run afoul with a composition copyright but it's a very tricky business.

To add to that, if you were covering the song by singing over an official instrumental (like if the single came with an instrumental version of the song), you would need to clear both copyrights because you're using the composition (the words and most likely the melody) as well the performance (the literal audio of the instrumental).
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Creative Commons is more than just a website. It has even been recognized in a court case. It's mainly used as an alternative to the standard copyright laws giving individuals the ability to allow their work to be shared freely, although only the copyright owner can charge for the work. It isn't created by the government but it has been legally recognized, much the same way a contract isn't created by the government but is still legally valid.

It's almost standard with podcasts. So someone is free to download the podcast from the creator's site and share it with their friends without fear of legal prosecution, although the consumer can't sell that material. Normally, sharing wouldn't be allowed under standard copyright. Although it's unlikely that one would run across much creative commons material with anime.
Tisiphone1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Great stuff. Nice to see a thourough, dispassionate analysis of this particular topic. Always appreciate articles where I leave feeling like I've actually learned something. Looking forward to the rest of the series!
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
due to my dislike of when copyright causes a takedown of a file I've searched for a while I've not read more than one word of these articles and will continue with my downloading ways.
my polite way of saying eff you...to the copyright holders not the guy who wrote the article or most ann staff.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh this is a nice insight on how anime copyright work, thanks for writing this up. Now it make more sense. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9