• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Law of Anime Part I: Copyright and the Anime Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
^ Watching them, yes, but not paying for them, so in essence, they're watching for free

Quote:
Cosplay that doesn't make money, AMV's that aren't sold, fansubs that are just put on youtube, are mostly tolerated. Start making stuff to sell, and do it on a scale that gets noticed, and the owners will take action.

Where'd you get that idea? AMV's get taken down all the time from Youtube for having a copyrighted background songs or using copyrighted pieces of video. Sometimes the music from a random AMV is removed because it is copyrighted
PMDR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Even if works make in Japan weren't automatically protected by US Copyright, the companies that make this stuff in Japan all have ties to representative agencies and other similar companies who try to resell their IP in the US. Most of them are far from household names. Afterall, they're basically middlemen peddling a catalog of titles. But those rep agents do hold effective ownership of the IP rights as they shop it around to the names people do know.

The point is, these agents own the US licences long before a name like Funimation gets ahold of it. There is no grace period "until somebody licenses something" where it's OK to torrent or distribute copies. The law says no. That's one thing. But in fact, nearly everything is bulk licensed for North America and other territories as soon as it's made, even if it never actually becomes a retail product.

The licence acquisitions we read about are almost always when the license has been resold, not when it was created.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
I have to say that even if fansubs are illegal, the fact is, you're not really affecting the owners of the show if you get them before the show is on disc, because the Japanese fans are also watching it for free. So, fansubs really aren't that bad.

But Japanese people are also watching the commercials (we won't get into the whole DVR issue, which is also something that American broadcasters can relate to) that help fund the "free" broadcast on TV.

From what I've heard, anime in Japan basically doesn't make any money at all due to how late it airs and how few people watch it. The production companies actually PAY the stations to host the show as an advertisement for the discs (which makes me wonder why the companies don't just use online streaming--it's probably cheaper and more efficient than awkwardly putting it on the air at goddamn 1 in the morning).
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
But Japanese people are also watching the commercials (we won't get into the whole DVR issue, which is also something that American broadcasters can relate to) that help fund the "free" broadcast on TV.
Fansub watchers might not see the ads, but they don't contribute to timeslot ratings, either, so it's essentially more eyeballs on the main advertisement(the show itself) for free(assuming the watcher doesn't have legal access to a stream).
Chagen46 wrote:
The production companies actually PAY the stations to host the show as an advertisement for the discs (which makes me wonder why the companies don't just use online streaming--it's probably cheaper and more efficient than awkwardly putting it on the air at goddamn 1 in the morning).
ONAs don't typically get the attention TV broadcasts do. The only full series I know of that were released that way are UPOTTE!! and Kyousougiga, neither of which exactly made waves.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
But anime fans in Japan are always online all the time, given the popularity of 2chan. You telling me that they can't just spread shit the good old word of mouth way? It's how us American fans do it, and we don't have easy access to the original promotions/articles.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Might just be the otaku prefer watching things on TV. All I can say is that ONA don't seem to do as well.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
But anime fans in Japan are always online all the time, given the popularity of 2chan. You telling me that they can't just spread shit the good old word of mouth way? It's how us American fans do it, and we don't have easy access to the original promotions/articles.

Chagen, I don't know if you've read any of Justin Sevakis's articles (specifically the ones that center on anime production and licensing) or have listened to the anncast on a regular basis, but if you do you'll learn one thing: Japanese companies (specifically, the ones that are made to be licensors for international distribution, though I could be wrong on that one) are known to be scared s***less when it comes to online streaming, primarily because it doesn't rake in as much money as they would want or at a pace that's satisfactory to them.

All the word of mouth from 2chan, 4chan, ANN, hell pretty much the whole internet, wouldn't phase them that much when it comes to adapting to streaming media.
S.Thordsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
I assume that man has never actually created anything in his whole life. If he did, he would've seen just intellectual property existed.
One has nothing to do with the other; Mozart certainly had no such protection and did pretty well without it.

Mozart did pretty well?! Sure, for a time he did well, but in his later years he had to beg friends for money despite the growing success of his works and Operas.
Because he couldn't get any money for just a performance of his work, only for his own appearance or composition...
He's a perfect COUNTER example, if anything. He was forced to continue composing and performing right up until the end of his life to keep his finances in check.

As I said, it's a difficult balance that nobody I think has quite figured out yet. If you want to see how being altruistic and letting everybody profit from your hard work but to your detriment look at the story of Nicolai Tesla, he didn't care much for his patents because he wanted society as a whole to benefit, as a result he saw little to no money and died practically penniless for it.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I found this article amusing as I am currently reading Rob Reid's Year Zero which makes the asumption that mankind is the best species in existence when it comes to making music, and that, ever since Welcome Back Kotter aired, alien species have been engaging in music piracy since then. In short, two beings representing the rest of the alien species arrives on earth and, after selecting a lawyer because they thought he was a former Backstreet Boy, inform him that thanks to mankind's "Copyright Damages Improvement Act", they might owe a lot of money....and the only way to rectify that paying all that money, is to simply wipe us out.

It must be problematic for you that many 'pirating' sites host their material on servers located in countries that either do not care about piracy, or actively engage in it. I can only imagine the money that was involved in just legal fees alone in trying to get Mega to shut down, and I'd imagine that a smaller, but still far-too-much-for-most-anime-companies-to-pay, amount would be involved in shutting down other sites. It seems to me that, perhaps instead of fighting against the sharing of these forms of entertainment, that it would be best to allow people, worldwide, to view and share music within 24 hours of its release on a legitimate site where advertising revenue can be collected. Not that I'm trying to justify piracy, but, some money, even if it is pennies per visitor, is a lot better than no money.

This is a major problem because a lot of sites do base themselves in foreign locations where the enforcement of copyright is poor. Where a nation doesn't enforce copyright going after those who infringe is a very difficult matter. Years ago in law school I wrote an entire dissertation about China's piracy problem and how it has actually hurt them in several industries because of this.

Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Quote:
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled is a prime example of a derivative work; it does not star any of the original characters and merely occurs within the established universe and canon which is Code Geass. Thus a derivative work can be anything using the original characters or placed in an existing universe.

Not that it really matters, but Code Geass: Akito the Exiled does actually have two of the original characters from Code Geass. Both Suzaku and C.C. are confirmed to be involved in the second episode.

That is my error, as at the time of writing episode two had not aired yet and I still haven't gotten around to watching Code Geass: Akito yet (I'm still trying to finish Sword Art Online).

GokuMew2 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
I have to say that even if fansubs are illegal, the fact is, you're not really affecting the owners of the show if you get them before the show is on disc, because the Japanese fans are also watching it for free. So, fansubs really aren't that bad.

This has been covered in the Hey Answerman column substantially over the years but Japanese company's fears of reverse importation and piracy (which they enforce more strongly in japan, you can see one or two arrest articles on the ANN home page right now) are prime examples of a country where the enforcement of intellectual property laws becomes a more serious matter (to its corporations) whereas here where the companies are still trying to find legislation to protect them.

PMDR wrote:
Even if works make in Japan weren't automatically protected by US Copyright, the companies that make this stuff in Japan all have ties to representative agencies and other similar companies who try to resell their IP in the US. Most of them are far from household names. Afterall, they're basically middlemen peddling a catalog of titles. But those rep agents do hold effective ownership of the IP rights as they shop it around to the names people do know.

The point is, these agents own the US licences long before a name like Funimation gets ahold of it. There is no grace period "until somebody licenses something" where it's OK to torrent or distribute copies. The law says no. That's one thing. But in fact, nearly everything is bulk licensed for North America and other territories as soon as it's made, even if it never actually becomes a retail product.

The licence acquisitions we read about are almost always when the license has been resold, not when it was created.

As I noted above, this has well been covered in the answerman column, but general by the time a show airs and sometimes well before, Japanese and American companies are already in talks over the licensing of a show. On top of this there are several international treaties that allow creators in foreign nations to rest assured that their work is protected abroad as well as domestically. The US and Japan are signatories on many of these.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
This seems like a good place to ask. I've heard that if the Copyright holders don't enforce it, they might loose it. Is that true?

That's trademark, not copyright, which are 2 very different things.

Although you don't lose your copyright if you don't enforce it, you may lose your ability to enforce it against certain parties due to the equitable doctrine of laches. If you allow someone to essentially infringe your copyright and do nothing about it for a prolonged period of time, and if they rely on your lack of enforcement to a certain level (usually by investing in the infringement to some substantial degree), a court might deny your ability to get damages or an injunction against that person.

For example, a current situation where this doctrine could have potentially applied at some point is an indie fighting game which I saw featured on Game Spot recently called My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic. As far as I know, the game's creators had no agreement with Hasbro or the people involved with creating the TV show. They were operating under the hope that they wouldn't be shut down. Apparently the game had been featured at some MLP and game conventions, and people involved with the TV show were aware of it but didn't stop them until this month. I'm not sure how much these people actually invested in the game (money wise), but if they had been allowed to continue on to completion and actually start distributing the game, they might have had a valid defense against suit by Hasbro, which is probably why Hasbro shut them down.

Article

Shut Down Notice
sburstall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Another source we can all go to is the website "Law and the Multiverse" (http://lawandthemultiverse.com/). These guys go about the legality of superheroes/folks. Maybe ANN could talk these into getting some information also.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Does performances also include covers of songs from anime? For example if I posted a video of myself playing a background song from the OST on guitar on youtube, does that infringe?

As I understand it, you need a Mechanical License to record performances of music you do not own the copyright for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dorian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
An article about the use of 3D printers and copyright infringement. Printing 3D figures.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/02/19/171912826/as-3-d-printing-become-more-accessible-copyright-questions-arise
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic article, in an area that is frequently rife with misinformation.

I noticed that in the whole article, the word "illegal" is only used twice, in the paragraph about DMCA violations.

Am I right in assuming that this is because DMCA is criminal law, and copyright violations are a civil matter?

Since the vast majority of fans exist in this murky gray area of "potentially actionable, but not practical to enforce against" behavior, it would be nice if people stopped using the word "illegal" to refer to things that are not criminal offenses; it's inflammatory and just alienates people.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
"Illegal" just means the law forbids it; it has nothing to do with what sort of punishment it's prescribed nor whether the state is the one seeking the punishment(eg, RICO can be used in both criminal and civil cases).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Re: usage of the term "illegal." I found this article which I think may be helpful in understanding the meaning of "illegal," and how it differs from the term "unlawful."

unlawful v. illegal

In my practice, I don't use the term "illegal" very often. I usually use "unlawful." There doesn't seem to be a big distinction between them for practical purposes. However, the semantics of the terms (as described in the linked article) might sort of line up with differences between civil and criminal law. Essentially, the article states that unlawful means something is not authorized, whereas illegal means it is specifically forbidden. Civil law often deals with actions that might be permissible unless circumstances make them not permissible, whereas criminal law generally deals with actions that are presumed forbidden. E.g. Stealing, killing, selling illicit drugs are all specifically forbidden (with few exceptions); however, entering into a contract and breaking it, or selling a product which is defective/dangerous, or creating an unauthorized copy of someone's intellectual property are all actions which are barred due to their context, not their inherent illicit nature. (If you don't break the contract, it's ok to enter into it. If your product isn't defective, its ok to make it. If you have authority to copy the intellectual property, it's ok to copy it.) Like I said, it probably is more of a stylistic thing these days, but this is just a thought.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9