• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing's English Cast, Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
spoiler[Yeah, that was such a tease, the timing was so perfect I really thought Claus and Lavie were about to join in the fight within an episode from their appearance (heck they had just caught up new viewers on their history, it was perfect), it would have been so cool and there was plenty of time to do it.

I would love a third series that fully combined both casts the rest of the way now and perhaps dealt with the secrets of Earth and the real Guild that was only behind the scenes in the new show.]

It didn't have to be at ROD the TV levels, either. I'm not a fan of My-Otome, but at least they had an episode that showed the leads from both series interacting for a while.

As far as the maid costume bit, that ended up being more of a moe parody since spoiler[she was trying to win people over but they just laughed at her instead.]

spoiler[Yeah, I agree with that. I know I would like a third season for more of both casts teaming up like that since Claus and Lavie didn't get to really take part.

Agreed. Oh man, I loved that reaction from the crew LOL. The cook especially was great giving her that deadpan look. Very Happy]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
IMO a jaw-dropping OST by the same composer as the original show.

Available in iTunes in the US and EU BTW, along with the two original series OSTs
Lastexile - Fam, the Silver Wing (Original Soundtrack)
Buddy - Opening Theme of "Lastexile - Fam. the Siver Wing" - Single
LASTEXILE O.S.T.
LASTEXILE O.S.T.2
LASTEXILE opening theme Cloud Age Symphony
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The box art looks more like Last Exile than any of the new characters did; Fam never had the aesthetics of Last Exile, making it hard not only to see how the two series fit together but even if it's the same planet.

Which is kind of dumb. Still, it was daring to make an entirely new cast instead of returning to the story of the old ones. Mullin...

Dumb, really dumb but daring.

Bottom line: If I tried watching this again {Hey, I only made it to episode 6 as well}, I'd be better off watching merely Fam, the Silver Wing.

Good cast, good music on the trailer. Kind of makes me want to watch it. Just "kind of"...

You realize that the story doesn't take place on the same planet, right? If you didn't understand that much, it is hard to take any of your comments about the show seriously.
Panzer Vor wrote:
Micah Solusod as Claus, Luci Christian as Lavie, Tia Ballard as Alvis, Mike McFarland as Alex, Anastasia Muñoz as Sophia, and Clarine Harp as Tatiana? BLASPHEMY. However, I suppose Greg Ayres as Dio was unavoidable, given that Joshua Seth left the business a while back. Still, BLASPHEMY (and some minor hilarity, in the case of Micah as Claus).

Claus, Lavie, and Alex's roles in the show are extremely small, the last limited to the Last Exile recap episode (15.5). And you already mentioned that the original voice for Dio wasn't even available. I see nothing wrong with recasting the voices for a show that is a sequel to something that happened a decade ago.
Megiddo wrote:
Dio is the exact same as he is in Last Exile, except he's not shouting IMMELMAN every 10 seconds.

Far more happens in the first 6 episodes of Fam the Silver Wing than what happens in the first 6 episodes of Last Exile.

Exactly, to both comments! If you judged Last Exile based on the first six episodes, it would seem just as disjointed and nonsensical as Fam. As a matter of fact, I really didn't understand what the freaking Exile's really were until I read about the show online. Fam, at least, gives a succinct and cogent explanation of what they are, for the first time in either anime. (In defense of the original, none of the characters really knew what the Exile was either, so it made sense to have it be a mystery, but it never really explains it at all.)

In short, both shows have flaws, but they both have strong points. The world building in Fam is a touch superior to the original, but the characters and plot of the original are slightly better than Fam. The artwork in both series is extremely good, and I will consider getting them both on BluRay some day... probably not right away, though.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
And of course, now there are problems with the release:

RightStuf wrote:
FUNimation announced the DVD/Blu-ray combo sets for parts 1 and 2 of Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing will now street on September 10, 2013. These collections were previously set to street on April 30, 2013. Open orders will be adjusted to reflect this change.

JAYZUSS!!!! I'm used to FUNi delaying shows by a week or two, but FIVE MONTHS?!?! Shocked

Must've been some serious issue they encountered with the rights or something. That's just insane.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
That delays the series to being nearly two years old.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
the only thing that I can think of that would cause a delay this long is that toonami picked it up. Thundercats ends March 31st, and what ever replaces that would start on April 7th. it would run to September 8th and then two days later, it's available for purchase
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Japan still has that whole hd cam tapes problem, thingy.... or something.... from that earthquake? Seriously, I genuinely don't know if these delays have anything to do with that or not, hence why I ask.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Since nobody has posted it yet, I'll ask again: what is the song in the trailer? I keep coming back to the Youtube vid hoping that somebody posted it in the comments, or in here, but being patient, I suppose, isn't pulling off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4