• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
International licensing news on the front page

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see UK and Australia (and other English Language) on the front page?
Yes
34%
 34%  [ 24 ]
Yes - but only for otherwise unlicensed titles
41%
 41%  [ 29 ]
Not particularly, but it wouldn't bother me
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
No, this would bother me (a distraction from other content on the front page or something like that)
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 70

One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I visit the retail forum on almost a daily basis mainly because the various threads (Aniplex Solicitations, JP/HK/TW/KR w/ENG sub or dub, etc) provide some organization and makes it a one-stop place to view releases. I personally, and this is just me, find that more convenient than news blurbs that I may miss or forget about. The new anime tab has "upcoming DVD & BD" releases. What if instead you have a separate tab, this way its clear for anyone to see, titled anime releases or anime and manga releases or whatever and in that tab you have releases that have English by region? So:
1. upcoming DVD & BD North America
2. upcoming DVD & BD JP/HK/TW/KR
3. etc.

Anyways, its just an idea. My main point is just that I find organized information a little more useful, and people who are not importers can ignore information that is not associated with their region. If the only choice is to put this information as news links on the front page then I'm certainly ok with that and it might be a boon to importers.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I know I posted before, but since what I'd like to see isn't an option on the poll, I thought I'd post again, clarifying more what I would like to see.

The US is a different DVD region than the UK or AU. While I can understand why some people would appreciate the info on releases, I don't have a region-free DVD player, so I personally couldn't care less.

I know that the US and Japan have the same BD region, but I believe that UK and AU are still different from the US. Which means, again, that I personally couldn't care less.

However, manga, being print and therefore impossible to region lock (unless it's a digital manga release), is something that is of interest to me, since I could import it. If it's in English, it doesn't matter to me if it's an US, UK, AU, or HK (I know there's someone publishing at least Pokemon Adventures manga in English in HK) release, I have the physical ability to read it.

I would vote for the "unlicensed in my region" option, but I am only interested in manga, not anime, since I have no physical way to watch the anime releases due to regions.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't know of any manga in the UK that hasn't been released in the US. Most are either imports or the exact same books released here by subsidiaries (i.e. they have the prices in multiple currencies on the back).
While Madman publishes manga, I doubt they have anything unique.

If you can read French then your options may open a little, but we don't actually have any French news coverage to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I think Singapore licenses some manga that might not be released here, chuangyi. would be the company.

That gave me an idea that I should check out their website.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3