• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: MAOYU Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
First couple episodes were somewhat enjoyable, but I dropped it like episode 5 or 6. They were just going on and on about dumb political stuff while I watched it for boobs and fighting demons and they went away from those things.

Our society is doomed. THIS is what the Continental Army died to protect.

yes, because one person in Towson, Maryland who is honest about what he wants totally represents our entire society
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why else would I bother watching an ARMs show? They are the masters of fanservice after all.

Because the animation studio doesn't determine what a show is or should be about? And they sure aren't the masters of it here. What little fanservice exists here is not the least bit good. Well, that look at Knight in the most recent episode wasn't bad. But "HEY, LOOK SHE HAS BIG BOOBS AND THEY SURE DO MOVE AROUND A LOT, NOW LAUGH AS SOMEONE INSULTS THEM" is really, really crappy 'fanservice'.

The show really needs LESS boobs and bland, typical shonen romance bullshit, not more.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
ARMs is an old hentai studio that are full of animators who are experienced drawing breasts and nipples and making them jiggle, thats why they are a really good fanservice studio. And because of that, companies with fanservice properties often go to them because they are known in the industry to be the best at adapting those kinds of shows.

So when you have a brand name like ARMs, it comes as quite a disappointment when they aren't using their talents effectively. A show with a bunch of old men talking often and not much happening with the girls isn't a good use of their talents.

It probably would have been better to go with a different studio as to not bring in the ARMs fanbase to a show where they only really showed off their mark in the first episode.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The show really needs LESS boobs and bland, typical shonen romance bullshit, not more.

Thank you.

Maoyu is just not a boobie show. If people want to watch bland shallow fanservice and/or stupidly chaste Shounen romance then they can go watch another series. Maoyu is not the sort of show that needs such things and I am annoyed that it decided to include them. Spice & Wolf's lead couple had fantastic chemistry, the story was tightly- and superbly-written, and instances of fanservice were few and far between and not a focus of the show at all. Maoyu is making all kinds of mistakes and stuff-ups, which is sad because it has some great things to say about economics and warfare. It convincingly demonstrates how food supply influences trade which results in macroeconomics, which in turn influences the decisions of nations with respect to their dealings with other nations, diplomatic and otherwise. The series has better things to be doing than making breast jokes.
smashwagon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I think that is the big thing, is that the character interaction in Maoyu is so lacking that it is simply not exciting to watch them talk to each other. Every episode is dedicated to some standard farming practice that is more or less obvious to someone from modern times that has read a book... Got fertile soil? rotate your crops to keep nutrients there... Got rocky soil? have you considered growing potatoes?... Got dry fields and not much rain? How about you try corn?

I think the idea of giving all the characters a lack of identity beyond their job title, or a non-generic backstory was a big mistake. Essentially they are relying on the Demon Lord to carry the entire show on her back but the extra weight on her back does nothing but counteract the weight of her chest.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
smashwagon wrote:
Every episode is dedicated to some standard farming practice that is more or less obvious to someone from modern times that has read a book... Got fertile soil? rotate your crops to keep nutrients there... Got rocky soil? have you considered growing potatoes?... Got dry fields and not much rain? How about you try corn?

Those practices are common now, but isn't this show set in the usual pseudo-medieval world? This kind of agricultural thought really did cause a revolution in food production.
littlefleur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
There are so many boob and fanservice shows out there for those who enjoy them you can hardly complain that one show which just happens to feature a large busted herione doesn't live up to your bouncy breast and crotch shot expectations. I'm finding a bit of a relief to be honest. Let those of us who aren't in the hentai/ecchi fanbase enjoy the few shows that don't have this.
So far I like this show a lot but I would agree that it is a bit hard to follow with all of the skipping around. It won't be on my list of favorite animes but it is enjoyable as a streaming show.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been totally hooked yet, and considering we're on episode 7 of a one cour show, I'm assuming that it's just not going to happen. I agree with others that this show really needs two cours. Even beyond that, however, I find that the show is not as deep as its lofty premise would like it to be. There are great ideas here, but almost none of them are being explored in a meaningful way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I expected the fan service in this series from the very beginning tbh considering ARMS is involved with the production. Otherwise, pretty good review imo especially related to the story part. I'm still enjoying this series to some degrees but with mixed reactions at times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
First couple episodes were somewhat enjoyable, but I dropped it like episode 5 or 6. They were just going on and on about dumb political stuff while I watched it for boobs and fighting demons and they went away from those things.

Our society is doomed. THIS is what the Continental Army died to protect.

yes, because one person in Towson, Maryland who is honest about what he wants totally represents our entire society

Hey, there's no problem with this so long as they don't complain about people watching Michael Bay films. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:

Maoyu is just not a boobie show. If people want to watch bland shallow fanservice and/or stupidly chaste Shounen romance then they can go watch another series.

Haha, chaste shounen............ The East-West difference was actually highlighted last night when Adult Swim/Toonami debuted Soul Eater showing the nosebleeds, while just an hour later, Symbionic Titan showed the male and female teenage leads in their boxers and morning underwear in the same bedroom but thought nothing of it (and they're not even romantically involved). Laughing
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
I think it's time a reader who read all 5 manga adaptations give their opinion.

I began reading Maoyu when i read the manga adaptation by Akira Ishida in July 2011. The premise was very interesting since it fantasy meets economics and i learn a lot things from it. Then i learn the series originally started on 2chan before the story grew and the author made it into a light novel series. When i found there were other manga adaptations, i decides to read those as well and each version tells the same story with the artist's own twist.

Maoyuu: Maou Yuusha - "Be mine, Hero" "I refuse!" - illustrated by Akira Ishida was a mix of action and edutainment with a shonen style.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Other side of the hill - illustrated by Hiro Touge was more romance and cuteness.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - illustrated by You Asami was part political thriller, part action with a seinen feel.

Maoyuu 4-Koma: You're Horrible, Maou-sama! - illustrated by Muronchi Nanatsu was mostly a comedy parody which extravegeted the cast traits.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Gaiden - Madoromi no Onna Mahou Tsukai - illustrated by Taiki Kawakami is a spin-off of the adventures of Mage/Witch Girl which has an action adventure style.

A Visual Guide to the Seven Versions of "Maoyu"

What i love about all of these adaptations is that how unique they tell the same story in a different way, how characters look and the feel of the story.

And that's why i see the anime as another adaptation of the story with the studio's own view. Even though i love the art, visuals and voice acting, i feel the anime is rushing things which leaves plot holes and might not give a proper explanation over all the characters, their growths and how they are affected because of the Hero and Demon Queen's plan to bring a true peace for the war.

All in all, i still like the anime and will continue watching until the end.

PS:@Carl
If your wishing to see the adventures of Mage/Witch Girl in the anime, spoiler[then i'm afraid that's not gonna happen. Like the novels, they never tell what she was doing except the Maoyu Gaiden manga since it does tell what she was doing at the Demon Realm before reuniting with the protagonists.]
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of this and wasn't impressed after it was a combination of boring exposition punctuated with boob jokes. I decided not to watch the second episode after the stupid scene at the end of the first with the queen and her "hero-doll."

After reading the review and the discussion, though, maybe I'll give it another try. If the stupid fanservice keeps up, though, I'm out.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I personally don't think Demon Queen should have displayed so much cleavage in episode one, it led some people to think that this show was going to be a boob show and it just isn't. It doesn't need acres of cleavage (or breast jokes for that matter) to work, but the fact that the show resorted to using them makes me wonder if perhaps the writers weren't confident that they could hold viewer's attention by other means (like plot and characters).

This was one of the more prominent problems with the show for me, along with the lack of engaging or unique characters and the tired "a bunch of women in a house with one guy" set up. I said in the Maoyu thread a few weeks back that I was going to watch episode 4, but I still haven't watched it. I probably will at some point. However, some of the remarks in the show's thread - about the more recent episodes - make me believe though that I won't want to finish it. I got the impression that the romantic rivalry for hero's affections is picking up a bit, which is unfortunate if true. It would mean that the show is playing to our most base instincts and desires rather than staying intellectually consistent throughout.

Also, before anyone responds by saying Demon Queen is a unique character - I think she is in the limited sense that her story is one that hasn't been told too many times. (Demonic character makes a decision to help save the day before the show even starts, rather than through some interaction with the other good guys that turns them from bad to good.) However, her physical and mental traits seem very consistent with a current Moe inspired trend of female leads - insanely attractive, massive boobs, clumsy and/or awkward, holding a paradoxically negative self body image, and naive or uneducated about sex. I'm not saying it is unacceptable to have such a character by any means. However, I think this is not exactly a refreshing character type to see absent some new innovation or personality traits which are otherwise outstanding.

Regarding dtm's point, I did get the impression it was going to be a boob show but that isn't what caused me to put the series on halt. I think it was a combination of that (and a few other issues), plus the fact that the show seems a little too "one note." I think smashwagon's comment kind of speaks to what I am thinking here.

smashwagon wrote:
Every episode is dedicated to some standard farming practice that is more or less obvious to someone from modern times that has read a book... Got fertile soil? rotate your crops to keep nutrients there... Got rocky soil? have you considered growing potatoes?... Got dry fields and not much rain? How about you try corn?

So the "one note" I am referring to is the basic formula of repeatedly teaching medieval rubes about modern theories and practices, which as others have commented, probably is difficult to do well in a 1 cour show, particularly when there are so many other interesting aspects of this fantasy world left to explore which are being glossed over.

smashwagon wrote:
I think the idea of giving all the characters a lack of identity beyond their job title, or a non-generic backstory was a big mistake. Essentially they are relying on the Demon Lord to carry the entire show on her back but the extra weight on her back does nothing but counteract the weight of her chest.

I am in agreement.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This has been one of my favorites of the new shows this season. I sympathize with the people that view the time-skips as a detriment to the cohesiveness of the story. It bothered me at first. As the story continues, though, I came to appreciate the time-skips and the sense of realistic progression they add to the story. The type of social and economic changes in this story wouldn't happen overnight. If the story were told without the gaps, it would come off as entirely unrealistic.

One of my favorite aspects of the story is the Hero's personal crisis over his place in the Demon King's new order.

dtm42 wrote:
I would like to see tighter writing and more focus on the lead duo, as their relationship looks to be more of a business contract rather than a genuine romance.

The relationship does start out, essentially, as a business contract. However, it is fairly clear that the Demon King had some attraction to the Hero from the get-go. It could be a bit better at showing the two growing closer, but in general, it does a pretty good job of indicating their growing closer over time. The fact that their relationship begins the way it does also lends some credibility to the Knight's actions, as she sees there as being room for her to finally express her feelings for the Hero, since the Demon King and Hero seem to be more business partners than lovers. spoiler[However, I think the most recent episode did a great job of tying those romantic threads together and presenting the feelings of all involved. The Knight, in particular, is now fully aware that the Hero and Demon King love each other, despite their timidity with each other. The Demon King is fully aware of the Knight's feelings, yet trusts her enough to ask her to take care of her love while she is away tending to things in the Demon Realm. It makes for a very interesting love triangle to spice up a well told story.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I must admit to being a little surprised that this show received a B+ overall. I thought that it was around B-, at best.

I've only watched the first three episodes, but I thought that Hero was a pretty lousy protagonist, and maybe I'm just tired of the harem-esque shows with empty male leads.

Although I've only watched three episodes, I didn't formally drop the show. I just... lost interest in what was happening. I *love* Spice and Wolf, and I don't mind economic-based shows, but the main characters just pushed me away. And, as others have said, the plot, while a good idea, is not being implimented very well IMO. Also, I agree with an earlier comment that the decision to refer to the characters by job titles causes more distance from the viewer (at least this viewer) than if they used more personable names.

It's too bad, because I wanted to like this, and it's not like it is doing anything *egregiously* wrong, but it didn't grab me, and some aspects mildly repelled me. I regard it as an opportunity missed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3