• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: MAOYU Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The first few posters already covered much of what I had to say. I want to like this; it has some good ideas and most of the economic stuff is pretty interesting. It just doesn't gel together well, though -- unlike Spice & Wolf and certainly not like LotGH. Events seem disjointed and often have no context, while the comedy/romance/drama sections are sometimes overlong and fall flat more often than not (or just make little sense). The characters are better in concept than as presented... they have potential but I haven't seen much of it used.

I admit I haven't quite finished six episodes yet, but that's sort of the problem. I really like some of the bits about potatoes etc., but as the series progresses I find it harder and harder to bring myself to actually sit through an episode to get to them. If it is only ~13 episodes I guess I'll continue in the hope that it comes together in the second half.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I follow the "main" manga adaptation (illus. Akira Ishida), and I can comment that the next few episodes (9+) will delve a lot further into politics and away from agriculture, if that's a problem driving people away from the show. Things will also start getting away spoiler[from "everything goes as planned!" i.e. a problem is magically/preemptively solved by Demon Queen's super-foresight,] which should make the events more exciting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3