• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inline Links to related news articles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about inline links to other news articles.
Hate it!
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Don't really like it
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Indifferent / it's ok
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
I find it usefulll
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
A lot of news websites now have links in between their paragraphs, to other similar news articles.

Not at the end, in the middle.

This isn't the same as ANN's current practice of linking to articles that we are referencing. These links are completely promotional, while on a similar topic to the current article (ie: both about military technology), they aren't otherwise related, and they aren't being referred to in the current article.

Personally, I dislike the practice, as a reader it annoys me. It looks like it's some sort of heading, and I find it distracting. But I'm interested in reading your opinions.

Here's an example from Discovery.com:

(I made it small, you can see the original article by clicking on Discover.com above)

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I despise those things - at the very least it should be boxed up to the side and clearly marked as what it is.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I also despise them. "Related articles" on the side or at the bottom of a column are one thing. Shoving links in the middle of an article for things that, for the most part, only share keywords and are barely connected, is horrible.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
They can be useful, but also somewhat confusing at times as it gives the impression the article has shifted with a sub-header and yet it's just a link to a related article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I hate them as well. If I'm done reading an article, anything of interest should be at the bottom. If not, I hit the back button and move on to the next story of interest. I rarely scroll back to the top of a page, especially one that requires me to scroll beyond one page.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I HATE! I HAAAAATE!

Seriously, don't do it. Just don't. They break the continuity of articles and distract from the actual thing that I'm reading about while adding little value for me.

At the very least, spare subscribers from them. Hell, jack the cost up to $3.50 a month if you have to, just keep those things away from me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind them, but I think ANN's articles are generally not long enough to have related news stories in the middle of an article. Of the first dozen currently on the front page, only 2 extend past a single screen in height, and almost all of them have embedded youtube videos. Why not just have related links at the bottom?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Holy hell, please don't put those in ANN; I detest them.

Or yeah, make them so subscribers at least don't see them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1