• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viewtiful Joe on Kids'WB

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
As long as people like Dee Bradley Baker and Greg Berger reprise their roles from the games (I couldn't STAND the Japanese voices) then I have no complaints.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately, Geneon is not 4Kids (*cough* Sonic X), so it could happen.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This is a surprise and yet, not a suprise at the same time.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens, since this is not one of 4Kids' animes. (Geneon, as I recall, has distribution rights) It's not like there's much to edit out aside from a few cuss words (and maybe the zippering up of jackets)
cubs2084

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I find this news terribly unsurprising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody know if the English VA's are the same as the ones from the games, those are pretty good. As long as there sold uncut and the VA is done well who cares when it is shown, but who knows.

Geneon does well as these things so I wouldnt worry, especially if u plan on buying them, not a problem.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hm...I have a reason to watch Kid's WB once again. I know it's Geneon and everything, but I'm hoping that Kid's WB doesn't require it dumbed down to a kid's level. And yes, I realize that Viewtiful Joe was a kid's show in Japan as well and that there isn't much to dumb down. I just hope they don't take the good cheesiness of the anime/game and replace it with stupid cheesiness.

And the voice actors have to come from the game, since they were so awesome. I cringed everytime I heard the Japanese VA mispronounce "Henshin-a-Go-Go, Baby!" as well as put the wrong emphasis on parts of the word. (Made it sound almost like a question.)
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens, since this is not one of 4Kids' animes. (Geneon, as I recall, has distribution rights) It's not like there's much to edit out aside from a few cuss words (and maybe the zippering up of jackets)

To follow a link in the Anime forum

Reuters
""Joe" will be "trans-created" for the kids block, including a new voice cast, script rewrites, edits to allow for appropriate flow and pacing of the story line and new music -- all designed to customize the series for a U.S. audience. Other Kids' WB! imports from Japan, including "Yu-Gi-Oh!" and "Pokemon," have gone through the same process."

By "new voice cast" I think they mean as opposed to the Japanese voice cast. This could be realy good or really bad, on one hand it could be making changes for the sake of making changes, on the other hand they could actually be improving the original.

New buzz word "trans-created". Sounds better than butchered.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Unlike Pokemon and Rockman.EXE (just to draw a comparison for video game anime) I wasn't too crazy about the original Japanese score, too slow for my tastes anyway, however I do recall Capcom having an English dub of the original Japanese opening ready (see the trailer for VFX Battle) so I hope they use that...but it's unlikely.

If Dee Bradley Baker isn't too caught up with American Dad and Kids Next Door then he better be playing Joe. Not Johnny Yong Bosch, not Kirby Morrow, not Joshua Seth, not Michael Adamthwaite ...only Dee!

Who else will say "Henshin A-gogo baby" so naturally?

Besides this is the same company that vouched for Cloverway to dub Sailormoon S and SuperS uncut before making their edits. Seeing how the game was advertised at prime-time and late night slots, how can one NOT expect an uncut DVD (as if seeing suggestive words such as "softcore p___" on signs and crappy music is gonna be missed that much)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
If Dee Bradley Baker isn't too caught up with American Dad and Kids Next Door then he better be playing Joe. Not Johnny Yong Bosch, not Kirby Morrow, not Joshua Seth, not Michael Adamthwaite ...only Dee!

Well, I wouldn't mind Johnny Yong Bosch simply because he's Johnny Yong freaking awesome Bosch. And believe it or not, I like Joshua Seth when he's partially psychopathic.

But hey, if Tom Kenny (the voice of SpongeBob SquarePants) and Bob Bergen (The newer voice of Looney Tunes) can do anime roles, then why can't Dee?
zeroligerx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
the best way for them to do the voices is just hire the actors who did the game cause it would easier and better since there more people who played the game before the seires aired in japan
Raimaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
man I don't know what you guys are talking about, I loved the way the original japanese pronounced the english words, S-Sloow, Mach speed, and Henshin aGo-go baby!. They are all so distinct that it was awesome. I Think it would be great if they kept those parts as close to the original as possible. I didn't like the cheesy way it sounded in the games, like it was some american comic or something. Its Anime and should stay pure.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Joyous day! More hackjobs for everyone!

-.-
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Raimaru wrote:
man I don't know what you guys are talking about, I loved the way the original japanese pronounced the english words, S-Sloow, Mach speed, and Henshin aGo-go baby!. They are all so distinct that it was awesome. I Think it would be great if they kept those parts as close to the original as possible. I didn't like the cheesy way it sounded in the games, like it was some american comic or something. Its Anime and should stay pure.

Ummm...hello? The VJ games had the best voice acting in a Capcom game since the latter Resident Evil/BioHazard games. The way VJ's humor flowed so natural you forget you're playing a good game at all, like one part where Joe has a letter from the Jado written in Japanese but Joe is all confused because he doesn't understand nor speak the language or the unforgettable Hulk Davidson (by the way Kevin Michael Richardson is the ONLY one who should be playing Hulk...he played Steve's Principal on American Dad and the elephant-shark thing on Lilo and Stitch) line where he makes a reference to Megaman. Viewtiful Joe is SUPPOSED to be ridden with humor and cheesy jokes, it's a parody on sentai/tokusatsu shows, especially those by Shoutarou Ishimori (thank you IMDb).

Not all Japanese acting is gold and not all voices are suited either, that's usually an excuse when the English dub is a steaming crock *cough*4Kids*cough* out of spite. The game was originally in English (not unusual as the same went for the Biohazard series) and the actors were well cast...save for Alastor. As strange as this sounds being an import about to be dubbed, it's about time we hear Viewtiful Joe in its original language.

I will however miss the middle finger in his pose...
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm more worried how their ganna handel Sprocket's Tipper. >_>;;

But seriously. Enjoy the hackjob. *Finally decides to continue importing the R2s.*
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Raimaru wrote:
I didn't like the cheesy way it sounded in the games, like it was some american comic or something. Its Anime and should stay pure.

It is supposed to be cheesy. The entire look is based off of a fusion of movies and American comics. Do you realize that is one of the reasons why the game was good: the fact that it was cheesy and still awesome at the same time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2