• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Evangelion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Remember the Anime Next con report?

"Finally, Williams stated that having a show air on Cartoon Network is one of the best things that can happen to a property"

So it seems only natural that they'd try to get one of their crown jewel titles on, especially since it looks like ADV could probably use the help right now. It doesn't hurt that AS editing standards appear to be at the point that they can probably get away with most everything that would've kept Eva off/edited in years past.

I hope it gets enough attention to make this a success.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
80% of anime fans? Hardly. In fact, I still come across many anime viewers who have only heard of the show distantly, or have at most watched one or two episodes. I think that re-introducing this show to American fans, at a time when anime fandom is so high, is a great idea and I can't wait to hear about people's reactions to it.

I also dread the soon to follow Edit Lists :(
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Good grief, you people are all pessimistic. I'm willing to bet you will be all pleasantly surprised at the finished product.

For those who think it's too late, it's never too late to get hooked on "the classics." Hell, this could even be a "bridge" between the stuck-up Narutards and moe addicts, and the crumugeonly pedantic farts of the old school (which I consider myself to be one of, if given the choice)

Oh, and I put the over/under of 1st episode edits at 3.5

I will literally take bets on this.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Cowpunk wrote:
"So little newbee you like Evangelion, here try..."

"... Urotsokidoji."

*cackle*
Oh, I can see it now. Front page of ANN announces "Legion Of The Overfiend" to air on Adult Swim. Cartoon Network will have come of age then. Laughing

Atleast it will be an Adult Swim, but not the kind I feel safe in.

Anyhoot, I still have all 8 VHS and 6+2(OG verison of the last two volumes), so I'll still watch it, just to edit hunt. Ep 17 in the last 10 minutes are going to be fun. Heck 18 will be fun too. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iria51

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
You know, I could ask 100 random kids on the streets if they have seen Evangelion and I'll bet most would think it had something to do with their local church. Most hard core anime fans have already seen this show, but everyone else hasn't. I think it is a good addition to the CN's anime line up and a great opportunity for new anime fans to see this classic series for the first time.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Now if only AS would get Ranma 1/2, I'd actually eb in heaven. (I'll admit, the first two seasons would need major editing for all the brief nudity).

Wait...the edit they usually do wouldn't make any sense....Usually they add on a bra or something. If they did that to girl-ranma, it would totally mess up the fact that he doesn't care about what girls need to wear, and in fact, it would be kind of creepy....
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
anyone know if this will be the original version or the recently-released platinum edition?
It will most likely be a version similar to the "Toonami Version" of "Tenchi Muyo" OVA. Wink

thecactusman17 wrote:
I also dread the soon to follow Edit Lists Sad

First off, there is no chance that it would go on Toonami, because some episodes just can't be edited that much without seriously detracting from the series. The only logical place it could air in any form is on Adult Swim. That said, I highly doubt it will be severely edited. I'd say that Adult Swim could get away with most of the stuff in Eva. Sure, nudity will be edited (i.e. no more nipples, but that's it), and maybe some blood will be removed. However, it should air mostly intact. The scene I'm worried about is spoiler[when Shinji and Unit 01 burst out of the inside of the shadow angel (can't remember the name or episode number) and there's a river of blood flowing down the streets...]
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
anyone know if this will be the original version or the recently-released platinum edition?
It will most likely be a version similar to the "Toonami Version" of "Tenchi Muyo" OVA. Wink

thecactusman17 wrote:
I also dread the soon to follow Edit Lists Sad

First off, there is no chance that it would go on Toonami, because some episodes just can't be edited that much without seriously detracting from the series. The only logical place it could air in any form is on Adult Swim. That said, I highly doubt it will be severely edited. I'd say that Adult Swim could get away with most of the stuff in Eva. Sure, nudity will be edited (i.e. no more nipples, but that's it), and maybe some blood will be removed. However, it should air mostly intact. The scene I'm worried about is spoiler[when Shinji and Unit 01 burst out of the inside of the shadow angel (can't remember the name or episode number) and there's a river of blood flowing down the streets...]

If they can show all of Champloo unedited (violence-wise), then that'd be no sweat.

I think it'll be great to have a show like that air. Sure it's weird as f**k (I thought FLCL made more sense), but it's still enjoyable to watch on both a philosophical and entertainment level. After all, with the live-action EVA coming out in a couple of years, [as] figured it'd be best to air it now so more people would see it in the theaters.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Iria51 wrote:
You know, I could ask 100 random kids on the streets if they have seen Evangelion and I'll bet most would think it had something to do with their local church. Most hard core anime fans have already seen this show, but everyone else hasn't. I think it is a good addition to the CN's anime line up and a great opportunity for new anime fans to see this classic series for the first time.

Right. AS is doing pretty well with the ratings. I'd have trouble believing that the people watching are only hardcore anime fans. It'd take a lot more than just the avid anime lovers to sustain those kind of numbers.

Besides, anything is better than Scryed.
Lix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I've only been an anime fan for a few years, and I have yet to see Evangelion. Now I guess I'll see what all the fuss is about....
kureejiieshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
Now if only AS would get Ranma 1/2, I'd actually eb in heaven. (I'll admit, the first two seasons would need major editing for all the brief nudity).

Wait...the edit they usually do wouldn't make any sense....Usually they add on a bra or something. If they did that to girl-ranma, it would totally mess up the fact that he doesn't care about what girls need to wear, and in fact, it would be kind of creepy....

What about when a change goes from female to male and back... lol "your shirt it red now" "now its black" "now its red"...

The amazing blinking bra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Sketchee wrote:
Iria51 wrote:

Right. AS is doing pretty well with the ratings. I'd have trouble believing that the people watching are only hardcore anime fans. It'd take a lot more than just the avid anime lovers to sustain those kind of numbers.

Besides, anything is better than Scryed.

They're getting great ratings with their comedy shows like Family Guy and Futurama. The anime on AS, however, seems to be lucky to get a quarter of the ratings of the other stuff.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

They're getting great ratings with their comedy shows like Family Guy and Futurama. The anime on AS, however, seems to be lucky to get a quarter of the ratings of the other stuff.

That I knew, but they're doing well enough that they're not relying on just hardcore anime fans. Most cable stations aren't doing as well in these timeslot. (Though by the time AS is on, most of the big cable stations have reruns)
PrimitivePrimate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
You know i just realized why on earth ADV would allow Adult swim to show Eva, think about it like this. If the show gets popular with its now wide area showing. It will lay the ground work to get a movie studio to help with the distribution and help pay for part of the making of the 3 to 5 part movie series of the live action Evangelion movie they want to make .... I mean everyone here must know about WETA workshop (the guys who did Lord of the rings) have being doing preliminary work on eva for the last 2 years (drawings, basic 3d models) and Peter jackson said in an interview once that he was thrilled to have WETA work on a live action eva (because it was broadcasted in Australia and New Zealand with subtitles when it was also shown in japan). Just think about it, how do you build popularity for a show that all the anime fans want to see made into a live action movie? you put it on the television block that beats out even Leno and Letterman in numbers of viewers for the biggest most important demographic of tv and movie viewers.

If this takes off im soooooo hoping WB or FOX takes notice and helps them off with making a live action eva
Ferquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:

I would think it'd be the Platinum edition to help drive DVD sales, and because it's so well-restored, the show looks almost done in digi-cel. It'd be a stupid idea to broadcast the old washed-out version with the unfixed dubs. I just hope AS actually puts in the sign subtitles. 'Cause even though I've got all of Paranoia Agent on DVD, I can see where a lot of people are gonna get lost without sign translations in Eva (or at least miss some good gags, i.e. spoiler[naked Shinji and toothpicks]) like they've been doing now with PA.

[edit]Oh, and yeah, to help push the live-action movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5