• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Im lucky if i find a place that sells manga let alone has an uber cheap sale on any of it.

sayin that the last place i went to did hae a bunch of stuff for about what would be 3$ a pop with a buy 2 get 1 free deal also in place so I cant complain too much i guess.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
- Vol. 2-16 of Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M (a title that I started reading through the library and am getting really into as of late). A couple of those are getting up there on Amazon, especially Vol. 16!

Oh man! Someone else getting into this series! You've no idea how happy this makes me! Vol 20 was the most I paid for a single manga, and it's like I broke the dam and the price dropped significantly afterwards. I was also unaware that Otakon would have a good number of copies floating around, dammit. But it was brand new and not an ex-library. But 5 of my books are, and they hardly look read! No one must've been renting the poor things Sad
But since I knew people who worked at Diamond, I may have gotten a good 8 volumes for free (including 16), and got several others through a trade, so also for almost free. I must've only actually paid for 4 volumes, only one of which was over normal MSRP. Normally I'd be upset paying as much as a new anime for a single volume of manga, except it was Firefighter Daigo, and that's just such a good series that I couldn't be upset, and I'm still not, it's one of those amazingly addictive action manga that knows damn well what it's doing and is a fast page turner for sure. As a direct result of reading Firefighter Daigo, I now also consider firemen to be a turn on. Yes, Daigo was so awesome that I now consider all firemen sexy by default of being firemen (though I still find nerds more physically attractive). Easily my favorite action shonen (my second fav shonen after Hikaru no Go).
Go read it people!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Yeap, Daigo is awesome! I got lucky and was able to buy a complete set in great condition for a very, very reasonable price.

My last lucky buy was a brand new Four Shojo Stories for €6. I already got a copy, so I think I'll donate it to the Mangakissa next time I visit. Whenever I donate something, something good happens. It's like instant karma.

Donate a copy of Wild Com you found in a bargin bin for €2 -> find nearly €20 in small change during your second visit to the dealer room -> donate half of that to the library -> find a (then still OOP) Swallowing the Earth and some other nice stuff in another bargain bin and save €25.

Donate complete set of They Were Eleven comics (you bought for €3 years ago) -> find a brand new copy of Four Shojo Stories for €6 right after > donate Four Shojo Stories > win lottery???
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
YATTA!

got me kurosagi corpse delivery service 5 for £8 off ebay. Imstarting to change the way i do this oop book thing to just getting what i can now and filling in the gaps later. with that in mind i think i'll start getting hold of slam dunk because i love sports mangas and its inoue doing it.

woot!
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Oh man! Someone else getting into this series! You've no idea how happy this makes me!

I was never interested enough in this title back when it was coming out, but I randomly looked it up in the library and discovered how Vol. 4 was no longer listed in the library system. Then I realized how nobody translated the series online beyond Ch. 1. Then I spotted the discarded copy where they were trying to sell used books (it wasn't in THAT bad condition! Sad ) And so my mad rush to read it began.

One of the appealing factors for me is that it's a relatively fast read. I can blow through a volume within 30 minutes, which helps me speed through my library manga backlog. But wow, the raw emotion in this title really moved me. I sometimes teared up when civilians thanked Daigo from the bottom of their hearts, and felt my heart swell up from within. You know a title's special when that happens.

He's a miracle worker, that Daigo.

(Funny how I know Masahito Soda from Capeta before reading Daigo. The way things work sometimes.)

classicalzawa wrote:
But it was brand new and not an ex-library. But 5 of my books are, and they hardly look read! No one must've been renting the poor things Sad

I wish I was more experimental when I was younger. Man did this title sell like crap.

My library either never bought Vol. 20 or it was removed from the system long ago, so I bought a copy of Vol. 20 from a comic shop I frequent in Toronto for US MSRP. I just need 1 & 17-19 now.

classicalzawa wrote:
As a direct result of reading Firefighter Daigo, I now also consider firemen to be a turn on. Yes, Daigo was so awesome that I now consider all firemen sexy by default of being firemen (though I still find nerds more physically attractive). Easily my favorite action shonen (my second favorite shonen after Hikaru no Go).
Go read it people!

Laughing You got a good chuckle out of me with that one.

This is proof that Daigo influences lives, people. Try and read it if you can!
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
YATTA!

got me kurosagi corpse delivery service 5 for £8 off ebay. Imstarting to change the way i do this oop book thing to just getting what i can now and filling in the gaps later. with that in mind i think i'll start getting hold of slam dunk because i love sports mangas and its inoue doing it.

woot!

Do you want me to get you volume 10 from Forbidden Planet? I've heard it's fairly OOP on the web...
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
If you can id really apreciate it as I've not seen anywhere selling it for a reasonable price yet.

I may get some cash together in the new year and hit up manchester to see if there's anything there.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
YATTA!

woot!

Nice find. And I would definitely recommend Slam Dunk. Have read up to volume 10 so far and it is really good. It starts off as a comedy which is more aimed at teenagers in my opinion but once they get into the games etc, it gets really good. You can also see Inoue's artwork developing into what we now see in Vagabond and Real. I now consider myself a huge Inoue fan and will buy any future works from him.

Hopefully you manage to get volume 10 - luckily it is only a single volume that is OOP. It is also good to know that they have release volumes 24 out of 32 and have the majority of the rest scheduled every other month into next year. I am confident this will get finished despite it's lack of popularity

NeburPT wrote:
For Kentaro Miura's fans: it looks like the one-shot Japan, one of his early works, has gone out of print but is still easy to find at a very affordable price (I have just ordered a new copy for less than a euro, the shipping will actually be more expensive than the book itself), so get it while you can. His other one-shot available in english, King of Wolves, is still in print but you could also check it out while it's available, since they're both more obscure titles published by Dark Horse that probably don't sell that well to get a reprint in the first place...

Thanks for the heads up. I have never heard of either of them but have just picked them up. I have been known to enjoy shockingly bad manga, so I am not afraid to pick them up - I only have to look at my Gantz collection to realise that Wink

If anyone is thinking about collecting it, it seems Blade of the Immortal volume 2 is becoming hard to find (although there are still volume available at reasonable prices). I get the impression it is a popular series by Dark Horse so maybe they will do a reprint at some point.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Cool I've got up to vol.3 of blade of the immortal. the series is coming to an end soon according to a recent article on here.

Im quite keen to get slam dunk as like you say i'll be able to see the art develop, its like with Hajime no ippo if i go back and look at the early artwork and how it is now there's a very noticeable difference and im a fan of the inoue stuff I've read so far.

I've been pretty lucky with OOP volumes as of late so I've decided to adjust my way of buying things to the way ReaKon mentioned earlier, get what you can and fill in the gaps later as you come across em hence the reason i used some cash i got from a birthday gift and bought up all the volumes of gto the early years by tokyopop i could find.

Oh that waterstones order I made in the small hope that they'd actually come through looks to be close to death. After weeks of nothing i got a couple of emails saying they couldnt find the titles and have put an order in with their supplier. Next step usually is the email saying "although we said it was available within a few days turns out we never had it at all, oops, sorry"
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
haha - I assumed as much when I hadn't received my copy either. Was a slim chance when I put the order in I guess.

Getting them as and when is the way to go. You would be even more bummed in a year or so when you came back and found even more volumes gone OOP
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
lol yeah, now all i need is more money so I can buy up all the ones i want. Gotta get a move on with berserk as i ran the risk of having issues with volumes 15-19 but saw the way the wind was blowing and jumped on em asap. I couldnt live with myself if i let my favorite manga slip past me and the only reason im not up to date is because of all the scrambling round to try and get caught up across the board.

Lesson being scale back manga purchasing rather than take a break because you'll pay for it later.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I completely lost site of Berserk. I am up to vol 13 and I didn't see the OOP train hit it - and it was fast. I am still in the hope that it will get a reprint as it is so popular. I am sure it won't end up like Eden or MPD Psycho at least.

I did just read on the DH forums that they are looking into doing some nice omnibus releases of Berserk. Would be nice if they did. The quality in the volumes they currently bring out don't reflect the price tag in my opinion. I will still buy them though as it is a great story with great artwork.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
yeah i agree about the price point but dark horse have always charged a little more for their manga, maybe it has something to do with being a US comic publisher first rather than a dedicated seller of manga which most of the other seem to be.

They were an early adopter so im quite fond of em but they peeve me a bit with these print issues, seems daft to have oop volumes of a series you're only about 10 volumes in to.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
But wow, the raw emotion in this title really moved me. I sometimes teared up when civilians thanked Daigo from the bottom of their hearts, and felt my heart swell up from within. You know a title's special when that happens.

Man, I have been trying to think of a reason to describe just why I loved Daigo so much, and I think you came up with the perfect description. When he saves the lives of ordinary, everyday people, seeing how deeply affected they were by Daigo is just something special. He doesn't seem to run into anyone who is a jerk about it just to up the drama and force it (like a less mangaka might've done), I doubt you'd ever meet someone on the street who wouldn't be thankful to a firefighter if they had saved him, so there's really nothing wrong with just making everyone thankful. Especially when it makes you so happy every single time.
Sure, I've read or watched other anime/manga where the emotion sweeps you up, but I gotta say that in terms of positive emotions, no manga did it more consistently and better throughout the series than Firefighter Daigo does. And after seeing some of the insane things that seem to pop up around Daigo (lol, and at the start, the fire station was all "nothing happens here ever", clearly they were just waiting for Daigo), it's a nice way to take a good breathe of air from all the craziness. And then Daigo is usually in the hospital for a chapter. Seriously, would anyone else love to see an arm wrestling match between Daigo and Onizuka? I doubt I'd know the outcome from the start, I bet it'd end in a stalemate, but boy would that be a match to see!
Anyway as soon as I finished it, I knew it was in my top 5 (now my top 6 as a result of Twin Spica and my refusal to drop any of the existing 5 from my list), but I could never quite say why it was, because although the action scenes are quick, fun, and easy to read, there was definitely more than that to it.

Quote:
I wish I was more experimental when I was younger. Man did this title sell like crap.

Same man. I have very few manga left from my early years of collecting. I should at least be so happy that my younger self was wise enough to buy Maison Ikkoku despite the boring cover art just because it was by Ranma 1/2's mangaka (to be fair, I loved the content so much that subsequent volumes were easy buys). Ranma 1/2 is no longer in my collection because Maison Ikkoku is so much more enduring. And like 30 years later, the humor is still awesome and timeless! And it's not just made of up of "Pervert! *slap*" jokes either.
But I also remember passing up on Please Save My Earth, Fruits Basket, Kodocha (I would say Daigo and Banana Fish, but bookstores near me never really carried them), and lots of others to buy things with better advertising that I thought were more popular and therefore of higher quality (Pfft! My younger self was so funny! It actually believed that Princess Ai was the next big thing that everyone was reading just because Stu Levy advertised the hell out of it! But it was smart enough to not buy it because it was shojo) With the exception of Basara, I've mostly corrected the mistakes of the past (I think), but I also don't really recall seeing Basara in my bookstores either, and it was before I just bought everything online. I especially didn't buy shojo though, I was unaware it wasn't all petty arguing like Peach Girl is. The Princess Tutu anime changed my mind on shojo though.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
Just managed to order the last 2 volumes of kare kano i need so once they show up that'll be capped off. The volumes of GTO early years and Welcome to the NHK i ordered have arrived so im officially done with collecting welcome to the NHK wich is great considering id just about given up on being able to get it.

The postage on these books is whats killin me sometimes, if i were in america id have much less trouble getting em. Will need to get on with berserk and kurosagi, fingers crossed my xmas book order is gonna cover alot of ground this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 76