• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
@Zepsy that's great, then there is hope for other OOP titles.
So any other titles you wish join the digital release bandwagon?
I'd like for Viz to release old JUMP titles in digital, I have always been interested in reading Midori no makibao... Other manga I CAN'T understand why they never released is Kenichi, I mean I know it must be because of the constant fan-service but maybe in digital.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
^I can't imagine Viz going for an old horse racing title of all things, they have a hard enough trying to sell new sports series, can't imagine them bothering with an old one
I am surprised no one has bothered to get the Kenichi manga though. I can't imagine fan service has anything to do with it, I mean, Viz is releasing Tenjo Tenje uncensored. It is a Shonen Sunday title though, does Viz have exclusive on Shonen Sunday? I'm not 100% sure there. But it would certainly beef up their somewhat meager SS lineup and I can't possibly imagine it not selling. That line has like 5 titles currently coming out (Arata, Case Closed, Hayate, Rumiko Takahashi stuff, and soon to be Magi)

As for my digital release bandwagon wishes BASARA omfg please Basara! Now that I have read it, I understand the praise, it is really awesome. And very OOP, dammit! I guess that, unlike Firefighter, you can at least find scans for Basara. Oh and Banana Fish, with Viz's new focus towards manga for adults, I'm really surprised they don't have this. It might be a shojo, but it sure doesn't look act or feel like one. And I'd love for older things like Sanctuary to come out, but it's possible they no longer have the rights to it. Actually, Banana Fish was old enough to have come out in Pulp magazine, maybe they lack the rights to that too now? Oh and Maison Ikkoku needs it big time. It looks like their unflipped Ranma 1/2 omnibuses might be to help it format to digital, maybe start off some Takahashi stuff for all I know. But those four are high on my hit list.
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I think Viz has the exclusive rights to anything Shogakukan-related since Viz is owned by Shogakukan and Shueisha. Though there are some cases like Tenjho Tenge or GANTZ were they weren't interested to publish the titles (Both had a LOT of fan-service) then Viz rescued Tenjho Tenge, but Tenjho Tenge is a Seinen manga and Kenichi is shonen, that's the problem.. They either heavily censor it or they'd have to put a +18 label on a shonen.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I am surprised no one has bothered to get the Kenichi manga though. I can't imagine fan service has anything to do with it, I mean, Viz is releasing Tenjo Tenje uncensored. It is a Shonen Sunday title though, does Viz have exclusive on Shonen Sunday? I'm not 100% sure there. But it would certainly beef up their somewhat meager SS lineup and I can't possibly imagine it not selling. That line has like 5 titles currently coming out (Arata, Case Closed, Hayate, Rumiko Takahashi stuff, and soon to be Magi)

No one's "bothered" to get it because it's 51 volumes long and ongoing. o_0 Also it's a Shogakukan title, so I'm pretty sure only Viz has the option to license it anyways.

As far as what I'd like Viz to add to their digital offerings... hm. I never read digital unless there's no other alternative, so I suppose I'd like to see them fill out their entire OOP back-list, really. And maybe put up what they have of some of their hiatus'd series. I can understand why they haven't done that yet, but I'm really hoping they do do it someday. >_>
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
But waaay before it was a 51 volume series they could have picked it up multiple times.
Once was in 2006 with the anime adaptation (They picked Hayate) it was around 20 volumes, then in 2009 when Funimation acquired it AND they said they were surprised with how well it performed (it was around 35 volumes around that time).. And well Kenichi is always ranking high in the online manga readers, so the demand is there, I couldn't see it not selling..
But maybe Viz just doesn't want to take the risk because it really has a lot of volumes.

Is really the same case as To Love Ru a very popular manga that would have sell good but they didn't pick because they don't pick ecchi... Heck To Love Ru has the plus of being from a "popular author" for some reason Black Cat sold very well in the US.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
^Well if it doesn't perform well, they could always be jerks and drop it like they did to Gintama, but something would've come out at least I suppose? Also, Gintama is 50 volumes too now, and even if it wasn't when they picked it up, why would Viz have expected an uber popular shonen jump series to end in Japan any time soon? And Kenichi has the fanservice bonus on top of it.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
2006 - Kenichi is 20 volumes long (and ongoing!) and a sports series! There's an anime adaption going on in Japan, but it doesn't matter in a big way because legal streaming anime is still in its infancy. I can see why they didn't pick it up.
2009 - Kenichi is 35 volumes long (and ongoing!) and a sports series! We're in the middle of the bleak time right after the manga bubble popped. Funimation airs it on its channel, but guess what? No one watches the Funi channel, so it doesn't matter. (Funimation can say they were "surprised" by the sales of the anime all they like, but that doesn't really mean anything. They could have had low expectations.) I can see why they didn't pick it up.
2013 - Kenichi is 51 volumes long (and ongoing!) and a sports series! Though we've weathered the bursting of the manga bubble, we're still nowhere close to where we once were. And seriously, 51+ volumes are more than a little daunting without the support of constant advertisements that other long-running shounen get from their anime running alongside them. Kenichi doesn't even have that going for it. I can see why they haven't picked it up.

Ranking high in online scanlation websites doesn't necessarily equate to having high sales. Sometimes I'm frankly kind of puzzled by how series rank online. (Why does Cage of Eden keep coming in before Attack on Titan? o_0 Not that Cage of Eden does poorly, but I'm sure everyone knows what a smash-out hit Attack on Titan has been for Kodansha.) One of the most popular manga in America, Sailor Moon, normally isn't even close to the top contenders.

Honestly, if I had to make a guess, it'd be length+content (and by that I mean that it's a sports series, not that it's got fanservice) is what's keeping Viz from giving it a shot. And honestly, I can't blame them. And the longer we go, and the more volumes stack up, the less and less of a chance it has of getting licensed.

classicalzawa wrote:
^Well if it doesn't perform well, they could always be jerks and drop it like they did to Gintama, but something would've come out at least I suppose? Also, Gintama is 50 volumes too now, and even if it wasn't when they picked it up, why would Viz have expected an uber popular shonen jump series to end in Japan any time soon? And Kenichi has the fanservice bonus on top of it.

No publisher wants to do that. There's no point in licensing a series if the feeling is "Well, it'll probably bomb, but we can just stop publishing it in a few years when it becomes a money sink after the first few volumes! Yeah, great plan, fans will love it!" Putting a series on hiatus is a horrible decision to have to make. Financially, it means that the title has likely been loosing quite a bit of money up to that point. PR-wise, those 300 people who were still buying it will hold it against you forever, and make sure everyone else knows about it, too. Rolling Eyes

Pretty sure Viz thought Gintama would be a hit when they licensed it. They weren't banking on it to end quickly, they were banking on it to sell well in the US. They lost that gamble, obviously.
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.. Kenichi is as much as a sport series as Dragon Ball or Ranma are, we all know is a fighting shonen -.-

And remember Viz can't cancel Shogakukan series, or so I read in this very same topic.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Yeah.. Kenichi is as much as a sport series as Dragon Ball or Ranma are, we all know is a fighting shonen -.-

And remember Viz can't cancel Shogakukan series, or so I read in this very same topic.

Martial arts. Sports. Same diff. Laughing Honestly, the most I've seen of this series is short snippets while my younger brother was watching it, and it always seemed to be centered around learning such-and-such martial art to compete in something, so I assumed it was more along the lines of a traditional sports-tournament series than some sort of magic-fighting thing like Dragon Ball. Anyways, even if you take out the sports series strike, the length and lack of long-running anime series points still stand.

And the Shogakukan thing-- That would be even more of a reason to be hesitant to license it, actually. They wouldn't even be allowed to drop it if it became a real stinker. Having to put a series on hiatus is bad, but to be forced to keep something that's bleeding money going on for years, perhaps indefinitely... get enough of those in your roster and you're looking at serious trouble. That's why companies start spreading out the releases for series that aren't doing so great; it gives them more time to absorb the loss.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf's lost palettes (seriously, how do you misplace an entire palette of goodies?) are being unboxed and so far their website is listing a lot of OOP Tokyopop stuff. There's not discount, but dude, some of these are really OOP, MSRP is a good price for some of them at this point. I've nabbed one of their two Battle Royale Ultimate 4's myself. I see stuff like Future Diary, GTO, Fruits Basket, Slayers novels, and other stuff listed.
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Damn.. >.> Sooo close to having that damn Gto early years volume 8.. They have volume 7 Anime hyper
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, they have The Kindaichi Case Files 7!

Anyone willing to get that for me? I have a 2001 Nights v1 to trade for it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Damn.. >.> Sooo close to having that damn Gto early years volume 8.. They have volume 7 Anime hyper

ditto, that thing is such a pain to find
manjiorin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Bit of a lurker here but decided to start posting. *waves*

I love stumbling upon really OOP manga for really cheap, so imagine my joy in my local Half Price Books yesterday when I spotted a cart labeled "Manga Blowout $1.99 and up!" Not everything was OOP but I did get:

Vampire Knight 1-7
Let Dai 6, 10 (I'd already picked up a big chunk on another trip and then spotted these.)
Gintama 1
Planates 2

...All for 2 dollars a piece. Very Happy This is the same store where I found the vast majority of PSME for 2 bucks a piece too. People have no idea what they're getting rid of!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 76