• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Just noticed that Amazon now has pretty much every OOP Berserk volume back in stock. Guess DH finally decided to do another run. Gonna be hard on my wallet since I need 16 on and they all seem to be 14.99 each.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
@geishageek

I'm not into Berserk so I don't know how many volumes there are, but TRSI is showing the first 37 volumes for $11.24 each (volumes 2 & 14 are out of stock). You could probably get them without shipping or sales tax. That might help your finances a bit.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
^And here I thought you owned everything under the sun! I am genuinely surprised, truly, I am!

I'm also surprised Dark Horse is reprinting things, I thought they enjoyed screwing their fans over and never finishing publishing things. At least with Berserk, they have the excuse that Kentaro Miura is highly distracted by Idolm@ster, but c'mon, man, finish up Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service!!! They're doing omnibuses, yet somehow still ignoring the series overall, it's baffling (and it's done in Japan, they've published 14 of 21 volumes).
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
@alan45

That sure does. I already have the first 15, so for the remaining 22 current volumes are just under $250 from Rightstuf. I tend to not look there for Manga first since I'm typically preordering 20 to 30 books at a time and they've been pretty crappy about partial order shipping to me lately, so they are not my top choice for manga, even though usually cheaper.

This on the other hand, is all in one shot and all together. Hmmmm.... just may place that order. Will now only leave me with 1 unfinished series on my shelves left to complete. What a great feeling...
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
^Do you not count ongoing ones as "unfinished", or are you just not currently collecting any manga series right now? I'm going to assume that something like One Piece will be "unfinished" for at least another decade anyway.

I'm collecting so many series right now, uggh...at least 20, easily. Though some, like Real and Ooku, are slow to update (maybe 1 vol a year in Japan).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Nah, I don't have everything. Granted it was possible to order everything each month when I started. But even then I didn't buy Pokémon or Dragon Ball manga from Viz or the stuff in the Previews "adult" catalog.

Quote:
I'm collecting so many series right now, uggh...at least 20, easily.

Piker, I counted a bit over 100 titles in my active manga shelves. While it is possible some of them may have been completed or discontinued by the publisher, I also have several number 1's on pre-order. Even with that many titles it is not close to everything.

Concerning Berserk, I'm not really into big over muscled men beating the crap out of each other. Wink

@geishageek

TRSI is getting much better about partial shipments. Recently I ordered a few in stock anime programs and pre-ordered volume 2 & 3 of Bakamonogatari. They sent me the anime immediately. I just got the volume 2 novel yesterday and volume 3 remains on pre-order along with Nisamonogatari. I think the problem with partial shipments was a glitch in their reprogramming of the store a year or so ago.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^And here I thought you owned everything under the sun! I am genuinely surprised, truly, I am!

I'm also surprised Dark Horse is reprinting things, I thought they enjoyed screwing their fans over and never finishing publishing things. At least with Berserk, they have the excuse that Kentaro Miura is highly distracted by Idolm@ster, but c'mon, man, finish up Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service!!! They're doing omnibuses, yet somehow still ignoring the series overall, it's baffling (and it's done in Japan, they've published 14 of 21 volumes).

I just want the rest of Bride of the Water God.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

Glad they are working for you at least. While I've ordered less from them disc wise since I just don't have the room to collect everything anymore, I try to at least keep orders by month now, so even if they hold the order, it's not months until they ship. I even offered to pay shipping for my last partial just to get the books, but the they wouldn't budge. Told me the order would ship only when everything was in stock and I should group orders by delivery date. The order was like 10 in stock books and 2 preorders, well within their 50% in stock for partial ship terms.

Back on topic, I just realized I also need the last 3 volumes of another series. My dog ate the 3rd volume years ago and was so annoyed I never ordered the rest. I know at least 1 volume was OOP and the series wasn't good enough to drop the crazy price people wanted for the OOP volume. The title escapes me at the moment. Think it had Angel in the title with a very androgynous girl on the covers.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly

It has been almost two years since volume 17 came out. I think it is now on the abandoned list.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@st_owly

It has been almost two years since volume 17 came out. I think it is now on the abandoned list.

I know. And they were doing so well with it! It's finished in Korea at 24 volumes so they're nearly 3/4 of the way through as well...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
If people pushed really hard they might just come out with one or two additional volumes. But then it would still not do well and they would cancel it again. The chances of an additional seven volumes are nil. Put it away with the other abandoned series or get rid of it. Mad Mad
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
So my exlibrary Basara 21 arrived with a faded spine so I bought another copy before the prices skyrocketed again that arrived today. If anyone would like my old copy for just the price of postage let me know. Aside from the spine and some yellowing, it looks like it wasn't read very much, so no tears or creases, etc.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
Does anybody have any leads on the following books for (somewhat) reasonable prices and in good condition? eBay came up dry the last couple of times I checked.

- Banana Fish Vol. 8-9
- Barefoot Gen Vol. 4
- Eden: It's an Endless World! Vol. 1
- GTO: Great Onizuka Vol. 1
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm still looking to fill out my English-language runs of the following titles, both of which were discontinued in English before they finished catching up to the Japanese releases:

Fire Investigator Nanase: I have volumes 1-4 of this 7 volume series. As far as I know, volume 5 was released by CMX in 2010, and I'd love to find out whether Nanase ever shacks up with the serial arsonist who lit the fire that killed her parents.

The Five Star Stories
: I have volumes 1-18 of Toyspress' English-language edition, which split each of the original Japanese volumes up into 2-3 smaller books (they're so thin that the first few volumes were actually staple-bound). I missed out on volumes 19-26, and now a couple of yahoos on eBay are selling them for 90-150 bucks a pop.

If anyone has any leads, let me know!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate

Sorry, but the only copies of Five Star Stories I've ever seen are the ones I had to special order as they came out. I just wish we could get the additional volumes that have come out in Japan since then. Unfortunately, I think Toypress was the author's own imprint.

None of the issues I have are staple bound. You may have an earlier print run.

Concerning Fire Investigator Nanase I wasn't buying that series. However, I was buying several CMX titles. They cancelled everything solicited between March and June of 2010. The titles solicited in the February Diamond Previews were delivered in June and July of 2010. Apparently they had already been printed when DC pulled the plug on CMX. Do you know when volume 5 was solicited?

Last edited by Alan45 on Sat May 13, 2017 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 76