• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Bookstore Chain Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
So, we're only losing some locations? Not all?

Borders lists the stores that are closing.

WSJ has a sortable text version for anyone who doesn't want to wade through the PDF.
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad My store is on the list. I'm not wholly surprised though. There's a much more popular B&N in the next-door shopping center. Unfortunately for me, the manga section in that B&N is much smaller and less diverse than Borders' section.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
They're closing all the stores in my area (6 locations!!)! ;__; I'll have to drive 15-30 miles to go to a bookstore now!

Seriously, I saw that, too. They must think we SoCalers don't read or something. I think the Hollywood store will now be the closest one, and I'm not driving to Hollywood just for that.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Boo, mines on that list! I live near the one in Vienna and that one's only about a 10 minute drive away from me. >< I do have a second one I go to but it's more of a pain to get to. DX

Last edited by Redlinks on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
nekedo wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that good the one near me isnt closing but for getting new manga in the store is going to be limited maybe

No, they'll continue to operate normally, as they say.

I just really hope people don't freak out and stop going to Borders altogether (of course, if a local one is closing, that can't be helped). They can't recuperate if they aren't making money.

But if the suppliers aren't getting paid, they're under no obligation to continue sending product to Borders. They just can't go after them for the current debts for now.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
(slams head against the wall) Great, both mine are closing down. And one of them always seemed busy as far as I can tell, I can't even imagine how much business the non-closing ones get.

I guess my Borders Rewards Plus membership won't be a total waste as I can still order stuff, but still, talk about massive disappointments. Also, my condolences to all those who lost their jobs because of this.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Darn the one I always go to is closing. This Sucks
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
C'mon, guys!

It's not like this is ENTIRELY unexpected!

Borders has been in trouble for years! Trouble's been brewing for at least the part of a decade now!

(Frankly, I'm surprised BOTH Columbus locations are closing but I guess the holiday was not good at all for both locations or they're really losing money at both. I thought at least one would stay open. The closing of the #2 store -- the neat-looking, distinct one -- is sad.

(I was surprised to see either of the Chicago stores still open. I thought they were both closed long ago!)

Ultimately, I think all the large chain book stores will be closed -- including at least a huge chunk of Barnes & Noble. What will survive will probably be secondary, second-hand discount stores like Books-A-Million and Half-Price Books. There's always people looking for a good deal and I think that's part of why they will survive. Most of us don't want to pay full retail with as expensive as paper products have become. I know I'm borrowing a LOT more from the library now! The price tag just isn't worth it in most cases.

In many ways, Borders and Barnes & Noble stores were a bad idea to begin with. All that retail space that has to be paid for in many expensive mall areas and the atmosphere in those stores that encourages consumers to read unpaid-for-merchandise in coffee boutiques doesn't equal a great plan for profits it seems. When the economy goes south, the overhead for that space and staff becomes crippling. At any point in time, when you have a store being used a library by many people, that's just not good long-term. You cannot blame consumers for the stores instituting a policy that's detrimental to the stores in the long run.

Borders' own discount plans probably hurt it, too. I rarely paid full price for anything when they gave me (after submitting my e-mail address) 20% and 30% off coupons off their merchandise. By the time Borders instituted a pay-for Rewards card like B & N, it was too late. That stream of revenue should have been instituted in the 1990s.

Books will survive -- just not in large retail environments. Ultimately, books will become cyberspace downloads but they'll always be some printed for distribution from online warehouse sites like Amazon.

The good thing that may come out of this may be the return of smaller bookstore venues besides used bookstores, or maybe we'll get lucky and some used bookshops WILL expand to fill part of the huge gaping hole left by the Borders and Barnes & Noble stores.

The only thing that's consistent is change. Very little truly dies off... Things that are meant to be evolve.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Two stores near me. Heavily discounted manga Smile
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, this doesn't affect me much. I've never been to a Borders bookstore and where i'm from, we have Barnes & Nobles - Retail priced manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I live in San Francisco, and they're closing two of it's stores! I'm guessing that that they are getting rid of their lowest performing stores right? My complaint about that: The smart thing they should have done was close only 1 San Francisco store and find another store to close.

Before you ask why, I'll explain: One of the stores was only a few years old, it was one of the stores they got into a new mall. Now you must be thinking it's not that bad. Oh but it is... the problem is that it's within walking distance of the other one that is closing! It's not that close, but it's still close enough to say "hey... maybe I should check out the one at Westfield/ Union Square".

They should have kept one of them... but no they had to close both of them... (sigh) at least the one at Stonestown is going to still be open.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to here this, I have a lot of affection for the company even if I don't actually shop there.

There was a Borders in Ireland for awhile, but it closed down when they got bought by another company and pulled out of the country. It was probably the best book shop I've ever been to due to the huge size and range of stuff you don't tend to see anywhere else, even if it did look like a supermarket. Plus, coffee places in bookshops are one of the great American innovations I wish would catch on here.

In my case there were plenty of other chains to fill in the gap (although one of them has also closed now...), I can't imagine what it would be like if Borders was your sole place to get books and manga.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Damn - I knew this was going to happen! Sad

kyokun703 wrote:
FeralKat wrote:
They're closing all the stores in my area (6 locations!!)! ;__; I'll have to drive 15-30 miles to go to a bookstore now!

Seriously, I saw that, too. They must think we SoCalers don't read or something. I think the Hollywood store will now be the closest one, and I'm not driving to Hollywood just for that.

The Bridge (Rave) store is closing, and the Borders Westwood store (the one that was closest to me) closed last month. Thank God, I didn't see the Torrance store listed. That's the best Borders in the L.A. area and if that one had closed, it would've been a disaster for manga fans, as it has the best manga selection of all the Borders in this city (the ones that REMAIN, that is).

I am shocked that the San Francisco Union Square Borders is on the closing list. Whenever I visit SF that store has always been one of my favorite places to hang out at. Their cafe has a fantastic view of Union Square, and it always looked like it was doing great business. WTF?

This is a sad day for manga fans.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
2 of the 3 by me are closing (of course, the 2 closest ones :p)

OH NOES!! WHERE ARE THE MANGA COWS GUNNA SIT DOWN AND READ WITHOUT PAYING NOW??!! What's that? The library? I thought Borders WAS a library!!
Imma blame them for never buying anything :/

Well, I guess I'll go check them out once a clearance sale is announced (unless they're just moving stock to different stores, but I'm sure they want to liquidate something!)

Real sad though, I know someone who worked at one of my local ones :/
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
To tell y'all the honest to God truth, for the past two years or so I have only been going to Borders when there is a coupon available. Those 33-40% off ones usually shave to price down to a couple cents from Amazon's. Other than a discounted Blu-ray here and there, their prices aren't that competitive. Even those "buy four, get one free" sales aren't even that great. No need to wait for one of those rare sales because I can get manga 20% off every day of the year on Amazon or TSRI, no tax, free shipping. Cows kinda killed it for me too. I won't pay retail for something that has dirty fingerprints and ripped pages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7