• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Plans Get Harry Potter Scriptwriter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
Sounds like it might mess up. I have my doubt that the script might change a lot for the sake of family-friendly film. It's not going to be as bad as the other live-action movies from animes since I've seen the director's other works and they were decent. Still this movie might turn out to be another blockbuster filled with corny lines and rushed story, total lack of research for original material.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
What the hell? Why hire a writer whose only hits were with movies which were gonna make money, anyway? Also, how come no mention of James Franco as Kaneda, or Mila Kunis being initially attached to the project?
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
This is probably one of the best screenwriters they could get. At the very least, they'd be experienced with adapting pre-existing work that is faithful to the tone even if the content is slightly different. The HP series manages to be both enjoyable for those who have read the book (and aren't nitpicking every detail left out) and accessable for general audiences.

They're probably marketing it to an older audience too, judging from reports that Brad Pitt, James Franco, and Mila Kunis have all been approached to do it, and NONE of them look like teenagers anymore. Which works if Tetsuo is himself still a teenager (a "mentor-figure on the search for his surrogate son" type of deal).

In any case, this is probably good news. I would rather have an adaptation in the style of Harry Potter rather than one in the style of [insert recent anime-related adaptation disaster here].
j Talbain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
It can only go two way's. It's going to be respected and made well, or it's going to end up like Speed Racer and make me hate Warner.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
so it will be faithfull to the source matierial, but skip the most important parts, and fall apart. No, sounds cool I realy hope this turns out well.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
need someone truly passionate who sees anime as more than just a bunch of flat moving pictures. someone like chris nolan
6Hokage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
wow, wow, wow... you mean to tell me this isn't a joke? They actually making american Akira? Are they sane? They what, deliberately want a tanked movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
Sounds like it might mess up. I have my doubt that the script might change a lot for the sake of family-friendly film. It's not going to be as bad as the other live-action movies from animes since I've seen the director's other works and they were decent. Still this movie might turn out to be another blockbuster filled with corny lines and rushed story, total lack of research for original material.
*sigh* I've never understood why the hell people feel like they can make random assumptions like this, especially since we practically don’t know A DAMN THING about how the movie is gonna go down as of now. Rolling Eyes
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Well we do know that the studio is pushing for a PG-13 rating on this one, and given all the stuff that happens in Akira, no way can it be really faithful unless it was rated-R.

I'm hopeful for the best... And Speed Racer was awesome! In fact it was much better than the source material.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks like its going to suck even more then I thought it will be
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I never had the chance to see the anime version and the books were too expensive for me to buy I only know of it thru ads for the anime on television. The only anime I saw that comes close to it is Voilence Jack and one I saw on the Cartoon Network who's name I don't remember I hope that the scriptwriter and the director do a good job adapting this manga as for the rating I do agree it should be R rated do to it subject matter and do justice to the book. Razz
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
6Hokage wrote:
wow, wow, wow... you mean to tell me this isn't a joke? They actually making american Akira? Are they sane? They what, deliberately want a tanked movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

I was just gonna reference that. "They got Harry Partridge to write the script?"
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:

It's bound to fail ultimately if change solely for the sake of making it a family friendly flim. Won't be as bad as Dragon Ball Z Evolution considering that is easily one of the worst adaptions ever made in history, but might or might not be as worse as Speed Racer live action movie.

Rushed story, minimal to none research for original material and actors that try too hard to be funny is almost never a recipe for a excellent movie.

But I don't get why some scripts are changed for the sake of being family friendly. If parents really want ultra clean G rated, they should watch Pixar movies. I've read Akira and in no way's is it G rated at all, which it shouldn't be.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:

Why would it be a family friendly film? Because the guy worked on Harry Potter? That's a silly assumption to make. The main point here isn't that the guy worked on Harry Potter so he must only do kids movies, it's that he has been adapting a major franchise for an entire decade, and has adaptations of several other novels under his belt, so he's an expert at adapting long material for the screen. And whether you like Harry Potter or not, the movies have been adapted extremely well. If nothing else, his involvement is a reason to not be worried about the film.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Well we do know that the studio is pushing for a PG-13 rating on this one, and given all the stuff that happens in Akira, no way can it be really faithful unless it was rated-R.

I'm hopeful for the best... And Speed Racer was awesome! In fact it was much better than the source material.
You lost all credibility with that last statement, bro. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2