• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paranoia Agent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
The show just gets more and more bizarre. Now I've just seen a guy spewing out letters and such. Can anyone explain what that was all about? I haven't seen Maromi for a while either.

Don't panic. The next episode is, in a sense, all about Maromi, and has lots of Maromi screen time in one form or another. It's also a neat episode for those who have ever wondered what, exactly, some positions in the credits of an anime series actually do.

As for your question, the whole point of that episode is that Lil' Slugger has become the stuff of urban legend, so that incident just a fanciful take on one. (You did notice how the shape of the buildings spelled out the title of the episode in the very last frame, right?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for your question, the whole point of that episode is that Lil' Slugger has become the stuff of urban legend, so that incident just a fanciful take on one. (You did notice how the shape of the buildings spelled out the title of the episode in the very last frame, right?)

Yeah, so is ETC supposed to mean something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Key wrote:

Yeah, so is ETC supposed to mean something?

Well, you know it is short for etcetera, right? It is a Latin term that means "and the rest".

According to Encarta Dictionary:

Quote:
adverb

and so on: used to indicate that a list contains other unspecified items

noun

something or somebody unspecified: one of several or many unspecified things or people

[< Latin, "and the rest"]

So it was just a reference to the various stories that have built up around the legend of Lil Slugger.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
"What!? They found out about the KICKBACKS!? Get lil' slugger in here" Laughing
mitora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Sy wrote:
The show just gets more and more bizarre. Now I've just seen a guy spewing out letters and such. Can anyone explain what that was all about?

Oh yeah, I saw that the buildings were shaped like letters but I did'nt get a chance to see what it said.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
I actually thought all of the rumors were ways for Satoshi Kon and the rest of the staff to present other episode ideas that they couldn't do. I figured they didn't want things to get stale by continuing to show individual Lil Slugger incidents so they just took some of the other ideas they were throwing around and shoved em all into one episode. I actually liked the one with the doctor. As far as the episode title I thought that "Ect." meant "Yeah yeah, here are some more Lil Slugger stories, you get the idea." Still don't understand last week's ep. title though.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing a possible explanation of the title "HAPPY FAMILY PLANNING" here

but it's... somewhere... but for the most part, I don't really have an idea for that

-------------------------------

I think my favorite one was either the boxing thing or the rocket thing *when you see the look on everyone's face, it's priceless*

... it's hard to choose really
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
"Mother: help me Toshi!
Shounen bat: sure! *Thwack""

kills me every time
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
.Sy wrote:
The show just gets more and more bizarre. Now I've just seen a guy spewing out letters and such. Can anyone explain what that was all about? I haven't seen Maromi for a while either.

Don't panic. The next episode is, in a sense, all about Maromi, and has lots of Maromi screen time in one form or another. It's also a neat episode for those who have ever wondered what, exactly, some positions in the credits of an anime series actually do.

The episode Key noted aired last night on Adult Swim. Although I still view it as a filler episode, I thought it was the best by far of the block of eqpisodes starting with 8 and ending with 10. This episode, centered around a proposed anime series titled "Mellow Maromi," was educational in more ways than one, and it seemed to be an microseries within the series-- it had it's own beginning, middle, and end, yet as an episode it was part of the larger series.

Earlier in this thread someone noted how Episode 5 seemed to be filler yet was a recap of the earlier episodes done in stylized RPG format. I didn't view this episode as filler at all since the main characters were involved and the story was advancing. I'm not into RPGs, but I realized this was a recap of events from the earlier episodes.

The recent filler episodes-- I don't know how else to describe them-- have to have some purpose otherwise they wouldn't be part of the series. The purpose goes beyond being filler, too. I realize they provide a change of pace from the earlier storyline, and I can deal with that. I just didn't like episode 8 with the three online friends meeting for real at all, and I thought episode 9 with the urban legends was a bit letter. The "Mellow Maromi" episode, though, was by far in my opinon the best of this group by a wide margin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3