• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds 3rd Sgt. Frog Anime Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
And release more Detective Conan! Or at least give us season 6 that contain the episodes where spoiler[Haibara, the Black Organization member who created the drug that shrunk Shinichi]is shown! Very Happy

Sadly, not going to happen... there's a thread on Funimation's site that says they are basically done with the TV series, because of how poorly it was selling.

Although I think it's dumb that they went and hired an English voice actor for Haibara for the Detective Conan Wii game if they weren't planning on doing the episodes that she is in...
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
yay for more sgt frog. was afraid they weren't gonna do any more episodes after the possibility of tv deal fell apart.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
This is rather surprising news since FUNimation said sales tanked for this series.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Now all we need is D.Gray-man's third season...

Considering they keep re-releasing D Gray man on DVD and Blu-ray I think there is a pretty good chance they will pick up the second half at some point.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
This is rather surprising news since FUNimation said sales tanked for this series.

i dont think they ever said it was tanking :/ they just said it wasn't selling gangbusters on ANNcast once (atleast thats all I remember)

wasn't there even a thing on ANN about Funimation saying at a convention that it was doing pretty ok for them?
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I wonder if by "3rd season" they mean episodes 52-78 or all of Japan's 2nd season (episodes 52-103) their way of diving this series really makes it kindof confusing Anime hyper but whatever, I'll buy every volume!

They're likely going to do what they did before and split up what is really the second season into a season "3" and "4". In any case (and I don't know about anyone else), I find it insulting that Funimation would take the 51 episode 1st season and split in two, calling the second half the "2nd season". That's not how the episodes were organized or "marketed" in Japan. This was actually why I decided not to get the DVDs.

That being said, the only way I'm going to watch these episodes is if they put them on their streaming site like they did before. Also, I only intend to watch the Japanese version since I don't approve of how Funimation decided to handle the dub (which, long story short, doesn't know whether it wants to be a gag dub or a Woolseyism, but I go on).

I would say that I look forward to the release of these episodes, but again, I only look forward to them for their streaming site. I also realize that some of you might diagree with my reasons for not getting the DVDs, but for me, it's the principle of it. Most Japanese shows don't have a specific "season" structure, but in this event, I want to watch the actual "first season" of a Japanese anime, and not the R1 company's personally "idealized" first season. Maybe, just maybe if Funimation reconsidered their stance and treated episodes 1-51 as the first season it's supposed to be with the aforementioned 52-103 as the actual second season, then maybe I might consider getting the DVDs. However, I realize that likely won't be possible, thus my decision not to get the DVDs that are out there now.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I wonder if by "3rd season" they mean episodes 52-78 or all of Japan's 2nd season (episodes 52-103) their way of diving this series really makes it kindof confusing Anime hyper but whatever, I'll buy every volume!

They're likely going to do what they did before and split up what is really the second season into a season "3" and "4". In any case (and I don't know about anyone else), I find it insulting that Funimation would take the 51 episode 1st season and split in two, calling the second half the "2nd season". That's not how the episodes were organized or "marketed" in Japan. This was actually why I decided not to get the DVDs.

That being said, the only way I'm going to watch these episodes is if they put them on their streaming site like they did before. Also, I only intend to watch the Japanese version since I don't approve of how Funimation decided to handle the dub (which, long story short, doesn't know whether it wants to be a gag dub or a Woolseyism, but I go on).

I would say that I look forward to the release of these episodes, but again, I only look forward to them for their streaming site. I also realize that some of you might diagree with my reasons for not getting the DVDs, but for me, it's the principle of it. Most Japanese shows don't have a specific "season" structure, but in this event, I want to watch the actual "first season" of a Japanese anime, and not the R1 company's personally "idealized" first season. Maybe, just maybe if Funimation reconsidered their stance and treated episodes 1-51 as the first season it's supposed to be with the aforementioned 52-103 as the actual second season, then maybe I might consider getting the DVDs. However, I realize that likely won't be possible, thus my decision not to get the DVDs that are out there now.

ah. well I don't care what they call it really. the 2nd season has Karara and the Garuru Platoon Arc in it. If they're on a nice DVD I can watch over and over without ads on my pretty new TV, then I'll be a gettin' it gosh-darnit Anime hyper
but whatever man, more DVDs for me X3 (there's always the option of making your own DVD cover for it with it labeled correctly if you wanna get creative. which I've also thought about doing because I'm a huge nerd about covers sometimes lol)

they probably will split it up again (if they even licensed episodes 79-103 to begin with) but the opening and ending sequences change halfway as well. so they'd probably be able to get away with spliting them up easier anyway Anime hyper
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
OH THANK GOODNESS~ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
I find it insulting that Funimation would take the 51 episode 1st season and split in two, calling the second half the "2nd season". That's not how the episodes were organized or "marketed" in Japan. This was actually why I decided not to get the DVDs.

...Wow, really? Those are some arbitrary standards you got there.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
My friend loves Keroro Gunso, so she's gonna love this. All I need is the re-release of Haibane Renmei!

Funimation license rescued Haibane Renmei last year. There are other titles from that rescue which I would ant to see this year, hopefully.

After watching the first episode, I became a fan of Sgt. Frog. This announcement makes me happy to know that there is more along the way. If you have not seen this, you should go watch it right now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
This is the first announcement of a TV series for physical release that Funi has made in over 6 months - the long drought is over. Doesn't mean much to me personally, because I haven't checked out any of Sgt. Frog yet, but I'm just happy that Funi has finally announced something.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of curious about how Funi did admit that Sgt. Frog hadn't been a stellar success for them, but they are obviously going ahead with more releases. It makes me wonder if we are going to get anymore One Piece after Skypiea finishes with this final release. Or is all the hype over OP not translating into good sales the deathknell? I really want them to keep going, this is where OP REALLY takes off.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

gotta say, that is the stupidest excuse for not buying a dvd i have ever heard of. i mean its not like it would change the way funi realeased the episodes. anyways i don't think they even refer to is as seasons in japan since it runs all year the best way to call the second set of 50 episodes is the second year.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
While I don't expect to see a show like D. Gray-Man get announced for quite some time, I was surprised to see a third season of SGT. Frog was announced before a third season of Kenichi.

There is no 3rd season of Kenichi. That show only had 50 episodes all of which have already been released by FUNi across two 25-episode seasons.

GordanHam wrote:
Also, did FUNimation say they wanted to continue releasing the tv series for Case Closed and that is why they went through the effort of releasing so many of the movies to test the waters on whether they could bring the show back. I'm guessing the movies just didn't sell well enough.

No, they said the movies actually sold pretty well and that they may continue to release those, but the TV series didn't, hence the cancellation. Although I do think they said they liked the show, but it just wasn't selling well enough to make a profit and offset dubbing costs, which is sad because its one of my favorite shows Crying or Very sad
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Awesome!

Now all they need to do is announce more Shinchan!

QFT!! I needz me some more ass dance!!

GordanHam wrote:
I was surprised to see a third season of SGT. Frog was announced before a third season of Kenichi.

Um, Kenichi is only 50 eps, they've released the entire series.

jmaeshawn wrote:
Although I think it's dumb that they went and hired an English voice actor for Haibara for the Detective Conan Wii game if they weren't planning on doing the episodes that she is in...

She's in movies 3-6 that they dubbed, so that's a lot of VA work she did for the role, besides the Wii game.

I thinks it's great that they picked this up, I've been wanting to get the Sgt. Frog sets for a while now, since I've watched all the dubbed Shin-chans about a million times and need more of that ridiculous Funi comedy.

Like others said I hope this bodes well for Shin-Chan, D. Gray Man, and One Piece. Especially One Piece, I'm gonna be destroyed if they stop doing OP!!!

Urahara Out!!
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Finally!!! More awesome randomness to enjoy in English!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4