• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some pages ending up mostly in italics when using Internet Explorer

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes when the title of a news story has italics, and the italics tags apparently aren't closed correctly, it makes all subsequent text on the page be in italics when viewed with Internet Explorer (I normally use IE 9). However, the problem doesn't occur when using Firefox. The issue doesn't seem to be affected by which skin I use (it occurs with both the 2010 skin and the 2006 skin when using IE 9).

As an example of what I'm talking about, right now on the front page there is a news story titled "Bandai Namco Games Announces 2nd Kuroko's Basketball Game". In that text, the words "Kuroko's Basketball" are apparently supposed to be in italics. However, the italics don't stop, and all subsequent text in the main section of the front page are in italics (the sidebar isn't affected). In Firefox, it still seems that the tags weren't closed correctly, as the word "Game" in the title is in italics. However, unlike in Internet Explorer, the italics don't continue on past that one news story title, so it isn't really much of an issue (a whole page in italics is hard to read, but one or two extra words in italics doesn't affect much).

While I'm using the front page as an example, this doesn't just occur on the front page, but also on some encyclopedia pages. If a news story in the section for news stories related to that encyclopedia entry has italics that aren't closed correctly, then the rest of the encyclopedia page ends up in italics (including all the cast and credits).

If there is any way to fix these news stories so that the italics don't continue past the title, then it would be helpful for me as I like to use IE and find the pages all in italics hard to read. However, if it isn't feasable to fix them then it isn't a major problem. I figured I would point out the issue though in case it can be fixed.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
FF doesn't have the problem because I believe (like Chrome) it auto-closes most tag mistakes.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The word "game" is showing in italics in Chrome also.
On the beta site, the word "game" is italicised in Internet Explorer, however the rest of the page is normal.

This is the code in question:

Code:
    <div class="newslink"><a href="/interest/2013-07-31/bandai-namco-games-announces-2nd-kuroko-basketball-game">Bandai Namco Games Announces 2nd <cite>Kuroko's Basketball</i> Game</a></div>
    <i><cite class="e anime"><a href="/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=11816">Kuroko no Basuke</a></cite> -Shōri e no Kiseki-</i> 3DS game to feature original story
    <div class="talk">
      [ <a href="/interest/2013-07-31/bandai-namco-games-announces-2nd-kuroko-basketball-game">full article</a> |
      <span class="datetime">
        5 hours, 43 minutes ago - 2013-07-31 22:00 BST
      </span>
      ]
    </div>
  </div>

This is an earlier, unaffected article:
Code:
    <div class="newslink"><a href="/interest/2013-07-31/makai-oji/devils-and-realist-3ds-game-ad-streamed"><cite>Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist</cite> 3DS Game Ad Streamed</a></div>
    Game hits shelves in Japan on September 26 in limited, standard editions
    <div class="talk">
      [ <a href="/interest/2013-07-31/makai-oji/devils-and-realist-3ds-game-ad-streamed">full article</a> |
      <span class="datetime">
        4 hours, 29 minutes ago - 2013-07-31 23:00 BST
      </span>
      ]
    </div>
  </div>

The problem seems to stem from the headline having a <cite> matched with a </i>.

--edit--

on the Beta site the code for the headline is
Code:
<a href="/interest/2013-07-31/bandai-namco-games-announces-2nd-kuroko-basketball-game">Bandai Namco Games Announces 2nd <cite>Kuroko's Basketball Game</cite></a>

I'm not sure why "Game" has been included in the <cite>, but it is at least consistent.

--edit--

OK, the problem isn't with the site code but with the article itself which has mismatched tags in the title. The Beta site is just behaving more cleverly, in that it is stripping out the mismatched </i> tag and closing the <cite> tag at the end of the line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for looking into this, Shiroi Hane. Since it sounds like the beta site handles the mismatched tags better, maybe there is no need to fix this, as once the beta site becomes the main site it won't be a problem anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1